Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 1947 Willys Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2009 at 3:53pm
the head and engine casting numbers indicate the motor is of M38 vintage, or later 3A...
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2009 at 4:54pm

Here are some additional pictures..

Thanks for all the replies!

I ran out to the garage just now and looked at the tailgate… geez I know I looked there before and I didn’t notice anything…  but after looking  at the other pictures you guys referenced,  I can definitely make out some numbers on mine!  I’ll let you know what I find.

Yes, the body is in good shape, bottom looks just as good.  I’ll get some pics and post them when I can.

Here’s what I know about this 2A. Again my buddy found it in southern new jersey, (where  we live)  7-8 years ago. Guy he bought it from said he thought it was a 47. It was outside in the weeds on the guys farm. The engine was removed and in pieces in a box.  My friend completely rebuilt the engine so I think it was cooked, rebuilt and repainted. I’ll ask him what the original color was. The head has 800376 cast on it while the block has 804380 W – 11 cast on it (which I think reading the forum is late model  m38?).  I don’t know…  Anyway, they spent a few months getting it cleaned up, repainted (as you see it now ) and running. His 2 boys have been running the crap out of it around their property ever since.  They are older now and into trucks, and don’t mess with it any longer.  So that’s how I got it.

Also, I’ve also got the working PTO for it, as well as a spare parts trans my friend found in a junk yard some time back.

The 2 pieces they didn’t redo/touch were the windshield and tailgate. I rubbed thru some paint layers on the tailgate and I found a dark red paint…see first few pics I posted.  I can also see some red paint under the material under the hood. I’m going to look at the windshield this weekend to see if I find the same paint.

At this point, I ordered some windshield pivot hardware and tailgate hinges so I can attach them to the vehicle.  I also ordered a gas tank/parts to replace the makeshift one they were using all these years (you can see it strapped in the bed behind the drivers seat).

Thank you for the ford comment;  it’s a 52 ford 8n and I redid her about 10 years ago.  We cut grass, roto-till  the garden and plow snow with her.  I’ve had her since 1983, Always ran perfect, I just needed to prettier up.

Well thanks again for your comments, any advice, suggestions and comments are much appreciated.

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2009 at 4:56pm
  With the type of parking lightmounts  and the 4 inch hole in the back drivers side for a trailer electric socket  and the frame gussetts on the front where the bumper bolts on,  I would guess a  later 1947 - through 1948 CJ2A   

Welcome to the group and good luck with a nice find.     JIM
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2009 at 5:46pm

The AMC#, is it stamped on the front face or side of the toeboard gusset? Obviously I'd like to find this number so I can id the body. If I can actually make out the tailgate number, it only tells me I've got the tailgate for a given vehicle, not necessarily the vehicle I've got. If I find the AMC#, should it match the tailgate# ?
Thx, Jim
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2009 at 6:55pm
The ACM number would be where you have that red box drawn, that number ceased to exist sometime in 48 when WO took over body production, usually there is a 10000 number separation (give or take) between that number and the serial number of the Jeep due to different starting points(and other factors). It's nice to find the matching tailgate, originally it would have been the same number as the tub, but they are so easy to change (and easily damaged) that finding one fitted from another Jeep is not unusual. (actually may be more common than a matching #LOL)

Edited by bkreutz - 30 Oct. 2009 at 11:39pm
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2009 at 9:07pm
mmmmm ... looks like 177431 on the tailgate. i need to get some brake cleaner to strip the toeboad gussit.
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2009 at 9:13pm
So it looks like I'm the proud owner of a 48 tailgate.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2009 at 1:54pm
You have a '48 after s/n 181174.

ACM 177431 would correspond to approx. s/n 187431 (plus/minus a hundred or so).

That's in the time frame when they eliminated ACM numbers on the toeboard gusset, but check it closely anyway, it may still be there.

Sean
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2009 at 2:37pm
Sean, thanks for the information. I'll clean off the toeboard gusset and let you know what I find.
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2009 at 4:26pm

I ordered windshield pivot brackets and thumbbolts from kaiser; also the body to tailgate hinges. I'm assuming they don't come with fasters. Does anyone have pics or information on original size and type of fasters to use with these parts.

Appreciate any suggestions/info..
Thanks, Jim
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2009 at 9:53pm
The windshield pivot brackets will have welded nuts behind them to take the thumbbolts.

You can check the parts list for the tailgate hinge bolts.

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2009 at 3:09pm
Thanks, I didnt realize you guys had the entire parts list online in a database.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2009 at 3:13pm
We guys don't, but Sean does.  ClapClapClap

Parts List

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2009 at 7:07pm
Hello,
I ordered and recieved a few replacement reproduction parts already from Kaiser.... good quailty and everything was shipped/delivered quickly. But at this point  I'm starting to compile a list of obvious missing parts, and its a big list... lol...  and I'm wondering if anyone can offer opinions / suggestions on the best places to get reproduction or original parts.
Thx, Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2009 at 8:23pm

Here are some additional pics I took today.

BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2009 at 8:27pm
I thought the Ziebart sticker was interesting...
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2009 at 8:44pm

lots of red paint on  windshield and tailgate.

At this point I'm figuring out what I want to do with it. Remove 12v system and electric fuel pump and try and restore it back to original with 6v and original style fuel pump ( using original or reproduction parts ?). Paint is the orther thing.. do I  paint it original luzon red/ Universal Beige with a Luzon Red stripe wheels or paint it military style (which I'd love to do..)

Anyway, I need to get a starter , the orginal is too far gone.. 
durangotang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote durangotang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2009 at 10:07pm
What do all of those relays go to on the passenger side inner fender?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>