Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking at this 46 CJ2A. Any advice would be appr!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at this 46 CJ2A. Any advice would be appr!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanwalker1531 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at this 46 CJ2A. Any advice would be appr!
    Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 11:57pm
Willys https://imgur.com/gallery/huDzxdu

Edited by Jordanwalker1531 - 22 Apr. 2018 at 11:59pm
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 12:44am
Welcome to the page, Jordanwalker1531!  Bubba has done a fair amount of frame work on this one; I wonder if the work is any good.  Body work, too.  Electrical work too, now that I look for it.  Plowing is tough on a little CJ; personally, I wouldn't pay much for it.  It's been modified too much for my taste.  Not much of a restoration candidate, would need much work for even just enjoyable trail riding.  For the right price, it might be a good project, depending on what you want to do.  What's the asking price?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 12:45am
The first two thoughts that came in my head looking at those photos were 1. that makes me feel really tired and 2. That could make me really broke.

What are you looking at this HIGHLY modified HIGHLY beat to crap Jeep for?

Is it to restore (your looking at $10,000.00+ on top of the cost) can you weld? do you have all the tools required to completely strip this down and spend maybe 4-5 years rebuilding it?

Is the idea to buy it drive it around your property and fix the big problems as you can? I do not see this as safe for even a gravel road with that destroyed frame and spring hanger. So you would have a bunch of work to just take it to Dairy Queen.

Do you have a bunch of automotive wrenching experiance? Cause this would take a bunch.

I know I sound like Debby Downer but you asked.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:03am
Wow, I didn't even see the punched-in spring hanger before.  Knock another grand off the price!  There's gonna be a lot of work done before this Jeep is safely drivable.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:31am
That spring hanger would give me second thoughts.
If the price is reasonable, you have another frame and at least most of the parts are good,
then maybe it's not too bad.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Jordanwalker1531 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanwalker1531 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:11am
thanks everyone for their responses. The owner was asking 3500 and we've discussed trading some of my military surplus firearms. What would you value it at? Anyone here a firearms enthusiast looking to make a trade? 
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:11am
Looks familiar, maybe someone on this page owned it before?

Being a plow truck it probably led a very hard life. Frame is shot. Unless it runs, drives, stops and has a valid title I personally wouldn't pay more then a few hundred dollars.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 5:56am
In the best of markets I would not see this as more then a $1200.00- $1500.00 jeep depending on if the engine is a low mile rebuild. And the condition of the rest of the drive train. Half the body is bubba junk. The frame is junk. You could maybe get a decent price for the plow and pump if they are in good shape.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 7:16am
Mark W. Said: " I do not see this as safe for even a gravel road with that destroyed frame and spring hanger."

Me neither. And it passed a NY State safety inspection like that? Shocked   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:43pm
Johnathan,

Welcome to the 2A Page. The Jeep is pretty modified in lots of areas. But you can get a good used frame for Less than $400 in most states.  I picked one up last year for less than $300 (sand blasted and painted) and all the rest of the stuff is available new or used.  It all depends on what you want to  do with the Jeep.  If you are going to do a frame off restoration you might look for more correct Jeep.  If you want to work with a teenager and teach them how things work this could be a great project to learn on.  Just depends.  

It does look like someone did a fair amount of work to it.  You might ask them if the engine, trans mission, and so on have been rebuilt or what condition they are in.  The homemade hard top probably is great for plowing a driveway.  Not all plow jeeps are destroyed.  I have a 1946 that pushes snow occasionally on my driveway not on the street.  It never sees salt and does not get crashed into things.  It all depends on the Jeep and how it is used.  

All the best to you in you Jeep Quest.

Stev

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 4:47am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Not all plow jeeps are destroyed.

Not all are destroyed, but that spring hanger...Ouch
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 1:27pm
Get a good used frame - If it were me I would get a good used late CJ2A or early CJ3A frame.  But a good used mid production CJ2A frame would be great also.  Craigslist in a great place to look for them.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 11:43pm
Welcome to the madness! I have no new comments on this Jeep. That frame says it all.

Where the heck is NNYS? Northern New York State? Maybe one of the page members has a good frame that you could use. It is the kind of thing that does not ship well, so if we knew your locality, it might help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 2:14am
If you're going to buy a "new" frame, then you might as well get a "new" body too.  That makes this Jeep nothing but a parts Jeep, and not worth much money.  This frame could be repaired, but it's still just a parts Jeep.
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 2:03am
That jeep is well set up to spend the next generation as a plow jeep.
There are others out there for less than $3500 that are far better restoration candidates.

Post Reply Post Reply