Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MB T90 Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46MB2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MB T90 Transmission
    Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 4:03am
I am thinking of changing my T84 transmission with a T90.  I have a question about fit.  Will I need to make any body modifications?  I know the T90 sits a little higher but dont know if it sits further back as well.  Can I just make the modifications to the transmission cover that bolts to the body? 

Thanks for any help,

Kyle

Edited by 46MB2A - 21 Sep. 2018 at 3:42am
Kyle Thomas
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 1:19pm
Kyle,

The MB and CJ2A have different transmission cross members.  You might just be able to change to a Cj2A transmission cross member and not have to modify the body.  

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 4:10pm
This is quite the involved swap to do. It could involve trimming the floor and or changing cross members. I'm curious to hear you reasoning for changing from the T84 to the T90. I will say that I have a T90 in my MB and have no plans to remove it and change to a T84. Even thought G503 isn't my favorite, there are many threads about this and that could help you. Good Luck and keep us posted.  
Edit: Where are you in the Great State of Utah?

Edited by TateC - 20 Sep. 2018 at 4:12pm
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
46MB2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46MB2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 3:39am
TateC,

I [f you have a T90 in your MB what did you do to make it fit?  I already have a T90 crossmember.  WIll I need to do anything else to the MB body to make it work?  The T90 is a more robust transmission and have always heard it is much stronger. 

Thanks for the info so far.  I am north of Ogden in Farr West.

Kyle
Kyle Thomas
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 5:16am
I did not do the swap in my MB but I have spent a lot of time under that Jeep. Whoever did the swap used a MB crossmember and just drilled a new hole for the transfer case mount, they also lengthened the clutch rod. As for the body they hastily cut it so the transmission would fit. Overall I'd say my MB isn't exactly a poster boy for a swap done well but hey it works and I drive that Jeep everyday. 
Also I really like the Farr West area. 

Edited by TateC - 21 Sep. 2018 at 5:18am
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 5:19am
Originally posted by 46MB2A 46MB2A wrote:

Kyle

Hey Kyle,
Can’t help you with your t90 swap question, but I live about 100yards from Farr West in Plain City. Depending on when you go by you can see my rig, Grampa’s Jeep, parked in the Wahlquist Jr. High parking lot on good weather days during school. Get that thing rolling and we could hit some trails together.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 5:50am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by 46MB2A 46MB2A wrote:

Kyle

Hey Kyle,
Can’t help you with your t90 swap question, but I live about 100yards from Farr West in Plain City. Depending on when you go by you can see my rig, Grampa’s Jeep, parked in the Wahlquist Jr. High parking lot on good weather days during school. Get that thing rolling and we could hit some trails together.

You are a teacher? A few of my friends taught. She did several languages and he did the special needs kids. He would deal with any of them even if they were not in his program. He got a lot of kids through school.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 7:27am
The T-90 is longer and lower than the T-84.  The floor needs to be cut.  It's your jeep, only you can decide if it's worth it.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
46MB2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46MB2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2018 at 3:35am
THanks Ol' Unreliable! THat is what I was looking for.  I appreciate your comments.
Kyle Thomas
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2018 at 3:17am
The T90 is stronger and in the case of the T90C it even has a lower 1st gear.
Still, if you have to spend money, re design it and do surgery to make it fit, perhaps there is a better choice for all the effort.
For instance, a T98 would require some of the same type of cutting and reworking.
Much depends on what you hope to end up with and how much your a willing to do to get there.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2018 at 2:35pm
Included in with the other mods listed above, you will have to relocate the transmission cross member mounting bracket that is on the frame rails back towards the rear of the jeep 1". This is assuming you have an MB/GPW frame.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Reply Post Reply