Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Engine Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intake/Exhaust Manifold Hardware

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intake/Exhaust Manifold Hardware
    Posted: 03 Jan. 2009 at 11:46pm
These are the original manifold 3/8" x 24 stud nuts. Group 10-19 part # 53287, 7 required, and special cone shaped washers #344732, 2 required, be sure to install cone shape against manifolds. The washers are used only at the two studs that are shared by both manifolds.
Interesting that the military application says the nuts are , semi finished 'SeezPruf' part # WO53288. I wonder what a Seez Pruf nut is. These nuts are tall nuts, 13/32" tall.
I am short two of these original style nuts. I will probably change to brass nuts with grade 8 split lock washers. Don't think torque to 35 pounds is a good idea with brass though. Never Sieze paste to be used as well.
Follow the parts list for stud lengths...especially for the two end studs @ 2 1/8". The front one needs to accomodate the Governor bracket mount. The two 1 3/4" are for the cone shaped washers as they are fairly thick.

Edited by Howard - 04 Jan. 2009 at 5:40pm
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2009 at 3:14pm
Just as an update from my one time  experience...I found the stud lengths listed in the parts list to fall a liitle short. I took off the originals on my CJ engine and their lengths were as the parts list calls. However three of them fell short of capturing the full depth of the tall nuts. Particularly the end manifold stud for the governor bracket and the two holding that special cone shaped washer. They have been that way for 65 years...so why change it? Your option... 
I bought all new studs from Beachwood Canvas...their set...and two 2" studs as an option, I thought they would be OK...to short...I called three other parts dealers and the longest 3/8" studs available from them was 2" also. So I bought a set of 2 3/8" studs from NAPA and custom cut each one to my liking. I left each stud with about two full threads sticking out past the nuts. Looks nice too! I think the 1 1/2" studs were OK.
A word of caution though, not only were these studs longer on the fine thread side but they were also longer on the coarse thread that goes into the block. These needed some alteration. A couple of them will hit the head studs if they are left to long. And, at least my thought, was to not have the others extend into the water jacket to far. Those should be easier to remove in the future without damage from corrosion. Of course...NEVER-SIEZE was applied.
Hope this helps...

Edited by Howard - 19 Jan. 2009 at 3:16pm
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
 Post Reply Post Reply