Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 45 Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 1:57am
Thanks for posting your journey with pics. I love seeing the hard work turn into something awesome! Word of advice. NO old spring set is worth putting under a frame off resto. If you did not buy new ones in your lifetime the are spent. You will end up with a crooked Willys for sure. New leafs from Carl Walck's is the way I go on ALL my resto's. Hope this helps. 
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 2:02am
Originally posted by Doodledad Doodledad wrote:

Thanks for posting your journey with pics. I love seeing the hard work turn into something awesome! Word of advice. NO old spring set is worth putting under a frame off resto. If you did not buy new ones in your lifetime the are spent. You will end up with a crooked Willys for sure. New leafs from Carl Walck's is the way I go on ALL my resto's. Hope this helps. 

Strange, spring shop in Columbus Ohio re-arched and re-tenshioned mine just fine......  The key is no cracks and no bent areas......

7 year resto, completed in 2013, and the '45 still sits level, drives fine, even with the 265# front bumper weight..
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 2:24am
We had a shop in Salem VA that used to re-arch springs.
The shop is no longer there now.
I didn't get mine done. before they closed.  Once the Jeep is closer to being done and has the engine in it and the body on it etc, I will re-evaluated the situation and go from there.
The plan is to keep as many original parts as possible.

Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2017 at 12:17am
Engine electrical parts ready to go to The Brillman Company for rebuilding.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2017 at 3:31pm
Like the progress
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2017 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Like the progress
Hey, it's progress.  Hopefully it will build to momentum and then things will really start to get done.Big smile
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2017 at 12:57am
looking good fella! I don't know what it costs to rebuild distributors but I found the electronic ones are quite reasonably priced if you're going 12 V.  And you can keep your original just in case.  So much nicer and less finicky 
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2017 at 12:25pm
I would have to vote for the electronic ignition if you can get 1 to fit. I did it on my V6 in the 3B. Wonderful improvement for a shaft that has about 185,000 miles on it. I put 1 on my brothers CJ6, works fine. My neighbor but a DUI in his CJ7. We could actually start it again. I love computers. Again, I replaced the points and condenser in my Commando around 7 years ago. I have never had to mess with them.
uncamonkey
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2017 at 12:49pm
When GM HEI came out in the 70s, it didn't take long for me to decide it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Then they started putting computers all in vehicles and spoiled the fun.  

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2017 at 1:15am
Visited the place doing my starter, generator, distributor, voltage regulator and soon to be keyed coil.
Here is a pic of his vintage machine that can check all of those parts even under load and make sure they are working properly after being restored.

Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2017 at 2:37pm
very cool
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2017 at 12:24am
Jeff,
Not all the pics I wanted to post nor the update I wanted to give.  He was just getting started on my generator and the other parts where scheduled for later this month.

I am going to have to find another crank for the engine.  
I thought I had a good replacement but it turns out that this one is between 30-40 under before being turned so it doesn't look like that will be a candidate for me.

At least progress is being made none the less.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2017 at 12:31pm
My local auto electric shop has a similar ancient machine. They've helped me get both my Willys back on the road. I think they enjoy working on the old stuff like we have. The guys there don't even blink when I drop an old starter or generator on their counter. 
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2017 at 1:51am
Distributor torn down

Will need a replacement armature for my starter.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2017 at 2:20am
I had to giggle when I saw the machine. I'm sort of surprised that there still are people around that know how to use it and more power to them. My HS auto shop had about every new device in it and I laugh when I've gone in with friends who have an older vehicle and the tech is just wandering around with a cable in hand because he can't find where to plug it into the OBD.
uncamonkey
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2017 at 5:20am
If we'd have had all this fancy diagnosis stuff when i was starting, I'd probably have never started turning wrenches.  I love trying to figure out a good automotive puzzle.  

Farmuse50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmuse50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2020 at 7:13pm
I know this is an old post but if you are in the Roanoke, Salem area there is a gentleman that purchased Roanoke auto spring works equipment and still does re-arching in the Cloverdale area near the Pepsi plant.

Teacher Life Changer
1955 CJ5 playtoy
99 XJ wheeltoy
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 5:56am
Welcome to the page, Farmuse50!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567