Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep abuse!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep abuse!
    Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 12:27am
I saw this little fellow imprisoned in our new “Duluth Trading Company” store. They never let him out and then I started hearing a Sarah McLaughlin song in my head and thought maybe we could get folks to pony up $19/mo to help rescue those abused and neglected orphans out there..... I dunno, maybe Joe DeYoung and I could come by late at night with some chain and a tow truck and rescue the little guy.

eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 12:31am
Dave,
I think you could put together an awesome public service video.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:08am
Why not other civic minded people liberate ATM machines the same way sneaking in in the middle of the night hooking a chain to it and tearing out of the place like it was on fire. DOn't see why it couldn't work on a Willys.

If your heart is in the right place of course.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 12:52pm
When you take them out of their element and put them on captive display like that, the "zoo" parallel is inescapable-
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:29pm
Here's a poster child for ya; All we have to do is figure out a way that only $.03 of every $1 would go to the rescue fund, and we can spend the rest on lavish lifestyles for the CJ2A page members! Thanks to Ohio Clock Photography for posting this pic on the entire net for me to use.

Edited by jeeper50 - 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:31pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:54pm
I've always loved that picture......one of my favorite Jeep pictures.

He looks like he wants to get out and play but cant...reminds me of the movie 'Tugger'.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:56pm
Awwww, poor thing looks lonely, cold and hungry Cry
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 4:30pm
Years ago, I rescued a flatfender jeep from a Banana Republic Store in a suburban Chicago mall. It was just the body on a rolling chassis, but it was fun pushing it thru the mall. I haven't thought about in years, Thanks for jogging my memory.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by 46Willard 46Willard wrote:

Years ago, I rescued a flatfender jeep from a Banana Republic Store in a suburban Chicago mall. It was just the body on a rolling chassis, but it was fun pushing it thru the mall. I haven't thought about in years, Thanks for jogging my memory.

WHAT??
You picked a flatfender in a mall!!!

How did that come about?
I need the full story please.
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 5:41pm
Been awhile ago, but the Banana Republic was either closing or remodeling. Someone who worked in the mall told me about. I had a reputation in my town for collecting old jeeps, so jeeps tend to find me without me looking for them. I had to go to the mall at closing to pick it up. I think I only paid a few hundred for it. They had it in the front of the store, in a jungle type setting. The jeep was pretty well stripped, but still looked good as a prop. They had put 110 volt headlamps in it. I was thinking of putting it on top of my garage, but that might not of worked out with the city. I sold it to a WWII reenactor, not sure what he did with it. I was told there was several other stores that had jeeps, but none were close and I did not follow up on it. I might have pictures, will try to find.
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 5:59pm
If you search on line for "Banana Republic jeep in store" you will find some images and articles. One article states in the 1990's there were 280 stores and they all had jeeps in them. I don't know if this is correct, but what happened to all of them is mind boggling. Sadly, Banana Republic stores were revamped to be more like "The Gap" stores, there parent company!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 6:01pm
That's cool....that's back before BR started catering to the yuppie crowd.....it was more of an outfitters store.

The display I always liked that they did in some mall stores was the 'cut' ones that looked like they actually came thru the glass window.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 6:06pm
Well the two banana republic stores in this area never had any jeeps nor much of anything else I wanted.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Here's a poster child for ya; All we have to do is figure out a way that only $.03 of every $1 would go to the rescue fund, and we can spend the rest on lavish lifestyles for the CJ2A page members! Thanks to Ohio Clock Photography for posting this pic on the entire net for me to use.

Damn...that grille looks better than the one I had to rework when I put a new tub on Ol' Red! I finally got the old grille straight, but it wasn't easy.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 7:35pm
I'll build and start up the kennel for all these wayward jeeps so they have a good place to stay until we can find homes for them all. 

This is funny because less than a week ago, my wife mentioned that old jeeps follow me home like lost puppies. Timing is everything.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 8:50pm
During the 'Jeep era' it was more safari-like....Africa and travel type decor.

When the Gap bought them out (early 80's) that was the death knell of the entertaining stores....it became just another Gap chain with a different name.

American Eagle stores used to be fun too...now, not so much.

Could just be they don't cater to 'ol pharts' .....maybe.

Edited by rocnroll - 06 Jan. 2018 at 8:54pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by 46Willard 46Willard wrote:

Been awhile ago, but the Banana Republic was either closing or remodeling. Someone who worked in the mall told me about. I had a reputation in my town for collecting old jeeps, so jeeps tend to find me without me looking for them. I had to go to the mall at closing to pick it up. I think I only paid a few hundred for it. They had it in the front of the store, in a jungle type setting. The jeep was pretty well stripped, but still looked good as a prop. They had put 110 volt headlamps in it. I was thinking of putting it on top of my garage, but that might not of worked out with the city. I sold it to a WWII reenactor, not sure what he did with it. I was told there was several other stores that had jeeps, but none were close and I did not follow up on it. I might have pictures, will try to find.

Awesome story 
Thanks 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer