Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MB Jeep Chevy V6 Engine swap.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MB Jeep Chevy V6 Engine swap.
    Posted: 23 Nov. 2018 at 12:20pm
Hello,
I am new to the forum and to the flat fender Willys Jeep World!
Need help on my project;
Just bought a 1945 MB Jeep. This MB already came without the original drivetrain, in place of it, a poor Chevy 151 conversion has been performed. Luckly frame and other important parts were preserved.
I want to restore it back to original condition, but with a Chevy V6 4.3L engine with a TH350/Dana18 transmission in place of the original motor/trans combo.
Other than the engine and transmission, I want to keep everything else original, including the Ross steering box/linkage and brake system.
I have been trying to find pictures and information on a similar engine swap without success.
I don't want to have substantial modifications on the frame and sheet metal for future return of the original engine/trans combo if I decide to sell the Jeep in the future.
Any information or pictures will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!
Alan 

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 1:24am
Welcome to the page, Alan76!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 2:16am
Welcome to the forum.
I think you will find the TH350 much too long for an MB.
The T90 is only 9 inches.
Look at JPET's build for ideas on using a 4.3 in an MB.
I would think the 151 could work well.
How bad is it?
1946 CJ2A 14098
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 4:35am
That conversion has been done hundreds of times...maybe a lot more.
Measure twice, cut once.
It's easy to install the drive train.
The steering, exhaust, cooling, clutch, brakes, drive shafts, etc take a little longer to figure out.
But all must be taken into consideration during the conversion.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 2:21pm
   The 4.3L V-6 engine is a great powerplant, and I drove an '86 Chevy Astro van of my sister-in-law's when it was new, and I was impressed.

Just yesterday I was reading where 2019 will be the last year of the 4.3 as a base in the 1500 Silverado.
It is being replaced by a Turbo-boosted 2.7L I-4 gas engine with variable speed electric water pump among a list of other gadgets like a diverter valve to direct water through the head-only to speed-up warming of the block.
It does have the cylinder drop-out feature which concerns me with service issues. The 2.7L Turbo will be the base engine for the 1500 Silverado. :)

I have not measured the length, but I have been curious of the little diesel 4-cyl which was made by Matori and used in the 2004-2005 Jeep Liberty, engine and the auto-trans and t-case set-up that goes with it. Again, like the turbo 350, it is probably too long for the 2A / MB chassis, unless axle locations are spread apart.

Hmm, why is it that I measure 6-times and cut 3-times, and then go get a new piece of material to make the Final-cut.   _ _ never fails.

Enjoy your new puzzle !   _ _ _ ( I have a current '46 2A puzzle ) hahaha

Len

Edited by Greaser007 - 24 Nov. 2018 at 2:28pm
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 5:43pm
Do you have any photos of the 151 engine? That sounds interesting.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Alan76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 12:10am
Thank you all for your inputs! Big smile
Alan76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 12:15am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Do you have any photos of the 151 engine? That sounds interesting.

Very common swap here in Brazil. I will try to find some photos and will post later.
Rods55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rods55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 4:07am
You might want to update the brakes to the 11" drum conversion 
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 5:13pm
Echoing others a v6-350 swap is perfectly doable with some planning. I would definitely ditch the Ross and upgrade the brakes. You'll be glad in the end.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 5:21pm
I say you should either modify it or put it back original.
Just don't plan on doing both.
If it has value then keep it original and modify something else.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply