Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the Jeep Wrangler in the lineage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2015 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by 7slotguy 7slotguy wrote:

If you want to know what annoys me it’s the ignorance of Jeep history in these younger generations. I thought I made that clear. I’m sorry you have such thin skin. You might want to avoid any internet interaction. 

I'm 18 and I have a fantastic understanding of Jeep history. Actually, most younger people at off-road parks seem to know a great deal as well. Stating the "younger" generations don't know much is actually very off far. There's just as many "older" people who don't know much about Jeeps either. I had to explain to many adults over 30 that it was manufactured by Willys and not Jeep. Just about everyone in the Jeep community understands the correct history, and really that's how every hobby is. Should I criticize you because you don't know what the first ATV was? It was a Jiger 6x6 amphibious vehicle. You probably believed it was a Honda three wheeler. Again, it's all about the community involved in the hobby.

Originally posted by 7slotguy 7slotguy wrote:

I’m not the one who dug this thread up.

No, you're just the guy who created it.
Jared1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2015 at 7:49pm
This thread cracked me up.  Reminds me of a newly minted college kid arguing with his parents using $3 dollar words and citing all kinds of historic titles and authors to try and prove his point while belittling his parents. 

7slot:  You are getting lost in semantics and statistics.  The JK is a direct descendant of the original Bantam built by Karl Probst and others.  PERIOD.

Willys did not build the jeep, they did not invent the jeep, they were not the first to build the jeep.....so get that out of your head 1st.  The jeep, which wasn't even called a jeep at first, was designed by the US Army Quartermasters.  They gave the specs that they wanted to a bunch of MFG's that didn't respond.  Bantam did, and Karl Probst and the others at Bantam are the ones who came up with the 1st "jeep".

US GOV then bought the rights, gave them to Willys and Ford and asked them to build a version.  Both did.  Finally a standardized jeep was born in the form of the MB/GPW.  ALL THREE COMPANIES had input along with the US GOV in the design and creation of what you are shamelessly using to stir sh*t on the internet. 

So no one person or company can claim the parentage of the jeep or the Jeep....which you probably don't even know the difference of the two without looking it up.  Which I have no doubt you will do before you reply.

THE TRUTH is the Willys Overland corporation made the CJ2A out of a vehicle that two other manufacturers had significant input on and then sold it post war to the civilians as a civilian jeep. 

So the lineage dies in Butler PA with Bantam in your logic.  But you're 100% wrong so it goes on...

Willys/Ford
Kaiser
AMC
Chrylser
Fiat

have all built a vehicle based upon that original Bantam machine built in Pennsylvania.  They have all made changes to that original vehicle, but it still is at its core what that pilot vehicle was. 

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2015 at 9:22pm
I guess one of my points was that the 'early' authors parroted what they were fed by the interns in Jeep PR.

and there was, once upon a time, the thought of eliminating the CJ/Wrangler type vehicle completely and making something more along the lines of an Isuzu Trooper based on the XJ with the name Wrangler.

Hey2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2015 at 7:28pm
debate all you want about the lineage, company names, makes and models..the question is/was "is the Wrangler a descendant of the CJ-2A?"...
bottom line is..... yes it is a direct desecendant...by virtue of the one very simple fact...if the CJ2A was never produced, ever...if the line stopped at the MB in 45, would there be a Wrangler?

1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2015 at 12:33am
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 3:46pm

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 4:00pm
I saw one of those recently ^^

They are being built under contract for the Israeli Army.

They are also powered by a "for export only" diesel engine.......
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 4:30pm
Website showed it as "a concept vehicle"......guess money talks, huh? Wink
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Jeep1942 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep1942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2015 at 12:09am
Real Jeeps have flat fenders, no exceptions.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2015 at 1:09am
Those concept fenders look pretty flat. LOLWink
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2015 at 2:38am
I sure am glad the fenders on my 1964 CJ5 are flat on top.  They only get rounded towards the front.
I always thought the CJ5 was a real Jeep built by Kaiser Jeep Corp..   Emoticons
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2015 at 12:50pm
I've been thinking about this for a while "smoke is coming out of my ears" and I feel that you could open up another can of worms when it comes to "real jeeps".  There are a lot of nice flat fenders who's parts came from the philippines "bodies, fenders, windshield etc etc".  Does this mean they are not real jeeps because they don't have original parts?
Hey2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2015 at 1:17am
IMO...I'd rather a 2A with original tin, than a MB/GPW with a Philippine tub, frame, smalls etc....
1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
SKT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2016 at 3:03pm

Just read through this old thread - good times and it deserves to be brought to the top for more input.

Great pics BTW!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2016 at 4:13pm
Yeah, I was re-reading this a while ago and figured it would come up again before the 50th Easter Jeep Safari just for lively discussion.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2016 at 5:56pm
Put me down for "less filling", Chevrolet, and never if she's asleep...

I remember back in the day we wouldn't wave to YJ's and only tolerated AMC stock, now the wave is dead or dying there's just so many street queens and mall rides out there.  A bunch of us even had tee shirts that proclaimed "real jeeps have round headlights"...

Seems silly looking back with the filter of 30 years to look through.  Now I also own a JKU, and enjoy driving it every time she lets me Wink 
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Dirtmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2016 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Jared1956 Jared1956 wrote:

This thread cracked me up.  Reminds me of a newly minted college kid arguing with his parents using $3 dollar words and citing all kinds of historic titles and authors to try and prove his point while belittling his parents. 

7slot:  You are getting lost in semantics and statistics.  The JK is a direct descendant of the original Bantam built by Karl Probst and others.  PERIOD.

Willys did not build the jeep, they did not invent the jeep, they were not the first to build the jeep.....so get that out of your head 1st.  The jeep, which wasn't even called a jeep at first, was designed by the US Army Quartermasters.  They gave the specs that they wanted to a bunch of MFG's that didn't respond.  Bantam did, and Karl Probst and the others at Bantam are the ones who came up with the 1st "jeep".

US GOV then bought the rights, gave them to Willys and Ford and asked them to build a version.  Both did.  Finally a standardized jeep was born in the form of the MB/GPW.  ALL THREE COMPANIES had input along with the US GOV in the design and creation of what you are shamelessly using to stir sh*t on the internet. 

So no one person or company can claim the parentage of the jeep or the Jeep....which you probably don't even know the difference of the two without looking it up.  Which I have no doubt you will do before you reply.

THE TRUTH is the Willys Overland corporation made the CJ2A out of a vehicle that two other manufacturers had significant input on and then sold it post war to the civilians as a civilian jeep. 

So the lineage dies in Butler PA with Bantam in your logic.  But you're 100% wrong so it goes on...

Willys/Ford
Kaiser
AMC
Chrylser
Fiat

have all built a vehicle based upon that original Bantam machine built in Pennsylvania.  They have all made changes to that original vehicle, but it still is at its core what that pilot vehicle was. 

This was a fun read! LOL... But Jared nailed it in my opinion...
Current: '48 CJ2A #188461, '97 Jeep TJ, 2010 JK Unlimited (wife's), and a '97 Jeep Cherokee
Sold: '71 CJ5, '61 Willys Wagon
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2016 at 6:13pm
I recently confirmed firsthand that the CJ moniker was dropped due to the rollover litigation only, not because the Wrangler was so different.

I guess I do owe one of the Jeep Executives an apology though (Francois). I just learned before he did Wrangler and  Dodge Minivan he was the head of F1 Racing for Renault.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>