Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keep or turn lose

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keep or turn lose
    Posted: 10 July 2017 at 5:37pm
ok here is my question. I am new to the jeep thing. I went out and bought 2 one is a 1947 and a 48. They had trees growing up in them and in a briar thicket. When I got them home all the floor boards are gone, all the sides are rusted out. Hoods windshieldsand tailgates are real bad. Both engines are locked up.  I could buy new tubs and have the engines rebuilt.
Or would it be better to get rid of these and find something in better shape to start with
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 5:46pm
Pictures would help.  They sound rough.  Are you looking for a driver, project, or investment?  If your looking for and investment sell them and don't get a CJ2A.  Welcome aboard!
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 6:19pm
Find a good investment to fund your 2a habit LOL

Only question I have... Is there a title in the two you have?

ETA: Some folks build them and sell them, some build and drive, some buy and drive... variations up and down.  What you do depends on whether you are in it for the journey, or the destination (or both)

Edited by mbullism - 10 July 2017 at 6:34pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
WVDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 6:28pm
no there is no titles
WVDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 6:30pm
How do you post pics 
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 6:53pm
Click on Control Panel at the top of this screen on the left.
Then go to File Manager and up load the photos to your profile.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
WVDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 9:36pm
I plan on building and driving.  
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 9:43pm
My take on this is that you will pay one way or another.  You can buy a jeep in any condition from mint to wreck.  The closer to mint you get the higher the price etc.  Unless you have a TON of tools, experience and a fully loaded workshop at your disposal, buying a wreck isn't worth your time.  As I have learned (the hard way) even buying a jeep that "is perfect and nothing needs to be done with it", Doesn't save you from being busy for months getting it right.  Unless you can fabricate most if not all of the tub, you're going to be buying one ( about $5K).  Then if the bloody thing actually had a tree growing through it, it means that virtually EVERY part on it will have to be removed, cleaned and quite likely, replaced.

Save yourself the hassle and buy one in reasonably good shape.  You'll be spending enough "quality time" with it.  I assure you.
bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 10:40pm
Sell and move on. Those'll take you years and many thousands of $$$ to get running.

Save up some $$$, buy something that has at least a sound body/drivetrain or maybe solid looks/running gear but needs a motor rebuild. You know - at least give yourself a leg-up on some of the required Jeep "revival" tasks.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 11:26pm
Dave - Welcome to The CJ2A Page!  The nice thing about these old Jeep is that they were designed to be worked on and you can find every part for them on the Web.  

A CJ2A is wonderful place to learn about basic automotive  technology.   It is a very capable machine off road and all in, it is not that expensive of a vehicle to repair and maintain.

Post some photos.

You noted that you don't have the titles.  You might contact whomever you bought them from and at least get a separate bill of sale on each of them.  In Ohio, two bills of sales on one vehicle is enough to get a title issued - so if you sell them or have the seller sell these to someone you know... you might be able to get  the state to issue a title.  This is a  topic that gets discussed from time to time here.  Differs by state but it can be straightened out.

Again welcome.

Stev  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 11:30pm
WVDAVE - you are going to be MILES ahead to buy a friveable, running CJ2A. It is easy to start  project with enthusiasm, but after a year or two of work and no running Jeep to drive, you will probably end up selling your project to someone else to finish.

Get one that runs, at least and drive while you 'improve' it.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 11:35pm
Welcome, no title would be a deal breaker here in Massachusetts.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

Welcome, no title would be a deal breaker here in Massachusetts.

It certainly changes the discussion, lol...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 12:44am
salvage what parts you can. Those will be your parts donors. Find a better candidate. Don't let your 2 poor selections dampen your enthusiasm. You must realize what you have not what you want it to be and keep moving forward.
My take: You just bought a bunch of parts.....cheap.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
WVDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 12:50am
well I think you very well might be right. But here in WV its not that big of a deal to get a title for something like these jeeps, more of a hassle than anything.
WVDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 12:52am
Agreed!!!
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 1:23am
Pictures do help but as others have said, find a better one to start with. Consider these 2 practice in taking them apart. Extra parts to keep or sell.

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 4:22am
Dave,
Where are you in WV?  I am just over the state line in PA.  I would be more than happy to show you my 2A and some of the work/parts that I put into my basketcase.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>