Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motor locked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavyp36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor locked
    Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 1:23pm
Well I got a new to me I believe a 46 jeep got it home started tinkering with it to find out the motor is lock up. The thing has been sitting out for many of years . So with the help of some marvel mystery and some pb blaster I got the plugs out to see what was going on. I then put a tiny hose on a bottle to direct the oil in to the cylinder from the spark plug hole let sit for two days still no budge. I seeking ideas I dont really feel like pulling the head this soon . Could the starter be jammed ? Could I be over looking something else ? And yes it is in neutral

I would also post pictures but have not figured that out yet give me some time lol
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 1:45pm
Even if it is in Neutral, if it has been sitting long mice may have built a nice condo around the clutch. A pleasant surprise I found one time in one of mine.

The trans gears may also be rusted together. Water loves to get in there.

You could remove the starter to see if that is the culprit.  

The motor in my Willys, which died last year, was also frozen stuck when I got it in 2012ish. I tried the ATF/ Acetone and it would not budge.  Someone recommended to me I use something called Biox corrosion block. Boat and marine stores carry it.  I did have the head and oil pan off and just sprayed everything. A day later I had it rotating.

That is what worked for me.
Heavyp36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavyp36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 1:57pm
The clutch and trans are free I am sure there is a ton of rust in there but i know that works cause of the hitch on front and a tow around the yard  I'm going to let it sit another day and see what this weekend brings 
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 2:39pm
Just keep soaking and waiting..... I used a socket on the crankshaft pulley nut and breaker bar to get more leverage.... I didn't go mid-evil, but it was better than using the starter..Looking back on it, It may have been wiser to pull the head?? Although, everything seems ok now.
Heavyp36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavyp36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 2:45pm
Yup that's what I'm going to do not to much room for a breaker bar and socket how did you manage? Pulled starter and every thing looks good pretty clean to be honest even fly wheel had minimal rust  I guess another dose of some concoction is in my future 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Heavyp36 Heavyp36 wrote:

The clutch and trans are free I am sure there is a ton of rust in there but i know that works cause of the hitch on front and a tow around the yard  I'm going to let it sit another day and see what this weekend brings 

I towed my rig home just fine with the engine and transmission locked up tight. Transfer case was in neutral. Here's what the transmission looked like when i opened it up.
I'm not saying that your transmission is locked up, just that it could be towed with a locked transmission.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 2:50pm

Yup that's what I'm going to do not to much room for a breaker bar and socket how did you manage? Pulled starter and every thing looks good pretty clean to be honest even fly wheel had minimal rust  I guess another dose of some concoction is in my future 

I use a large extension such that the socket wrench was outside of the front bumper and no longer under the vehicle... You might have to get creative and rig something up Wink You can use the access hole designed for the hand crank.
Heavyp36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavyp36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 2:52pm
DeadDeadmine will shift into all gears also I'm not sure if yours did but that thing is gross 
Heavyp36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavyp36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 2:54pm
 I used that hole but I just felt like i lost a ton of leverage being that far out ......... i will figure something out 
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 3:00pm

I used that hole but I just felt like i lost a ton of leverage being that far out ......... i will figure something out 

my brother helped me keep things tight..
Terry Fairchild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Fairchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 12:05pm
My brother broke the front off the crankshaft trying to free up an F134 using a socket and a big cheater.
As a result I was able to sell him a motor!
From my experiences with these old Jeeps, I've found most have been locked up due to the rings being rusted to the cylinder wall. When not running, an engine  will always have at least one cylinder that has open valves, consequently moisture and water will get in there,eventually rusting and siezing things.
My method to free up a locked up motor:
1) Remove cylinder head
2) Clean up rusted cylinder(s)using a hone, blow all the crap out after honing.
3) Using an oxy/acetylene torch heat the frozen piston(s)to 8 or 900 degrees.(aluminum melts at 1240 so don't melt the piston top!)
4) Let the piston(s) cool
5) Lubicate all the cylinders with oil, WD 40, atf or whatever you've got.
6) Hit the starter and see if it rolls.
This has worked for me on 5 or 6 engines . Of course there's no guarantee but if you can get it to roll you can get it to run!
Aluminum will expand a lot faster than cast iron so the piston expands, breaking the rings free from the cylinder walls, and when cool goes back to size again.
A fair amount of work but often times beats the alternative!

Terry Fairchild
48 CJ 2 W/ 2300 Ranger engine
53 CJ3B
55 Pickup
62 Wagon W/258 AMC engine
67 CJ5 V-6
51 Ford F1 w/ 3.0 Ford V6
69 Jeepster Commando
72 MGB
65 Cobra replica
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 3:08am
Your problem is a very common one. I gave up, pulled the motor and swapped in a rebuild. On to tje next problem.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Heavyp36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavyp36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 3:15am
 Well today was an exciting day pulled the head off to find that the pistons were filled with rust and gunk of some kind after I got that all cleaned up I found that the number 3 piston was cracked in two spots and pretty pitted so i figured as i was this far into it i might as well pull the motor so a few hours a few curse words and some help from the local old timers we got it out to discover that there was a mouse house in the bell housing and some other weird finds.......... so before I go any further I am going to inspect the trans and transfer case and see what I have there ......this jeep is not any jeep .... it was my great grand father's that was wounded in ww2 and the converted it so he could still go out hunting being he was paralyzed from the waist down ....... so some sentimental stuff I hope I can get it going at some point in my day 
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 3:57am
Oh yeah, you gotta and try and keep that as original as you can.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 6:36am
The good news is that they can come back from the dead.
I bet a large percintage of those around now were once in that shape.
Take it a step at a time and just keep going.
1946 CJ2A 14098
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 3:22pm

.....this jeep is not any jeep .... it was my great grand father's that was wounded in ww2 and the converted it so he could still go out hunting being he was paralyzed from the waist down ....... so some sentimental stuff I hope I can get it going at some point in my day 

You have found the best place for help in your endeavor to restore your family's heirloom.  Take lots of pictures to help your reassembly, we like pitcures too! 
 Lots of knowledge here and we're all willing to help you any way we can.  Where are you located maybe several of us live close enough provide more than typed words in your effort.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 8:57pm

......this jeep is not any jeep .... it was my great grand father's that was wounded in ww2 and the converted it so he could still go out hunting being he was paralyzed from the waist down ....... so some sentimental stuff I hope I can get it going at some point in my day 

I love hearing these stories...I am an upstate NY guy here...welcome to the craziness and good luck saving your great-grandfathers Willys...when you get it running he will be riding along with you for sure.

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 1:16pm
Several of us have Jeeps with a family history.
It's not just a bond with a machine any longer.
I can look at the dented rear floor and remember helping Dad cut wood and throw it in the back.
1946 CJ2A 14098
 Post Reply Post Reply