Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep ownership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 4:37am
I have owned my GPW since I was 16 yrs old. It was my first car and I always kept it and drove it all through high school . I always wanted to completely frame off restore it to its original glory. finally after many years of neglect and small amounts of abuse I did get going on it and finished it all up several years ago. I baby it now and use it in parades and go to shoots with it. I am now 66 years old so I have owned it for 50 years this past June. I have owned many jeeps since then and own a 45, a48,a49 all cj2a's and several parts jeeps. I am restoring my 48 and getting close also working on my 45 but so many distractions make it slow going. My wife had a 50 cj3a when I met her in collage but she had to sell it so 
that one got away, sure would like to find it.
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
Jerseyhawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 5:07am
A great story and a nice jeep. We are the same age. I just got my first flat fender last week. I have had a few other jeeps over the years, but never one like this. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me. 

Glenn
He who toils here, hath made his mark.
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 5:58am
I purchased my first '47 2A in 1978 and it took 2 trucks to carry all the pieces back home. I was 19 years old at the time and naive. I only knew that I loved old jeeps and had always wanted one. My parents said I used to draw them as a young kid.

My dad was an electrician in the U.S. Navy and taught me everything I know about automobiles. It had a 2000cc Pinto motor, Novak adaptor, Saginaw steering conversion, Ford 11" brake conversion, Dualmatic hubs, Warn Overdrive, Bestop cover, Marchal lights, Armstrong Norseman tires on white spoke steel wheels, a 12 volt system, and a hybrid harness put together by pops. The only thing I didn't rebuild personally were the front and rear differentials, I had Border Parts service those for me. It took 7 months of wrenching around school and a part time job to get it roadworthy.

My wife and I met and went on dates in it, married, and had our oldest son (nicknamed Willy) before we realized it wasn't conducive to family life and sold it in '84. She was really sad to see it go and promised me that I could get another jeep when the boys were grown. She lived up to her promise and in 2004 I purchased my current '46, which I hope to pass on to my 5 year old grandson (nicknamed Baby Willy).

Here is a collage of early photos of the first one. That's my '65 Impala in the garage.

1979- Closing in on finishing the jeep
1980- Running in the mud out at Senator's Wash out near Yuma, AZ.
1981- Running the beach down near Rosarito, MX at a place called Cantamar.
1982- My lovely, and very pregnant wife standing in front of our condo's driveway and jeep.
1983- Me and my 1 year old son Willy.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

JDJeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDJeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 12:47pm
Bought my first one yesterday. Not my fist jeep, my first flat fender.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 12:55pm
Nice looking Jeep Alex,welcome aboard.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Jerseyhawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 3:57pm
Alex, what a beauty. Best of luck. I see your in NJ to. 

Glenn 
He who toils here, hath made his mark.
combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 1:34am
Nice looking little Jeep
Enjoy
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 3:00am
Welcome to the page, JDJeeper!  Is the 2A as nice as it looks?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
HenryJBills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryJBills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2018 at 4:29pm
I inherited my CJ from my Grandfather about three years ago. However its been in my family since it was made, She doesn't get driven as much as she should and her brake master cylinder is in need of replacing. She has her original factory red paint as well as its original wheels. I do keep it rather babied and it is always in the shed under a cover.  
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2018 at 4:47pm
[

[/QUOTE]

That’s a great jeep and a great big buck!!!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2018 at 5:08pm
SO Dad bought CHUG some time in Early 1962 I was 5 its been mine since 2002 when he sold it to me for $2.00 to avoid any risk of someone else getting it when he passed (he knew he was dying) Prior to Dad it was owned by a Local farmer since new. Thats 56 years in this family.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 1:36am
Welcome to the page, HenryJBills!
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2018 at 2:27am
I was almost 4 when Dad bought the '46.
It went deer hunting a few times, hauled firewood, took us on some fishing trips.
I drove it through high school.
After I grew up and moved it sat around most of the time.
As Dad realized he wouldn't be around much longer, he gave it to me.
Now that he's gone, I need to find time to get it running again.
It's been a part of my life for 63 years.
1946 CJ2A 14098
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2018 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

I was almost 4 when Dad bought the '46.
It went deer hunting a few times, hauled firewood, took us on some fishing trips.
I drove it through high school.
After I grew up and moved it sat around most of the time.
As Dad realized he wouldn't be around much longer, he gave it to me.
Now that he's gone, I need to find time to get it running again.
It's been a part of my life for 63 years.

Now that is what I call a family heirloom for sure...yes I agree you gotta get it running...dad would be happy to see you guys out doing Jeep stuff with it again...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
EMJK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2018 at 12:15am
I bought my first flat fender in 1976, I believe, a ‘48, still have it.  I don’t remember when I bought the ‘46, and not sure when I bought the ‘47, slips my mind when I acquired the ‘ 48 “ lefty”, purchased the ‘48 parts jeep a few years ago and found the last ‘48 about a year ago.  Still have each one....don’t tell the wife.  Oh, I still have the ‘60 farm jeep also.....
greenlakesgary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlakesgary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2018 at 2:25am
I've owned my Jeep for 38 years now. It came in boxes and every single part that came apart was apart! It took me the first winter to figure out what each part was, catalog it, box it and shelve it. It was one big jigsaw puzzle for a 24 year old with very little wrenching experience. This is what it looks like today and I did ALL the work myself...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNBhf12jGJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN-h22jCvQ8&t=2

This forum has been a huge help to me - wish I had found it sooner!!!
JDJeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDJeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2018 at 11:01am
It’s needs a little attention. Runs and drives and the pto works. Wirering needs work and there is some rust issues in the floor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2018 at 2:29am
Originally posted by JDJeeper JDJeeper wrote:

It’s needs a little attention. Runs and drives and the pto works. Wirering needs work and there is some rust issues in the floor.

It's better than many of the same age, then.  Nice one!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12