Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing Inner Windshield Weather Strip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing Inner Windshield Weather Strip
    Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 9:08pm
Before I attempted to install the rubber inner windshield weather strip I talked to Carl Walck, from whom I bought it.  The strip is one piece  --  U-shaped.  He said to feed the long side into the notch, sliding it along until I reach the end, then feed the short ends into the notch and slide the weather strip into place.  Sounds easy!  But, I've spent the last half hour doing that with very little success.

The groove was scrapped clean, primed and painted so it is smooth. I doused the groove and weatherstrip with soapy water before feeding it in.

What advice do you have?  What has worked for you?

Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 9:39pm
Although it comes in one piece, it can't be installed that way.

What I did was to cut the piece at the corners so that the outside pieces would overlap the bottom piece at the corner. As for sliding the strips into the groove, I used dish detergent diluted with water about half and half and plenty of patience. I believe you are on the right track in that respect. Keep the rubber and the groove moist with the mix and slide the lead edge along the groove until it won't go any further. Play catch up with the rest of the strip.

What ever you do, the finished result won't keep water from leaking through the windshield. There will always be some small amount get through, because it can. My objective was to get the weather strip to lay down flat with a neat appearance.

Hope this helps...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 9:58pm
3/16" or 1/4" glass?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 9:59pm
Thanks.  When I talked to Carl Walck about installing the weather strip, I asked if it needed to be cut at the corners, since the strip I installed on an inner windshield frame about 10 years ago was in three pieces.  He said "No," the original strips were one piece and could be installed that way.

Well, I'll give it another go before cutting  it into pieces. 
Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
rodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 10:17pm
Mark,

I'm not installing the windshield glass: That comes after I get the weatherstrip that goes around the inner windshield frame installed.  But since you asked, the glass is 1/4".  I got a rubber strip which is continuous.  Walck's said it could either be cut into four strips with a 45 degree miter at the corners or a 45 degree miter cut at the corners before folding it around the glass.  What has been your experience installing the window glass?
Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 10:34pm
After my experience with windshield glass, I would never do it again. I ended up setting the glass in black RTV silicone and doing a lot of cleanup afterword. As careful as I was I still ended up with a crack across the extreme upper outside passenger glass. It is not so much that it interferes with the driver's vision, but still an unfortunate circumstance. The rubber strips that were supplied absolutely would not fit. They came in an Omix-ADA package and ended up in the trash...

If I ever need glass work again, a professional will have to do it.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 1:54am
He's not installing his glass. He's doing the rubber between the windshield and the frame. 

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 2:34am
Originally posted by minnow1193 minnow1193 wrote:

He's not installing his glass. He's doing the rubber between the windshield and the frame. 

Read the post of his just above my last post. He also asked about the installation of glass. I have given him advice on both the glass installation and the inner frame weather strip in this thread.

NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 2:38am
I found that a plastic putty knife was helpful. Like others said keep it wet and work in one edge, then I used the putty knife to carefully squish the other side into place. Be careful or it will pinch and cut the seal. I cut mine into 3 pieces with 45's in the corners. It is a pain to do, so be patient. 
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 10:16am
X2 on having a pro do the glass, and the seal as well.
Rick Estes
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 1:04pm
The reason I bring up the glass is that it has been mentioned in the past that the original glass was 3/16" thick while most replacement modern glass is 1/4" this makes installing the stock type rubber near impossible.

I personally have never even owned a 2A windshield my Willys has a 3A windshield which I am going to have a couple of Kids I have known since they were in high school that now have a mobile glass co install mine. They do all of our dump truck windshields at work and all sorts of other auto glass.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 5:22pm
Yes, check with a auto glass place. I was welding up the extra holes in my 3B windshield and broke the glass. On to the internet to find prices. OK, Went to a local auto glass place to get a price and it was the same as I would have paid to get the parts and they had the joy of installing it.
uncamonkey
rodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 2:09pm
Update to my question about installing the weather strip.  I took the advice to cut the one-piece strip into three segments, lubricated the slot with dish washing soap and slid the pieces into place.  Of course it wasn't quite that easy, especially for the long strip, but I did manage to get it installed.  Then I began tinkering with installing the glass.  With 1/4" glass the rubber U-shaped gasket material, purchased from a well-known Willys vendor, was too thick to work.  Again, taking your advice I began calling around to find a glass shop that would install the glass.  And, to my surprise, I found a shop in Wichita that knows the CJ2A inner windshield frame, and they have done this before, and they have gasket tape to mount the glass.  I'll deliver the frame and glass to the shop in the next few days.

Thank you to all who responded with good advice to my question.
Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 4:33am
I forgot to add my advice: if you have the glass out, don't place it on carpet and then accidentally hide it with a tarp and then kneel on it.  It will crack.  That's why mine now has a crack in the passenger side glass. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply