Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is a Jeep better than a tractor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 4:09am
Well can a tractor be used as an ambulance? as a firetruck? as a family car? as a search and rescue vehicle? as a tow truck? or any of the dozens of other things a Willys can be and has been?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 1:16pm
I think it fully depends on what you are doing. Can you plow with a jeep? Yes, but tractors do that better. Could you drive to town with your tractor? Yes, but the Jeep did that better. If you use the Jeep to augment what the tractor was doing I'd say that would be a good combo. Tractors have much better grip, way more weight, better gearing for low speed work, turning brakes, the ability to see the implement you are working, etc.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

My first date with my wife(1969) was in the 48 jeep.(Her mother loved the jeep, the glass door knobs on the shifters made her laugh, and she gave her approval). I don't think it would have turned out as well if I showed up on a tractor What was the cost comparison between a jeep and a ford tractor back in 1948? Thanks Joe W

My wife grew up with jeeps.  In fact it is highly probable that we were married because of her dad's love of jeeps.  I was dating my wife's best friend and we had gone on a double date for an afternoon at the farm.  As soon as I saw the 1946 2a, I asked my future father-in-law if we could go for a spin in the woods.  He said sure and it was love at first drive.  The current girlfriend became less interesting and as they say, the rest is history
The cost question is a good one and I will add it to the FAQs.  While I don't have prices, I believe the 8N was around $1200 and a fully equipped Farm Jeep about twice that.  But I need to verify. And Willys would tell you that you got a tractor AND a truck AND more.

Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

I think it fully depends on what you are doing. Can you plow with a jeep? Yes, but tractors do that better. Could you drive to town with your tractor? Yes, but the Jeep did that better. If you use the Jeep to augment what the tractor was doing I'd say that would be a good combo. Tractors have much better grip, way more weight, better gearing for low speed work, turning brakes, the ability to see the implement you are working, etc.

As stated above, it was the perfect vehicle for some folks, but not for everyone.   I wrote the blog post for fun and don't expect folks at farm shows to ever read it (although I hand out a lot cards with the Web site).  Whenever a guy (and it is always a guy) walks by and says "Those jeeps weren't worth s*!t as a tractor,", I say they worked for some folks.  If he stops and wants to know more, I'll tell him of success stories I've heard - along with what you said.  It wasn't the best or maybe even a good tractor.  If he already knows it all, I just let him walk on by.

90% of the people who stop by either as they have never seen a Farm Jeep or they have a story to tell.  That is the fun part.

Barry
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 11:12pm
This is a very interesting topic. No doubt the Willys was much more versatile that the old N series Ford tractors, but I don't believe there was ever any question that the Willys would replace the tractors on the farms. Growing up in Eastern New Mexico in the 1950's, I don't recall ever seeing a Jeep being used on the farm other than as an irrigation vehicle or pulling trailers. Back then nearly every farm had 8N or 9N Ford or something equivalent. I presently have a 47 2A and a 49 8N Ford tractor, they are both incredible little beasts in their own right, and each has it's place in history.
According to Wikipedia: The original 9N tractors sold for $585. Approximately 750,000 9Ns were built, and it was estimated in 2001 that nearly half of these were still in regular use. Not a bad record. Anywhere you travel in farm country you are liable to see an old Ford tractor behind the barn, out for sale, or working on a bushhog.     
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 12:34am
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

This is a very interesting topic. No doubt the Willys was much more versatile that the old N series Ford tractors, but I don't believe there was ever any question that the Willys would replace the tractors on the farms. Growing up in Eastern New Mexico in the 1950's, I don't recall ever seeing a Jeep being used on the farm other than as an irrigation vehicle or pulling trailers. Back then nearly every farm had 8N or 9N Ford or something equivalent. I presently have a 47 2A and a 49 8N Ford tractor, they are both incredible little beasts in their own right, and each has it's place in history.
According to Wikipedia: The original 9N tractors sold for $585. Approximately 750,000 9Ns were built, and it was estimated in 2001 that nearly half of these were still in regular use. Not a bad record. Anywhere you travel in farm country you are liable to see an old Ford tractor behind the barn, out for sale, or working on a bushhog.     

Well Said!
These two machines were great in their time and if needed they both performed well when used in the correct situation. I know in the North East the Connecticut Tobacco Farmers liked the CJs for their small farms and the WILLYS could be used to run into town for supplies and grub at a reasonable speed. Not so the case with the old 8Ns.
I have both and use them each for tasks when the application is suited to the machine.

My 8N w/manure bucket.

My 1948 CJ2A being used as a seat for my nephew to have a cold beverage after we returned from a beer run.
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 1:08am
Don't know about the Fords, I own a 1951 Farmall Cub that gets used around here.  

For just using around the farm here, I'd give the nod to the Farmall (usually).   I mainly just use it for pushing show off the driveway in the winter, pulling a utility trailer around the farm and with a carry platform on the back for hauling lighter loads when I don't want to mess with the trailer.  A mowing deck is in it's future.  

But, the old Farmall just doesn't do trips to town like the Jeep would.  

Both have their places.

Edited by Willy M - 29 June 2018 at 1:10am

lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 1:44am
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

A trip to an antique tractor show (which I highly recommend) is a great illustration of the how farming changed in the decade after the war.  The farms and the size of the equipment needed to work them increased dramatically.  The Jeep was never going to be more than a two bottom plow "tractor."  The Ford tractors that followed the 9N/2N/8N did morph into more powerful machines.  I once owned an 8N and even mounted a Wagner loader on it.  But I too moved to a larger tractor to meet my needs.

I'm pretty confident in saying that Willys intended for the Jeep to compete directly against the 9N and later the 8N  The Jeep Approved hitches all used Ferguson or Ford (Dearborn) implements and was the only other "tractor" that could use what would become the standard 3 point implements.

Still as others have said, the Jeep was never going to be a great tractor.  Which makes you wonder why they thought they could sell a Jeep Tractor
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Willy M Willy M wrote:

Don't know about the Fords, I own a 1951 Farmall Cub that gets used around here.  

For just using around the farm here, I'd give the nod to the Farmall (usually).   I mainly just use it for pushing show off the driveway in the winter, pulling a utility trailer around the farm and with a carry platform on the back for hauling lighter loads when I don't want to mess with the trailer.  A mowing deck is in it's future.  

But, the old Farmall just doesn't do trips to town like the Jeep would.  

Both have their places.
I own a '64 Cb Lo-Boy that I use for pushing less than 6" of snow and to mow walking trails (many of which serve as Jeep trails too.  Great tractors.

I am actually a lover of all types of tractors and wouldn't be without one (or two).  But it is great fun to tease the guy parked next to me at the shows about how I'm thinking about driving Jeep into town for a beer, while his big ole tractor just sits there.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 3:47am
Originally posted by lhfarmbt lhfarmbt wrote:

I own a '64 Cb Lo-Boy that I use for pushing less than 6" of snow and to mow walking trails (many of which serve as Jeep trails too.  Great tractors.

I am actually a lover of all types of tractors and wouldn't be without one (or two).  But it is great fun to tease the guy parked next to me at the shows about how I'm thinking about driving Jeep into town for a beer, while his big ole tractor just sits there.

My Cub was my wife's Grandaddy's that was partially restored some years ago and then left sitting in the farm shop until last winter, when I decided I needed a small tractor around and was told that if I got it running, it was mine.  All it had with it was a partial set of cultivators, so I've been making what implements I need as I go along.  It's kind of a "restomod" now as I've built a 3 point hitch for it, adapted an ATV blade for it and a 2" receiver hitch for the 3 point.   I working on some ideas for a mower deck for it now.   Also, now has a cup holder, cell phone holder, cell phone charging USB ports and a bullet lens LED tail light.  The 12 volt conversion on it was done during it's old restoration.  

Edited by Willy M - 29 June 2018 at 3:51am

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by outlw21 outlw21 wrote:

Grew up in central California in the 50's and used my CJ2A to rake hay in the summer. They were used as sulfur dusters in vineyards (short life- rough fields beat them up and the sulfur ate them up) and pulling hay balers.

I grew up in NorCal ranch country. Used to be a guy that was a fencing contractor, had a flat fender Jeep that was fitted with a post hole digger and carried wire, posts, and tools. I remember watching him work on the fence lines of adjoining ranches - kind of a modern day fence line rider.

Another that I recall was used by the greenskeeper on a nearby golf course. He would always run us off the course when anyone was using it.

Pal of mine has a flat fender and we used it for hunting and beer drinking expeditions (not both at the same time) and had a blast. Only rolled it once on a side hill.

Edited by Mike S - 29 June 2018 at 8:01pm
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 8:37pm

Could you drive to town with your tractor? Yes, but the Jeep did that better.

This reminds me of the time an old farmer near here many years ago had so many traffic violations that the judge took away his driver's license. He couldn't drive his old International pickup to town anymore, so the would take his International Harvester "M" to town when he needed something. If he was stopped by the cops, he had a mechanic buddy of his that would back up the claim that he was in town getting repair work on the "M" done. The tractor didn't need a license to drive on the highway and he only lived a couple of miles from town. It kind of looked funny to see his tractor parked in places like the grocery store or the bank.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Could you drive to town with your tractor? Yes, but the Jeep did that better.

This reminds me of the time an old farmer near here many years ago had so many traffic violations that the judge took away his driver's license. He couldn't drive his old International pickup to town anymore, so the would take his International Harvester "M" to town when he needed something. If he was stopped by the cops, he had a mechanic buddy of his that would back up the claim that he was in town getting repair work on the "M" done. The tractor didn't need a license to drive on the highway and he only lived a couple of miles from town. It kind of looked funny to see his tractor parked in places like the grocery store or the bank.

Same thing here, but the old boy drove a hand-start John Deere B. A crowd would form when he left the pool hall or barber shop, to watch him start it. LOL   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

Grew up in central California in the 50's and used my CJ2A to rake hay in the summer. They were used as sulfur dusters in vineyards (short life- rough fields beat them up and the sulfur ate them up) and pulling hay balers.

I grew up in NorCal ranch country. Used to be a guy that was a fencing contractor, had a flat fender Jeep that was fitted with a post hole digger and carried wire, posts, and tools. I remember watching him work on the fence lines of adjoining ranches - kind of a modern day fence line rider.

Another that I recall was used by the greenskeeper on a nearby golf course. He would always run us off the course when anyone was using it.

Pal of mine has a flat fender and we used it for hunting and beer drinking expeditions (not both at the same time) and had a blast. Only rolled it once on a side hill.
My favorite ad - The "Jeep" is a Working Girl - features a Golf Club block, showing the jeep pulling a gang mower.   Not sure an ad agency would use the same phrasing today. 

lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by lhfarmbt lhfarmbt wrote:

A number of the promotional videos available on DVDs (sold on eBay) show Jeeps working in vineyards.  There is one scene were the Jeep is running through the vines blowing out something and I suspect, based on your comment, it was sulfur.

Have any idea of why the Jeep was a good match for vineyard work?  Size and speed? 

Barry 

This is the video - Farm Jeep

I wasn't aware it was available online. Just yesterday, I received information on the lift shown in the film.  It was made by a company in Hollydale, California.    At about the 6 minute mark, you will see the sprayer in action. 
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 3:07am
Just saw this on the eWillys site. Thought it would be of interest to this thread
Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 5:00am

turning brakes,

That right there is what killed use of the 47 2A my father bought in 1950.  It just couldn't turn sharp enough to really be efficient at the only task it could reasonably do: rake hay.  It couldn't do any plowing or tillage on our steep ground-insufficient traction/weight.

But it was handy for a multitude of other tasks.  Just not as handy as the 57 FC 150 that replaced it.  The FC lasted 50 years.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

turning brakes,

That right there is what killed use of the 47 2A my father bought in 1950.  It just couldn't turn sharp enough to really be efficient at the only task it could reasonably do: rake hay.  It couldn't do any plowing or tillage on our steep ground-insufficient traction/weight.

But it was handy for a multitude of other tasks.  Just not as handy as the 57 FC 150 that replaced it.  The FC lasted 50 years.

Just curious - what tractor replaced the Jeep?  What part of the country was this?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>