Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Longest trip to-date

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longest trip to-date
    Posted: 10 July 2017 at 12:30am
After last winter's transmission rebuild I have been wanting to make a longer trip than the ~10 miles to farmers' market and ~5 miles to the drive-in.

This morning I thought it would be a good day to go visit the volunteer's on the trail-crew maintaining the Appalachian Trail in Maine's 100 mile wilderness. Since noone was expecting us, it would be ok if we didn't make it and it should be possible to get to that part of the state on mostly back roads.

After a quick check of the map I went to work attaching the spare tire that I have never bothered with and filling the toolbox with more tools, fluids, and spare parts than I normally carry.

I also brought my tow-bar and some magnetic lights in case something happened that wasn't field repairable.

A few minutes with the Maine Atlas and Gazetteer helped me refine the route.

Each flag is a turn. We spent very little time on numbered routes and quite a bit of time off pavement.

This was our stop to get treats for the volunteers

Shortly after this, we were done with pavement.

In one tight spot, we passed a full-sized pickup coming the other way. The driver was thankful that it was a Jeep since two trucks could not have fit through that spot.

Next it was time to walk. The crew was working about 1.5 miles from where the road ends.

We reached them in time for their afternoon break and brought pie and ice-cream.

After a few minutes rest at the nearby waterfall, it was time to begin the second half of our drive.

We hit a few showers, but never got soaked.

Before returning to the garage, I removed all the extra parts, tools, and spare tire.

This was a great trip. There were only a few spots where I was wishing for an overdrive. Maybe this winter it will finally happen.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 12:43am
Nice trip report. Thanks for sharing.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 1:12am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Nice trip report. Thanks for sharing.

X2!Clap    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 1:18am
looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 2:46am
Thumbs Up
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 3:47am
Looks like some beautiful country, were I closer I would join you!.... Also a great confidence builder for the next longer trip

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 6:17am
Awesome!  Clap
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 12:01pm
Sounds like a great ride!

My 2a is in the garage recovering from a trans/tc rebuild and an engine swap, lol... my first trek of that distance is going to include a jku chase car. (Bravo LOL)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 3:06pm
How many miles was the round trip? Sounds like a great ride.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 3:12pm
Looked like a great ride, good trial long run and that smile shows everything!!!!!
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
jeepingben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 5:19pm
I didn't check the odometer or track it with the GPS, but I think the round trip was something like 140 miles.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 3:28am
Awesome trip and picturesClap
That's more miles then some jeeps get driven in a year!
An overdrive is a great addition to a willys jeep, I have one on my 2a and really enjoy it. 

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 9:06pm
Ben,
Thanks for sharing pics and details of your trip.
Sounds like your ole Jeep didn't let you down.
I love to see the Jeeps being driven.
Gives me motivation to get back and working on mine.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
 Post Reply Post Reply