Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I finally joined the club - bought a CJ2A!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 3:59am
As many have already said -> welcome to the club, and you have a great start.

It would not be as much fun if you did not have some small things to tinker with.

As you know, we live reasonably close, and I would be willing to help however I can . . PLUS maybe do some trail riding some day (when warmer    )
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 4:18am
Welcome.  Good looking CJ2A.  Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the issues.  What year is the Jeep? 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 5:11am
Congratulations!   

Data---> http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 11:38am
Thanks for the warm welcome fellas.  As some of you know, I've been lurking a couple months and made a few posts.  I'm stoked to finally have my own and get working on it.  I'm sure there will be a lot of questions to follow, but I always to try to search the archives first, and so far I have found a ton of great info.  Its a 1948 model by the title and serial tag number.  I don't know if the motor is original to the jeep, but its seems that its in the same ballpark. 

Serial # tag: CJ2A 217528
Motor: J277264

I'm just about to turn 60, so I look at this as my early birthday present (and as my wife says, Christmas too).  Should be a lot of fun, I just need to shake out a few bugs and do some maintenance.

Thanks,
Steve
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 1:32pm
That looks like a great rig.

Have fun and congratulations!

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 2:02pm
Really Cool!!! These are my favorite posts on this site Smile It's awesome to read the excitement in the posters text. It always brings me back to that feeling of bringing a new one home..... Congrats! 
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 2:37pm
Great Find ! ...... it will lighten the wallet from now-on. Hahaha

These little willys truly Are very addicting and loads of fun.

Now, they just cannot compete with the new RZR side-by-sides, due to weight.

My friends who go to Idaho hunting come home cussing because as they are slogging about in the snow with their skinny tires, the Side-by-Side's are literally running-circles around them.

Now, if those hunter would run some bias-ply tires aired down to 4-PSI, it then becomes a different ball-game.

Above me in the Sierra's, at the High-Lakes Desolation area above Stirling City in California, it is not uncommon to run-around in August on an 8-foot deep snow pack. I was having trouble climbing back out at 8-PSI, and a Local guy came upon me with 38-inch Dick Cepeks, and he asked me what pressure I was running, and I told hime 8-PSI.
   His first words, that won't work up here ! Drop to 4-PSI.
I marched right on up and out like the jeep had on Snowshoes.   amazing.
    Yes, i have a dent in my front fender today from that trip. i was on a slight side-hill and the front broke traction and slide sideways into a tree.

Enjoy that new "girlfriend" ...... hahaha

Len
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

Enjoy that new "girlfriend" ...

My wife would tell you "mistress" LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 5:46pm
Congrats! looks like you have a solid platform to work from. It will be interesting. I have owned my 2A for about a year now, it had several issues but hopefully have resolved most them. For your brakes I would suggest just bleed the brakes and completely change the fluid before doing anything else. It is simple to do and can make a world of difference in those old brakes. It did on mine. It might also give you a chance to drive it some before you start any major work. good Luck!     
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 5:50pm
The master cylinder was leaking like a stuck pig, so I ordered and received a new one from Walck's, plus a lot of other goodies.  When it warms up in the garage I'll get back to work on it.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 5:56pm
Yeah, that could be part of your brake problem!
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 4:36am
   Brakes ! I just had a thought:

I'd bet you could improve braking substantially by installing new wheel cylinders with slightly larger bore size, maybe used in later jeeps, if they bolt to the backing plates. larger bore = more force on the shoes.

I think I did this to my '46 that I prepped for the Rubicon in 1985. I don't think I messed with master cylinder, just installed a new one.

Also, I didn't want the E-brake hanging down, and took it off.

If my memory is correct, I installed 1-inch "add-a-leafs" to boost the height to run Armstrong Tru-trac's which were a 32-inch and they fit into the wheel wells barely, without tearing up anything.

Enjoy your tinkering ...........

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2018 at 11:50pm
I have to agree that you have a great start. Body looks great. Looks like it might have a heater? All those little things like the air filter, oil filter parts, nut/bolts/brackets etc. will nickel and dime you to death when you start with one that is in pieces. Yours looks like it has all the hard to find stuff. I agree with just fixing the stuff that needs fixing and then drive and enjoy it for a few years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12