Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is a Jeep better than a tractor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by lhfarmbt lhfarmbt wrote:

Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

turning brakes,

That right there is what killed use of the 47 2A my father bought in 1950.  It just couldn't turn sharp enough to really be efficient at the only task it could reasonably do: rake hay.  It couldn't do any plowing or tillage on our steep ground-insufficient traction/weight.

But it was handy for a multitude of other tasks.  Just not as handy as the 57 FC 150 that replaced it.  The FC lasted 50 years.

Just curious - what tractor replaced the Jeep?  What part of the country was this?

Thanks

And of course, that machine had a story of its own.  It was being used to skid logs south of Bozeman and got frozen down in ice.  The loggers tried to free it by just bumping it back and forth like a stuck car but succeeded in only taking out the ring and pinion.  My father bought it, not unlike a lot of Jeeps, as a truck load of parts.  The local Cat dealer at the time, Nash-Davis, let him use a corner of their shop and he spent the winter putting it all back together.  That was probably in 1951 or 52.  Stuff like that just doesn't happen anymore.

The 1937 Cat 22 is still here.  My father also had a 1937 McCormick Deering T20, their competing model.  Those two machines weren't really comparable.  The Cat was a couple decades worth better engineered in every way.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 3:47pm
Just curious - what tractor replaced the Jeep? What part of the country was this?

You can't really say the Jeep was "replaced" by any particular tractor. The series Ford tractors went into production in 1939 with the 9N. The Jeep was not adapted for farm work until 1945 after the war ended. Willys was pushing to find a farm /commercial application. The Ford N series was the major competitor for the small tractor market. The N series was made until 1952 when the Jubilee Ford came in. Willys used the 3 point hitch equipment that Ford developed.    
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

..... Willys used the 3 point hitch equipment that Ford developed.    

That Ferguson developed and Ford USED.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 1:29am
Very true, Ferguson did invent the 3 point hitch, then Ford actually built the early Ferguson tractors in the US.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:13am
Until Henry ll screwed him over.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

Just curious - what tractor replaced the Jeep? What part of the country was this?

You can't really say the Jeep was "replaced" by any particular tractor. The series Ford tractors went into production in 1939 with the 9N. The Jeep was not adapted for farm work until 1945 after the war ended. Willys was pushing to find a farm /commercial application. The Ford N series was the major competitor for the small tractor market. The N series was made until 1952 when the Jubilee Ford came in. Willys used the 3 point hitch equipment that Ford developed.    

I should have stated my question in a different fashion.  I an looking for information on where the Jeep was successful as a tractor and when it wasn't, what was the better solution.  I would agree that the Ford N series was the major competitor, and I am also looking at when the two went head-to-head.  I think the Jeep was a useful "tractor" in the right field and soil conditions.  I suspect the same could be said about every other tractor.

I've done a bit of research on the development of the Farm Jeep.  I can say with confidence that Willys did not use the Ferguson/Ford 3 point hitch, but relied on third party designers who were able to develop lifts that allowed them to use Ferguson/Ford style implements.  In my opinion, there was a huge Ford influence on the first Jeep Approved lift developed by J.B. Love. Charles Sorensen was directly involved in the development of the 9N when he was at Ford and much of the testing of the tractor was performed on his farms.  Sorensen would become the president of Willys in 1944.  Up to that point, it is my believe that Willy had not planned on offering a 3 point hitch for the Jeep.
https://www.farmjeep.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123