Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kill switch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kill switch?
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 3:23am
Have any of you installed kill switches in your Willys? I grew up in a crappy neighborhood and am semi-paranoid about my stuff getting ripped off. When it comes time to wire this thing I want a good hidden kill switch. Am I alone in this or has anyone else installed one?
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 3:50am
2t2-crash

Lots of people install kill switches.  Some people do it to isolate the battery so any problem they might have in the wiring will not kill the battery.  Some do it for the reason you are describing.  

You might do an advanced search on it.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 4:03am
Remove the rotor like they did in the old days. Unless your walking around with one in your
pocket it isn't going any where.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:41am
I'll have a battery disconnect, electric fuel pump kill switch, a way to lock the transmission into reverse  and a collar that goes around the E Brake Cane that will not allow it to be released until unlocked.  OH and a locking hood. And Hard Top.

My younger brother used to carry a heavy chain on his front bumper that was shackled to the frame with a welded shackle. He would chain his 73 to parking meters and Telephone poles when out and about (he lived in LA for a while) LOL

Edited by Mark W. - 10 May 2017 at 7:43am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:23am
a little trick some hot Rodders use to do is use a dimmer switch on the floor and instead of flipping your headlights from hi and lo it would disconnect your ignition power supply or reconnect it with a simple stab of the switch, and if you had carpet they would hide the switch under the carpet.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:47am
There is no real way to keep somebody from stealing anything. The simplest thing is a toggle switch hidden under the dash to interrupt the current to the coil. A keyed battery disconnect on the - cable. Chains have been mentioned. If they have the right tow truck, they can get it unless it is encased in a big block of concrete and they could still get it...
uncamonkey
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 7:56am
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

a little trick some hot Rodders use to do is use a dimmer switch on the floor and instead of flipping your headlights from hi and lo it would disconnect your ignition power supply or reconnect it with a simple stab of the switch, and if you had carpet they would hide the switch under the carpet.

That's a hell of an idea!
LUIS MORALES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUIS MORALES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 6:55pm
Hi,  you can put one wire to the negative  terminal to your coil. then put a switch and connect to ground, use a 3 steps switch and connect to the horn relay  these way you can hear when somebody try to startup the jeep. even you can change the starter solenoid for a ungrounded solenoid and connect the neg  terminal to the same  hidden switch,
I do these because i have a keyless switch
good look.  
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:35am
I have a battery disconnect for multiple purposes.  It prevents the voltage leak through the starter switch if it needs a cleaning.  It prevents fires if something shorts out somewhere while it is sitting in the barn and finally it prevents someone from taking it as mine is military and just has a switch.  I think it would be hard to do much with a Willys up my way if you did steal it.  Not only is it slow, but it is really uncommon it would not take long for someone to determine that it was stolen.  I think you would be hard pressed to find too many folks who would even guess that the jeep has a starter pedal. 
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 12:25pm
I agree with 52 M38, I have the battery disconnect for the same reasons plus a kill switch inside my Locked metal center console. Kills the coil. I think battery disconnects are a smart option regardless of theft. My 2 pennies.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 4:17pm
A bit late to the game on this thread.

I have not tried this personally but looks like an interesting way to confuse any potential thief. I just have a spare set of fuses if you are forgetful:

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 6:00pm
As I said above I am planning a number of things to drastically slow down a thief. I want plenty of time to pull my pants on should I need to go out to the garage and scare the hell out of someone. That way when I am talking to the police I don't look like one of them morons on that TV show COPS that never seam to have a shirt on.

Our Bedroom is directly above the Shop and the Garage/Carport is connected to the front of the shop and has a metal roof nothing happens in the shop or garage/carport you don't hear upstairs. And someone trashing around trying to figure out the 4-5 things preventing them from starting the engine or being able to push it out of the garage/carport will make plenty of noise. As to the Idea of not being home well that is a possibility but very slim for that to happen not during day light hours and we are extremely good friends with all 4 of our neighbors that can see the front of the Garage/Carport so I doubt a strange tow truck backed up to the garage while dingles and chester try to figure out how to move CHUG would go unnoticed.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
delducra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delducra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2018 at 1:02am
I use a heavy chain (intended as an inter-city bicycle lock) and wrap it around the steering wheel and roll bar to make it unsteerable.. And I have a hidden kill switch too. I actually intend to do away with the key entirely so they'll have to figure out which of the rocker switches actually powers the ignition even if they do find the kill switch solenoid.

Post Reply Post Reply