Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaf Spring mount skid plates/ sliders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

Thanks. My 3A is sitting in a frozen lot next to 4 or 5 911 Porches  (my mechanic only works on my Willys out of interest in the odd ride) waiting to have some trans work done. Can't wait to get it back (and in my warm garage)  to look at things. Your pic looks clear. Next question is, I bought an e-brake shield. Also can't wait to get my 3A back to try to figure out how it connects to anything. Figure at $14 I can afford to throw it away if I can't figure out how to attach it.

Post a pic of that ebrake shield for us would ya!

Edited by jeeper50 - 08 Jan. 2018 at 12:43pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 2:03pm
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 2:04pm
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 2:33pm

Looks more like a homemade hose guard above the front axle knuckles, brakeline hole and kingpin bearing bolt layout.

yep that's what it is;

Edited by jeeper50 - 08 Jan. 2018 at 2:40pm

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 2:40pm
Waiting to get my Willys back so I can look for any frame mounting site. What I was  (am?) looking for is something to protect a hit on my e-brake. Always seemed odd to have a skid plate that stopped just short of protecting the brake.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 3:19pm
yeah I'm in the same boat, gonna measure how much more plate I need to cover it up and remove the orig and get another cut out of 1/4" plate to the larger dimension. Maybe just weld more steel on it.

Edited by jeeper50 - 08 Jan. 2018 at 3:23pm

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 3:25pm
I don't have to worry about my e-brake getting "rocked"any more. I took the whole assembly off after I broke it. I just use the engine for my park brake now. Still have the park brake handle for decorative purposes only. 
 If you are on a steep slope and need to start the engine, just stay off the clutch and start it in low 1st. The starter will turn the engine over enough to start and get you rolling up the hill at the same time.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 7:12pm
Stan,

With your double thick skid plate you can bolt a plate on the bottom that will clear the parking brake drum.  There are 4 holes in the skid plate just forward of the parking brake where a brush guard mounts that can be used to secure a section for 1/4 plate to protect the bottom of the parking brake drum.  Assuming you are just going to use it  as a skid plate to protect the parking brake not a strike surface for obstetrical jumping.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 9:07pm
Here's the way I have been making mine since the 1980's.
It does not collect mud like the confer design. 
It does not effect position of lower shock mount.

Side rails are 3/16" thickness x 1" high.
Fully welded yet skipping the area next to bolt holes.
A normal or deep well socket is used to access the spring clip nuts.
Excess spring clip treads are ground off and flush to bottom of nuts.

Edited by oldtime - 17 Mar. 2018 at 9:20pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 3:09pm
I made these with the original u-bolt plates for my dad's 3A. Has a shock guard too. Horrible pics I know.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123