Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is a Jeep better than a tractor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is a Jeep better than a tractor?
    Posted: 23 June 2018 at 2:03pm
I have been thinking about show experiences and questions we (Evan, my son, and I) are asked when we display our Jeep.  So I posted this piece Show Time.Wink

I am also working on a list of questions we are asked at about every show.  While I have reasonable answers to many, for others I'm just stuck.  Here are a couple

How many Jeeps, equipped for farm use, were sold?

Our answer- We don't know.  Not very useful and I am hoping someone has some suggestions.  One measure might be the number of the various lifts sold.  But to the best of my knowledge, that data isn't available.  Based on ads, I believe Love produced his lift for at least 5 years.  But would also bet his production numbers were low.  Newgren lifts were only in production a couple of years.  The Monroe lift had a much longer run and could have produced thousands of units.  Would like to hear your thoughts.

What areas of the country saw the most Jeeps on the farm - East, Midwest, or West?

Our answer -  Not sure.  Only have anecdotal evidence, based on ads, films and stories.  Based on what we have read, heard, saw, there doesn't seem to be one area where the Jeep was in greater use.  I don't know if sales data for all models sold is available by region.  Not sure if that would correlate to farm use. 

One common question at tractor shows is about availabe paint color.  I suspect that is because paint color is a major identifier for tractors; IH red, Deere green and AC orange instantly identify a brand.  I can't think of another reason that question would arise.  Maybe we are breaking the rules with our version of a tractor.

Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 4:02pm
The Jeep was just to light for actual farm ground work.  Good utility vehicle with power take off but to small for pulling full gravity baskets (may be on flat paved roads could be OK), loads of lumber and so on.  Is probably still better than modern sides by sides but still way to light to preform ground work as farms grew larger.  Great for breaking the ground for a victory garden.

I have a 1949 frame that shows stretching at the draw bar connecting points from pulling a plow.  Also flat muddy ground with open different pulling a plow with a Jeep just does not work well vs a tractor.

Frames were to light.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 8:48pm
I am always careful when comparing the Jeep to a tractor to try and lower expectations.  I focus on the 9N/8N since it had similar numbers in the Nebraska test.  However, I've heard enough testimonials to believe that for some farmers, it worked great.  It is clear that tractors and farming changed drastically in the decade that followed the introduction of the Jeep.

My data has all been collected here in central Indiana, where there is still a significant amount of family farming.  But my sample size is small.  I am always looking for more stories.

I hope

Barry
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 12:54am
Jeeps were used in many jobs on the farms around here Willamette Valley Oregon. They pulled hay wagons they raked hay, they pulled disks, and plows on small farms, they sprayed crops, they hauled irrigation trailers powered seed cleaners. hauled Hop gantries We used one on a Christmas tree farm I worked on as a kid to haul out the trees from the steepest or softest parts of the fields. In short they did just about any job a tractor in the Ford 8N/9N Farmall 100/cub size range did and more. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 4:03am
Grew up in central California in the 50's and used my CJ2A to rake hay in the summer. They were used as sulfur dusters in vineyards (short life- rough fields beat them up and the sulfur ate them up) and pulling hay balers.
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Jeeps were used in many jobs on the farms around here Willamette Valley Oregon. They pulled hay wagons they raked hay, they pulled disks, and plows on small farms, they sprayed crops, they hauled irrigation trailers powered seed cleaners. hauled Hop gantries We used one on a Christmas tree farm I worked on as a kid to haul out the trees from the steepest or softest parts of the fields. In short they did just about any job a tractor in the Ford 8N/9N Farmall 100/cub size range did and more. 

I really like the Christmas tree story.  That would make a great children's book.  Most people forget that the first CJs were marketed to the farmer (and returning GI) with 40 acres and a couple of mules.  At least that is what I've seen in the earliest promotional films.  Early ads show the Jeep pulling implements that were easily switched from horses or mules.

Another reason I use the 9N/8N comparison is that I think that was the market Willys went after, with the introduction of the Love lift.  And there is almost always an 8N at the shows that I can use for comparison.

Really appreciate hearing from the Northwest and will add you note to my collection of stories.

Barry
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by outlw21 outlw21 wrote:

Grew up in central California in the 50's and used my CJ2A to rake hay in the summer. They were used as sulfur dusters in vineyards (short life- rough fields beat them up and the sulfur ate them up) and pulling hay balers.

A number of the promotional videos available on DVDs (sold on eBay) show Jeeps working in vineyards.  There is one scene were the Jeep is running through the vines blowing out something and I suspect, based on your comment, it was sulfur.

Have any idea of why the Jeep was a good match for vineyard work?  Size and speed? 

Barry 
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 10:22pm
It could go down the road between vineyards at road speeds, fit in between the rows and the bed was a good platform to mount the duster.
The sulfur was used for mildew control.
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 11:32pm
Thanks, just the kind of info I'm looking for.

I fear I should have used a different subject line.  Not sure my tongue-in-check comparison was the right format to ask about regional tractor use.

I had fun writing the article and I've heard more reports of Farm Jeep use.  I'll take that as a win.

Barry
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 12:18am
The story I was told the late 48 was purchased in early 1950 because a farmer had returned it after a years use for a ford tractor dissatisfied with the jeep performance as compared to a tractor especially plowing. My father used the jeep to get to work(GM plant 7mi.) and take care of the 10 acer hobbie farm with 300 apple trees to take care of, for this the jeep was ideal, it was used for spraying, pull disc,rake spring tooth drag, buz wood and any other contraption we could think to run off the PTO. The tractor you can drive on the road! Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 1:38am
Originally posted by lhfarmbt lhfarmbt wrote:

A number of the promotional videos available on DVDs (sold on eBay) show Jeeps working in vineyards.  There is one scene were the Jeep is running through the vines blowing out something and I suspect, based on your comment, it was sulfur.

Have any idea of why the Jeep was a good match for vineyard work?  Size and speed? 

Barry 

My 2A came from a vineyard in Northern California. It had SOMETHING mounted in the bed - had some significant holes cut in the back. No idea what... maybe a duster or sprayer?
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

The story I was told the late 48 was purchased in early 1950 because a farmer had returned it after a years use for a ford tractor dissatisfied with the jeep performance as compared to a tractor especially plowing. My father used the jeep to get to work(GM plant 7mi.) and take care of the 10 acer hobbie farm with 300 apple trees to take care of, for this the jeep was ideal, it was used for spraying, pull disc,rake spring tooth drag, buz wood and any other contraption we could think to run off the PTO. The tractor you can drive on the road! Joe W

Your story is a great example of both the successes and failures of the Farm Jeep.  It wasn't a good plow tractor, but it was very good at a whole bunch of other farm work.

Thanks for sharing.  
Barry
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

Barry 

My 2A came from a vineyard in Northern California. It had SOMETHING mounted in the bed - had some significant holes cut in the back. No idea what... maybe a duster or sprayer?
The same DVD mentioned above shows bed-mounted implement hitches too.  It would be great fun to research Farm Jeep use in vineyards.  It would be a great excuse to stop at very vineyard, do some sampling and my wife would love it too!.

Barry
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 2:17am
All right, the answer is, yes, a Jeep IS better than a tractor.  I've managed to go 65 years without ever needing a tractor, but I've always needed a Jeep!  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

All right, the answer is, yes, a Jeep IS better than a tractor.  I've managed to go 65 years without ever needing a tractor, but I've always needed a Jeep!  LOL
Of course the answer is yes.  That was really a silly question to ask.  I should have asked "why".  But still a fun discussion
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 12:33pm
My first date with my wife(1969) was in the 48 jeep.(Her mother loved the jeep, the glass door knobs on the shifters made her laugh, and she gave her approval). I don't think it would have turned out as well if I showed up on a tractor What was the cost comparison between a jeep and a ford tractor back in 1948? Thanks Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 3:18am

I should have asked "why".  But still a fun discussion

Had you just asked "why?", you might have elicited some fightin' words from someone (a tractor lover).  Good thing you didn't.  LOLLOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 3:31am
Hi guys, neat thread!
I grew up in a small town in NW Missouri. There were a pair of brothers that had an old Jeep they used a lot. They were farmers (on a small scale) and many is the time I remember them saying that it was two wet or rough for the tractor so they put out the crops with the old Jeep. I remember seeing the Jeep but I was too young to know much about them. It was in the early 60's. They had a full set of implements for it. I worked in my father's welding shop and repaired some of their stuff. 
There is a you tube channel called "Periscope films II" Film #34714 is all about farming Jeeps. It is quite good despite the aged footage. 
The Jeep and the Ford 9n and 8n series have many things in common. Basically they both revolutionized their given place in post war rural america. They are both to this day sought after and can be quite "pricey" in our neck of the woods. Our son (Bridog) has the best of both worlds. He has an 8n Ford with Jeep motor. You'll have to ask him for details. 
Thanks for your time and "we'll see you in the dirt" Fuzz
Fuzz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>