Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing a Meyers Plow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing a Meyers Plow
    Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 8:55pm
Today I purchased a 6ft" Meyers plow for my CJ2A and I'm starting my research on how to install this system on my jeep.  The following photos are the plow installed on the previous owners jeep.  When I purchased the system, everything was uninstalled.

Edited by dluber - 08 Dec. 2018 at 11:55pm
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 8:58pm
Here are the parts as I received them:

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 9:03pm
In all, I have the blade, the mounting bracket for the frame - may be custom, a momentary switch, pump, and a cable release assembly.

My first issue that I'm having is with the frame mount as my '46 CJ2A has gussets on the frame that connect to the bumper.  Before I start hacking things up, I'm looking for some advice on the best approach to mounting the plow bracket to the frame.  I'm thinking that I will need to modify the bracket some to adjust for the gussets.  Open to suggestions.  Photos next.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 9:06pm
Here is a couple of photos that show the issue with the gussets:

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 9:17pm
The second area of focus is understanding the correct way to wire up the plow pump.  I have the momentary switch, and it appears there is a ground cable and a positive connector on the side of the pump, but I'm not sure if I'm missing a relay or some other junction box.  I believe the momentary switch is used to raise the plow and the cable release assembly is used to release the plow pump manually to drop the plow.  I will look for some references on-line.  I looked for identification of the model of the pump, but it appears it was repainted and there are no model numbers that I could find ATT.
-- update:  looks like the plow pump is a Meyers T5 or T6.  Not sure is a solenoid was used on that pump?

Edited by dluber - 08 Dec. 2018 at 9:31pm
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 9:43pm
dluber,

I have that plow and pump setup on my 1946 each winter but I also have a pto winch that I have to work around.

Your lower blade mount is custom.  The normal blade mount is separate from the lift and mounts to the frame in four places.

The Meyer pump you have looks like a T6 lift.  I think I have a T5.  There are two battery type cables that power the lift.  The one closest to the cylinder that mounts to the casting is the ground.  The one closer to the out end of the motor is the positive for the armature.  The cases are usually marked 12 volt or 6 volts.  

I will try to get you a picture of my lower mount and a picture of the lift.  I have not installed it yet this year but will in the next week or two - so your timing is good.

Stev 

Edited by Stev - 08 Dec. 2018 at 9:47pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 10:47pm
Thanks Stev,  I will look again for any identification of voltage or other markings on the T6.  One question, are you using a solenoid in your setup?  My '46 is wired for 12v so I hope it's a 12v pump.

-- Update:  I looked all over the pump and I see no signs of a tag or label or stamp with the voltage.  It does appear this pump was repainted at sometime.

Thanks,
Dave

Edited by dluber - 09 Dec. 2018 at 1:23am
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 1:03am
I did find some instructions on the T-5/T-6.

Edited by dluber - 09 Dec. 2018 at 1:12am
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 2:01am
Yes - I am using a momentary solenoid on the positive cable.  As long as you have the button pushed in the pump will run / lift the blade.  When lifting the blade you just have to eyeball the height of your lift.  Sometimes - like when you are pushing the edges of the lane back, you will want to old the blade 5 inches or so high - so you can push the pile but not scrape off all of the grass along the lane.
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 4:17am
Stev
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 11:18am
Stev,

That looks like a nice setup.  When we moved back to Maryland, we ended up with a house that has a long driveway and another separate driveway that leads to the external garage.  Each are about 100' long so the plow will really payoff.  One question on the wiring, I've purchased a solenoid from amazon and I understand the wiring from the battery and out to the motor on the plow.  For the momentary switch, I have a blue wire and a black wire.  Does one go to ground and the other to the small post in the middle of the solenoid?  I found some diagrams on the internet, but I only see the connection to the middle post on the solenoid, not the other wire.

Thanks,
Dave
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2018 at 4:25am
Stev,

I'm just about finished installing my plow, but I thought it might be good to change out the hydraulic fluid.  What type of fluid do you use in your T-5?

Thanks,
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply