Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Koenig winch question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koenig winch question
    Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 3:53am
I have a question for the Koenig pto winch owners out there. I am reassembling a Koenig winch and have a question about the brake/clutch mechanism. The handle locks in place when the brake is on  (see first picture) but the handle does not lock in place when the drum is engaged (see second picture). It hits a tall bolt head which I am not sure is original. Without locking in place when the drum is engaged, it looks like it could slip out during operation which would be bad. 

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 4:16am
Replace that bolt with a button head and see if it works.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 4:31am
I guess I forgot to ask the question. Is it supposed to lock in the engaged position? I'm sure that replacing the bolt would do it but not sure if it is supposed to lock in place. Thanks 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 3:25pm
Yes the engage handle must lock into place when it is engaged (downward ) .
You obviously used the correct special bolt to attach the lever bracket to the winch block.
But it looks like you may have added a lock washer underneath the original bolt head ?

Edited by oldtime - 09 Aug. 2017 at 3:28pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 4:27pm
Oldtime, thanks for confirming that it needs to lock in place when engaged, and also that the special bolt shown is correct. I can remove the lock washer and that will probably get it to fit. The lock washer was on there when I got it, so I assumed it was original. 

I'll ask another question while I have your attention. The worm shaft is a little grooved/pitted at the seal. I replaced the seal, filled with 140w lube and it leaks. I could have screwed up the seal during assembly, but it could also be the sealing surface. Any experience with a leaking seal? Should I try a new seal or look into a speedi sleeve? Thanks
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2017 at 12:29am
Right on . remove that lock washer...

As you noticed the 1-1/4" drum shaft is not sealed.
The worm gear shaft is another story and possibly two .   Ha Ha Ha !

I'm going to guess this winch  to be a PTO driven Koenig 100 as opposed to the rare electric Koenig 100.
I say this  because the PTO drive and the electric versions use notably different input shaft designs.

Yes it is certainly possible that you damaged the worm shaft when installing albeit unlikely.
In other words it is most likely that the pitted worm shaft is leaking at the area of damage.

Easiest potential remedy is to move seal further inward  or outward hopefully making contact with an undamaged area of worm shaft.

Edited by oldtime - 10 Aug. 2017 at 12:32am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply