Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I give up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I give up
    Posted: 16 Mar. 2018 at 7:08pm
So I have my windshield all stripped down I can now see exactly what needs to be done to straighten it. Won't be hard to do at all. I ma going to have to make a few alterations to get my windshield defroster/Windshield Wiper setup to work the way I want. The Vent Brace and Bail has to be removed. Which is fine since I never liked that it had no way to PULL the vent closed. I'll change all that with a little screw jack assembly (more fun stuff to create).

But what I have decided to give up on is stripping this thing. I a wire brushed the bottom tube and after picking all the busted wires out of my clothes and hacking up the crap that gets around the face mask (YEA Beard) I have decided to just give up. I called the local sandblaster guys and the guy said he thought it would run around 50 bucks to strip it for me. So I figure $75.00 and I can deal with that.

I'll get it blasted then get some sealer on it and then figure out the straightening and how to mount up the Wiper system and Defroster box.

I'm way tired of wearing my hands out trying to grind crap off metal and there's places on the windshield I just can't get a wire wheel or cup into

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2018 at 9:08pm
I feel your pain...

I guess my only comment might be for the 50-75 bucks you could pick up a cheapy blast gun, and the time delivering/waiting/picking up you could probably do it even with waiting on a compressor duty cycle...

My way you end up with the blasting gun... your way you enjoy a tasty beverage and your stripped windshield appears.

Win either way LOL 
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 4:37am
I did my windshield with "ScotchBrite" wheel on 4.5" grinder and a blast gun as mbullism mentioned.   No wires stuck in clothes or skin.   I always work outside with a slight breeze to avoid breathing dust.   The wheel was quick on easy-to-reach surfaces,  the blaster finished off the hard-to-reach spots.

This blaster has served me well,  and made in USA.   I actually got lucky and bought it for half the normal price.   I think it was one of those times I was looking for "close-outs" to add to cart to get free shipping.  haha

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 6:27am
I have both a cabinet and a bucket feed blaster and its the huge mess, the crap in my lungs. Its going to come down to money and time. The blaster closes at 5:00 and I never know when I will get off. And until my spring bonus comes in money is tight. I have some time I need the frame ready for primer before Memorial day weekend as that is when I plan to paint.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 10:07am
for what it's worth - I spent a small fortune on sand blasting. Whole body and 2 batches of smaller parts.

Worth EVERY cent! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
CBAUER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBAUER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 1:30am
I got a kiddy pool and did eletrolisis (witches brew) did it on side turned it over did the other side, wham bam thank you mam! 24 hours later and it loosen the paint then pressure washer cuts the rust and paint of let dry then prime.
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 2:15am
I'm wondering about using something like a paint of gel stripper then power washer. Got a frame I want to do when it warms a bit. Wonder if "KutsIt" would do the job.

The Blaster don't sound bad either. Have you tried baking soda in it?
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 4:15am
No I haven't tried soda. And I would not use a chemical strip on something with as many nooks and crannies as a 3A windshield frame. Be great to paint and then have some of the stripper leak out of some where and ruin the paint job.

I currently have the inside and 1/4 of the exterior of the frame down to clean metal. I will have the rest of the exterior done tomorrow with sanding pads and small wire wheels. I will then blast the few narrow or obstructed places on the inside I was not able to get at with the wheels and pads.

As soon as I decided to just have this blasted I got the call that work was starting back up for the season so getting it to the sandblasters place was going to be a PITA so I just started grinding away at it.

Work got cancelled for tomorrow so I'll finish up the stripping in the morning and maybe be able to get it straightened out in the afternoon. Then filler and a bunch of sanding. And it will also be ready for primer.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply