Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38 under hood battery box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M38 under hood battery box
    Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 6:24pm

Has anyone tried to put an M38 under hood battery box in a 2A?? I live on an airport and there are a bunch of WWII aircraft here that several times a year use our airfield to practice their airshow routines and that means a free show for us. Grunt gets to spend the day on the flight line and his on board aircraft base station lets everyone listen to the ATC tower but at the end of the day the battery is gone. An enclosed battery box, like the one being sold now by one of our suppliers would let me put in a big deep cycle battery without it looking stupid in a 70 year old Willys. So I have two questions: 1. Has anyone modified the passenger side fender to accept the box? 2. Will a new M38 fender bolt up ok on a 2A? I mean, how hard can it be ??
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 6:35pm
The M38 box is not really that large-not sure a big batt would fit inside. I'll get pics and dimensions this PM if interested. Muley
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 7:59pm
That would be a big help. The original battery tray is a mess but you normally can't see it. This would give me a chance to clean the whole thing up and maybe a modern battery to boot. Thanks
T. Nick

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 11:38pm
12-5/8 X 7, 12" deep measured w/o bottom tray. There's  +- 1" radius on the 4 corners so you lose a little in W + L.  Muley..
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 1:44am
COOL BEANS (as they say on that other forum ) That info will help a bunch. I'm off to measure new batteries. Thanks
T. Nick

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 1:47am
Originally posted by oldracer oldracer wrote:

COOL BEANS (as they say on that other forum ) That info will help a bunch. I'm off to measure new batteries. Thanks
Yup! see ya for coffee in the AM..Wink
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2018 at 12:02am
Well it is possible to install an M38 under hood battery box in a 2A, if you REALLY REALLY want to

There will be a bunch of things that need to be fitted to the new install, like the battery hold down with its J hooks will have to be changed for whatever battery you decide to use; and there are only a couple that will fit. A model 25 Redtop or an equivalent Interstate will work. And modifying the fender to accept the box get easier after you make the first cut

T. Nick

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2018 at 12:13am
HOLD ON, I forgot an important detail - the Red Top battery won't work because the positive and negative posts are on the wrong sides so if you want to use your stock battery cables they won't reach. The Interstate battery had a model R that reversed the posts and it works fine.
T. Nick

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2018 at 12:48am
Correct sir. I use (2) 51R batts on my 24V M38 and they're "clocked" correctly. John @ MWM builds a perfect repop box don't you agree?
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2018 at 2:13am
Roger that, when I ordered it I just crossed my fingers and hoped and when I saw it I knew I was going to have to get it installed. Still don't know if an M38 fender will bolt up to a 2A but a piece of metal from Lowes and a little welding on the 2A fender was a lot cheaper anyway. Thanks for the help.
T. Nick

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2018 at 9:46am
I modified my 2A fender to accept a HUGE series 31 battery. I cut the fender and extended the battery "notch" a full 2.5" longer. So I am sure you can do it.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply