Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaf Spring mount skid plates/ sliders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaf Spring mount skid plates/ sliders
    Posted: 13 Oct. 2017 at 5:47pm
A few years ago I made this leaf spring mount skid plates/sliders up after not seeing anything I liked that were commercially available.  I made these out a a section of 1/4" wall 4' tubing.  They mount over the stock spring mounts and are secured front to back by the bottom of the bolts that go over the axle tube so the dont move front to back and are held in place by bolts that between the U bolts and above the bottom spring mount plate.  Here are a few photos to give an idea of what they look like.  You loose about 1/4" of ground clearance but you gain the sliders which keep things from getting bent or the CJ2A from getting hung up on rocks.spring slider 1spring slider 2
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep, 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2017 at 7:14pm
I’m confused about how those are secured. I see the two long bolts that go over the spring mound, but what else holds them? Do those holes just fit over the ends of the ubolts, or is the some other mechanism that keeps them from sliding around? Do the rattle?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Stev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2017 at 8:37pm
Stan,

The U bolts locate off of the four holes in the bottom. The four side bolts clamp the skid plate the top of the spring mounting plate (two on each side).  The picture only show the side bolts on one side there is another set of two bolts on the other side.   The skid plate is tapped for the side bolts and the bolts get turned in tight against the side of the leaf spring (no rattling).  The side bolts ride on the top of the spring mounting plate and inside of the U bolts.

Sounds confusing - Here is a second attempt at explaining them:

The U bolts are cut off so that there is 1/4 inch sticking out below the nuts of the spring mounting plates.  The skid plate has 4 hole that the ends of the U bolts fit into - those bolts keep the plate from shifting forward or backward once installed.  The skid plate has two bolts on each side that are tapped into the 1/4" steel.  The holes are place so the bolts fit just above the top of the spring mounting plate and positioned just inside of the U bolts.  When the bolts are tightened they hold the plate up so that the 1/4" of the u bolt is captured by the skid plate.The four side bolts are tightened up against the side of the bottom two or 3 leaf springs.

I can pull one of the plates and take a few pictures.  Tomorrow I will be wheeling so it might be a day or two be for I get it posted. 

When I do these on my next trail jeep I will mount them and then cut the U bolts off flush.

Edited by Stev - 13 Oct. 2017 at 8:39pm
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 9:38pm
Here is a photo looking down from the top. 
Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic