Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38 floor and Highlift jack box ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M38 floor and Highlift jack box ideas
    Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 8:25pm
This project is probably a winter 2019 project but I wanted to see what ideas people might have on this.

I have a late 1946 trail Jeep that is not a historical restoration - it is my go to vehicle for off-roading and snow plowing. It sits on a early 3A frame, has powerloc's front and back, Ramsey PTO winch, Roll bar - the usual stuff.   It is a capable little machine but needs a new floor, hat channels, transmission hump and sheet metal work on the drivers side and rear lite panels.

I am thinking of putting a M38 front floor into it.  I would also like to design in a box that is accessible from the out side to store the Highlift jack (similar concept to  the M715 jack box).

The M38 front floor looks like it will fit and I have some of the parts already on hand.  I like the idea of access to the transmission/ bell housing the M38 floor gives.  

The jack box would be located behind the seats under the floor and would include part of the tool box.  There would be a door on the outside that would be flush with the tubs lower side panel just in front of the passenger's rear tire at the existing front corner of the wheel house.  The step in the existing tub floor would be boxed on the bottom of the tub, all the way across to make the compartment for the jack.  There is room between the frame and the floor for the"boxing" to accommodate the handle and walking rail of the jack (it will be a tight fit). The lifting mechanism of the jack and bottom plate would end up in the tool box area.  The back of the tool box would be walled off to make an inner compartment.  The door still needs to be figured out.

I do realize that the jack would not be accessible at all if the CJ2A is up against something on the passenger side.  I have weighed this and am Okay with it.

Has anyone done the M38 floor in Cj2A tub?
Has anyone done the Highlift Jack box?

Constructive thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Stev 

Edited by Stev - 17 Oct. 2017 at 8:27pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 1:52am
You could use a locking fuel fill door Theres a zillion different ones to chose from. Look on Amazon or eBay

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 4:08am
I have a T-98 I want to put behind my Go-Devil and I was wondering if an M-38 floor would help me, too.  My transmission hump area is still in good shape, though and I kinda don't want to cut it.  Maybe I should just find an M-38 tub.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 12:09am
I'm going to use the big removable transmission tunnel from an m38 in my 2a, I'm also going to put in the front of the rear wheel wells to gain a little seat room for all my fatness.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 2:26am
Leecarr,

If I am reading your post correctly you are going to cut away the 2A floor enough to use the two piece transmission cover from a M38.  You are not going to install a M38 floor.  Interesting.   The M38 floor has captured nuts welded to the bottom.  Pretty easy to do if the tub is off of the frame.
Stev
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 11:50pm
The rest of the m38 floor is junk, not enough to save. I'll cut the hole rough then bolt the tunnel on and weld new nuts on then clean up the hole and try and figure out how to bend a small lip around the hole to stiffen it. I like the idea of having more access from the top because it's getting harder to get underneath all the time. That's the plan anyway.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2017 at 12:37am
F.Y.I. The CJ-5 uses virtually the very same (2 piece) floor cover as the M38.
The CJ-5 floor pan is easily adaptable into any and all 1945-1975 CJ's.
It was used with special 2 piece transmission cover and plate for CJ-5 having T98-A.

As you know Willys first  installed the Borg Warner T98-A into the 1956 CJ-5. 
The 1956 T98-A was the original rock crawler transmission and it still remains today as one of the very best for true rock crawlers.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 12:16am
I'm using this because I already have it.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 4:36am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

It was used with special 2 piece transmission cover and plate for CJ-5 having T98-A.

I didn't know this.  I need to find a photo of the setup...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 4:35pm
Back to your original question...

You could probably graft in an M38/MB Glove Box for access yet look like it looks correct.

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2017 at 12:20am
Like this? I don't mean to hijack your thread but check out mine "Glove compartment in a 2a" in this section. Different location same idea.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2017 at 12:48am
that's what gave me the idea...I like it!

I was always wanting to try and graft a tool box lid in the rear floor under the back seat for storage too.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2017 at 3:01am
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

that's what gave me the idea...I like it!

I was always wanting to try and graft a tool box lid in the rear floor under the back seat for storage too.

I've thought about one in the front part of the rear floor for storage of whatever.  Also MB toolboxes in the rear wheelhouses.  

I've never had a Jeep with enough storage spaces.  

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2017 at 9:56pm
A highlift jack is a big chunk of iron to try and hide, you could mount it on the cowl but you wouldn't be able to put down the windshield. If you build a box under the floor you could always put a door on both sides so it would come out either side. If it was short enough you could box in the top of one of the wheel wells and put a door in the back.

Edited by leecarr - 22 Oct. 2017 at 10:05pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2017 at 10:57pm
Truth be told, I don't really think you will find a spot in a flat fender Jeep that is big enough when enclosed to fit a full length hi-lift jack......plus seems to me you might just be inducing another rattle.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Does10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Does10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2017 at 7:29pm
Also keep in mind that if the Hi-Lift jack is under the seats in a cool "box", getting it back out would effectively require enough space to have 2 CJ-2As parked next to each other!
Every time I've needed to use my Hi-lift jack, I've been on a very narrow, rutted trail or in some rock garden where there wouldn't have been enough room to remove a jack from that location.

Later,
Will
'48 Willy's CJ-2A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2017 at 8:55pm
All good in put.

First, I have to admit that this project just got bumped back at least a year.  We have a 1949 CJ3A that we did the sheet metal on last year that needed a replacement Frame and the frame followed us home yesterday - so pulling the sheet metal off of the trail Jeep has been bumped from this winters project list.  Build priorities change again.    

Currently, I a 48" Hi-Lift mounted to the floor in the bed.  It basically runs down the transmission hump back to the tail gate -  passes under the rear seat -  keeps it out of the weather and is bolted to the floor so it will stay put during a roll or bounce (Jpet's tire in the air kind of an event).   The roll bar has down riggers that pickup a floor plate that mounts through the floor to the frame cross member.  The Jack mounts to the floor plate with a big hasp looking thing with a wing nut.  So it stores well, but is hard to remove when you need it.  Most of the gents I have wheeled with over the years have a Hi-Lift Jack so there is usually one handy.  

The Hi-lift jack box idea - I think can be solved - out of the weather, secure in a accident, clean, and not rattling.  I don't want to change the look of the Jeep but I want a place to stash the Jack.

I am pretty well sold on the M38 floor modification.

Edited by Stev - 23 Oct. 2017 at 9:36pm
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 2:34am
Picked up the NOS M38 floor panel this morning!  The pan has hat channel and the dash panel.

Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>