Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MB spotted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 11:52pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 5:21am
Thanks guys.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 11:56am
Buy a can of paint stipper. You spray it on and then remove it . Don't let it sit too long. Practice in a area that won't have numbers first. It works better for me than sanding. The reason: different paints come off with stripper in layers because of their composition. Rubbing with rags and brushes to remove the paint works best. I would not use a scraper. I've done this on 4 Army Jeeps. I also tried sanding on the first. I could not control what it removed worth a darn. Hope you find it. WW2 Jeeps have a hood estimater using your serial number. Works pretty good. M38's from the Korean war era were mixed.  Those numbers don't have a estimater that's accurate. Digging into history is cool. Stan knows this. The holy grail is if the unit numbers are still on the front bumper and rear bumperettes. Then you know for fact what unit it was in. The sad part is if the hood was changed out. You get fooled. So, pay attention to matching paints all the way down to metal. Wink Oilly

The coolest Jeep I have,that is original, is my '52 M38A1. I found ALL OF THE NUMBERS! All I needed was green scotch bright. They quickly sprayed one coat of cheap OD over them. Even the numbers are original. Clap
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Hmmm... the wiring for the blackout drive light doesn't look right...

The condition looks fantastic. The wiring for the blackout should go through the hat support. Hood looks GPW and the engine head looks ribbed.  Can't see the rest. Stan will have to shoot us a portfolio-----LOL. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12