Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MB adventure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2017 at 9:52pm
This looks like a lot of fun...I like the idea of NOT waiting until 2019 to do it.  If you tag this adventure along with the Rubicon or even FCT the hard part will be condensing a round trip to Moab and back with multiple route options down to just a few days. 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2017 at 10:00pm
From what I read, Pearl Pass needs to be done in August so That would leave the FCT out.  Someone in the area might comment.

It would be best for me to do it on the way home from Rubicon as I would already be in the area..... The trailers is the thing.  I guess finishing the map is first though.

... I suppose if everyone's flatty is up to the task, We could meet at Mike's after Rubicon, run the trail to Moab, then drive the hi-way back with the flattys.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2017 at 10:30pm
Jeff,  I like your idea and hope to be a part of it. We are not planning on making the Rubicon next year, but I would like to go to Ouray. I could trailer to Ouray, spend a day or two driving Blueberry from Ouray to Mike's via Engineer Pass and other Jeep roads. Jeep with you all to Moab and then Jeep back to Ouray. Getting rid of the tow rigs and trailers opens up all kinds of options. 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2017 at 11:00pm
.... We’ll figure it out. How many jeeps are you taking to Ouray?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2017 at 12:58am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

.... We’ll figure it out. How many jeeps are you taking to Ouray?

I do not know. It has been a few years since we have spent more than 1 day in the San Juans and for the last couple months I have been itching to go back and spend more time there. When I saw this thread going it sounded like fun and a good tie in to something I was already dreaming about for next year. 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2017 at 1:10am
Yup.  This is the place where jeep dreams come true. .... I’m sure glad winter is just around the corner. Gives us a chance to sit back, relax, and ..... start planning out next summers jeep schedule Wacko
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 7:11am
you guys are killing me....Confused

sighhhhhhhhhhhhh...
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 12:58pm
I am working on this.  Cj3bmutt has helped me quite a bit.  Here is a road map that would get us from St Elmo to Grand Junction:

.... This path connect Pearl Pass and Grand Mesa and may have been the intended path of the 43 MB.  I really like this path because it not only covers Pearl Pass but it also covers Schofield Pass which I badly want to do.

Since Brian wants to spend some time in Ouray and we have to figure out what to do with our trucks and trailers, another option would be to do a loop that starts at Nathrop, and instead of going to Moab it drops down to Ouray from Marble and returns home via Engineer Pass to Lake City to ....

This one gets us as far as Lake City.   I'm still working on it and open to suggestions.

I can't find much off-road between Marble and Ouray.  I need to get a better map.

Thoughts? 
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 2:27pm
Jeff,

You just need a few guys to convoy the trucks and trailers around, supply gas and a good steak once in a while at some rendezvous (that's French!) point. This would really be an awesome adventure. I'll be watching. I will be retired next May - I like the idea of the plan you are developing.

Tumbleweed 
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 4:00pm
This would be to rest of the route from Grand Mesa coming into Moab using the Porcupine Rim Trail and ending up at Hell's Revenge:

The Bing map would not let me get to Porcupine Rim from Sand Flats Road, so I just stayed on Sand Flats into Moab.  Thanks Cj3bmutt!

..... more
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 4:04pm
.... so that gives us two options to get to Moab.  Once we get to Grand Mesa, we can either go this route or the Kokopelli Trail route.

.... or loop down to Ouray and back to Mike's ....... or ..... do a loop, Mike's to Moab and back to Mike's through Ouray! Wacko

... still gotta get from Lake City to Nathrop.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 9:10pm
Just posting this for future reference.  This is a loop trail

St Elmo > Tincup (via Hancock Pass/Cumberland Pass) >
Crested Butte (via Taylor Pass/Pearl Pass) >
Marble (via Schofield Pass) >
Paonia Reservior (via hi-way 133 [22 miles] >
Back to Crested Butte (via Ragged Rd/West Elk Loop)
Back to Tincup Following Taylor River (CR-742) and jump across on various FS roads.

.... then from Tincup, we could take Tincup Pass back to St Elmo.

Sorry for all the extra coordinates on this map.  I've found it very hard to control without spiking down the trail as you go.

Edited by jpet - 18 Oct. 2017 at 9:13pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 9:35pm
JPet,

How many days would you expect a trip like this to take?  Looking at the map I wonder if the you took along a few Jeep trailers if you could just do a compete loop.  Trailers are a hassle but they can add to the challenge of a trip. 

Stev  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 9:47pm
I'd guess the trip to Moab or the loop through Ouray would take 5 days.  The last loop I posted, I'd guesstimate 4 days.  Depends on how many go and breakage.  I wouldn't want to be in a hurry so it's hard to say.  

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't take a trailer because it would likely increase the need for gas stops which are not so convenient, and I can pack everything I need in the jeep.  I don't think a trailer would add to the challenge as much as it would add to the annoyance.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 10:16pm
Always a fine line between a challenge and an annoyance.  When pulling a trailer off road the challenge was never to need to back up.  The annoyance is of course is backing up. Being able to carry 5 days of gas, water and supplies/spares in a small jeep must look like the SAS Long Range Patrol - But perhaps you are not planning on taking everything with you for the five days. Hotels, diners and gas station are like living off of the land in modern times.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 10:40pm
Yes, the routes pass through towns with gas, chow, and the occasional hotel
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Cj3bmutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj3bmutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 11:36pm
Looks like your route from Crested Butte back to tin cup takes you up Lottus creek and slaughter house gulch.  There is a memorial on taylor river canyon road for a b-24 that crashed during ww2 not far from there. <span style="font-family: '.HelveticaNeueUI'; font-size: 15px; line-height: 19px; white-space: nowrap; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba26, 26, 26, 0.296875; -webkit-com-fill-color: rgba175, 192, 227, 0.230469; -webkit-com--color: rgba77, 128, 180, 0.230469; ">http://coloradowreckchasing.com/taylorb24/tayb24.html</span>

Edited by jpet - 01 June 2018 at 3:32pm
Cj3bmutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj3bmutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 12:46pm
Crestted Butte not create butte. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>