Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I got new shoes! 34x9x16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2017 at 1:43am
Lee, the narrow 32" TSL might be a better "all-around" tire for these Willys.  Mine are the 34" and certainly require lots of lift.  I don't know that that much tire is necessary.  After watching the guys on the Rubicon with their 28-31" tires, I might be hard pressed to not go with the 32".  I don't know that they would be any softer, but they would definitely fit better in the fender well.  I did want the wider wheels, but these 4.5" wheels were all I could find.  Only time on the trail with them aired way down will tell if I need to weld in a bead lock/hump or not.

Jeff,  I aired down at the trailhead; 10 psi.  I wanted to go lower, but was afraid to because they were untested below 10 psi.

My biggest issue/drawback/disadvantage with this jeep is the rigid, rock solid suspension.  It gives less than these tires do.  I'm going to be removing some leafs and experimenting to see if this helps.  I think with softer suspension I might not even notice these hard tires.  Doesn't matter what kind of tire you have if it isn't touching the ground.Wink
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2017 at 3:47am
I really liked the 32inch Swampers on my other 2A....they were on 7inch wheels.

Got lots of comments on them in '97-'98.....I don't think they were real common on the Rubicon then.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2017 at 2:54pm

My biggest issue/drawback/disadvantage with this jeep is the rigid, rock solid suspension.  It gives less than these tires do.  I'm going to be removing some leafs and experimenting to see if this helps.  I think with softer suspension I might not even notice these hard tires.  Doesn't matter what kind of tire you have if it isn't touching the ground.Wink
[/QUOTE]

I also tried some re-shuffling of leaves in my jeep as each leaf in the spring pack was like 3/8" and the springs were not compliant. I also tried some plastic liners between the leaves to reduce friction; it's better but not what I'd like.

From watching the videos, it seemed like if your jeep had more flexibility it could have idled through the Rubicon without breaking a sweat, very impressive! I did notice in your earlier video that the tub was flexing quite a bit and working on a stress crack on the passenger side opening.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2017 at 8:03pm
Rick -- do you have full turning radius? On my CJ2A the 205/85/R16 tires (a little over 32" tall) ALMOST rub the frame. In fact, I ordered a set of wheel spacers but did not need to use them.

Mike
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 3:39am
Mike, I have a better turning radius than I did with the 33X12.50's, but I don't know if it is near original or not.  I never notice the turning radius driving around town, it's only on the trails where I notice it.  I notice it on the trails because it doesn't turn worth a hoot because of the front locker.  I usually have to make at least a 3 point turn or sometimes take it out of 4WD altogether just to make a tight turn.

My Videos
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 5:43pm
Thanks, Rick. I figured they might be problematic on tight trails.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2017 at 5:39am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

From watching the videos, it seemed like if your jeep had more flexibility it could have idled through the Rubicon without breaking a sweat, very impressive! I did notice in your earlier video that the tub was flexing quite a bit and working on a stress crack on the passenger side opening.

Yeah, I noticed that in the video also.  I didn't realize how much stress that crack area gets.  With all that flexing  and the fact that my wife cut her foot on it, I'm going to put a small piece of angle across it and bolt or rivet it on for the short term fix.  I don't want to weld it now because it will just burn all the paint off and it won't look so good, plus I think the angle brace will work better anyway.

My Videos
Den View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Den Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2017 at 7:27pm
Rubicon... Awesome! Watching the videos has given me flatty fever again. I had to sell my 3 before leaving Illinois, none ran but was going to pull the best parts to make 1 runner... Anyhow...

On getting the tires to flex, I had the bigger brother to them, Q78's on a TJ, all set up on beadlocks for a Moab trip... At the end of the first day I was at 0psi trying to get them to flex, with beadlocks was able to pull this off, highway driving was interesting though. When turning the long sweeping corner back into Moab it took what felt like forever for the tires to catch up to the angle of the wheels... fun! After 3 days of wheeling came out of hotel 4th morning and tires finally had a nice bulge in them. Aired up to 5psi for rest of the week. Problem was that they were still having issues enveloping around rocks and not not hooking up very well.

Back home pondered the issue thinking about my next trip out west, I liked the tall narrow look and had a fortune in them with the beadlocks, new shoes were not in the budget. Was watching a monster truck show and they were showing how they cut the tires for competition. Did some research on Pirate and found a few modifying their swampers. So I bought a tire grooving iron and cut a 3/16" groove across the center lugs. I used the wear indicators as a depth gauge and went about an 1/8" shy of that. Then modified the 1/4" blade to sipe the tires about 1/4" deep, didn't want the chunking I saw in some of the pictures. Took about 2 hours to do all 4.   Next trip to Moab was night and day. At 8psi I wasn't losing ground clearance but they wrapping around obstacles nicely and hooking up like glue...

Your flatty is sweet, that is goal I will be aiming for once I get better financials...

Dennis
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 4:01am
Den, I will keep that in mind if they don't soften up and break in for me.  Do you have any pics of what the final siping on your tires looked like?

My Videos
Den View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Den Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 6:19pm

Unfortunately you can't see the siping but can see the cuts across the tread blocks. Lost a bunch of pics during the divorce...

Den
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2017 at 12:11am
good vid! Love seeing flattys pushed and challanged. I do like the new tires however for rocks a wider fatter meat aired down 10psi or under would out perform the pizza cutters. 
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2017 at 2:37am
Yeah, The trails we like to go on out in UT were not created by the JKURs. Old flattys do their job well. You have to give an salute out for the old guys that were out stomping around in the rocks to find the best places to drive.
uncamonkey
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 4:47pm
Say Rick whats the actual tire height or diameter when fully inflated ? 
Maybe 33-1/4" or ????
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 10:53pm
Ken, on pavement and fully inflated they are 33 3/4".

My Videos
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2017 at 12:48am
Thanks Gary,  I'm rather surprised they are that tall.
You having any rubbing issues on and around the rear wheel house ?
Also wonder what was your tire pressure at Chinamans Gultch this year ? Down to 5 PSI ?

Sure wish we had better 7.50 x 16" Jeep tire selection here in the U.S.

Edited by oldtime - 27 Sep. 2017 at 1:01am
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2017 at 2:20pm
yes, I have some rubbing in the rear, but not too bad. On Chinaman Gultch this year, I was running 5-6 psi.  I popped two beads, so I'm probably going to try to stay around 10 psi.

Knowing the struggles I had on the pavement (taller tires=taller gears) at the FCT, I would probably recommend nothing larger than a 32" tire unless you have different gearing/motor.  I'm stock motor and gearing and I really struggled to maintain any speeds above 30 mph.

My Videos
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2017 at 3:58pm
Yeah your tires are 20% over standard diameter and tire weight makes a huge difference.
Back in the early 80's I came across  a set of 35" tall Ground Hawgs,
Could not get my stock 2A to run faster than 40 at WOT.

If you install lower gears your rig will be unstopable..... Ha Ha Ha !

I inspected my wheel houses again today and these should be near ideal on a basically stock Willys....

But I really wish I could find a set of Simex Jungle Trekkers.
Zero aftermarket parts

Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2017 at 5:17pm
I ran Buckshot Mudders on my ol CJ5 years ago.  Great tires in the mud.  Just don't stop on dry sand.  The CJ5 got the new name "Ditch Witch" that day.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>