Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #16890, Cape Town

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 CJ2A #16890, Cape Town
    Posted: 05 Aug. 2013 at 9:41pm
Hello everyone!
I am new to the cj2a page and I thought it was time to share my Willys project.

I am from Cape Town in South Africa and a few years back my father acquired 1946 cj2a #16890 for him and I to restore together. Unfortunately he passed away in 2007 before we could really get started on the jeep.

I am currently a mechanical engineering student at Stellenbosch University. I hope to use the knowledge gained there, together with the knowledge and skills taught to me by my father to do things properly and see this restoration through to end. My goal is to achieve a restoration that honors the design that Willys Overland produced in 1946. I look forward to the opportunity to learn a lot from this experience. I have already learnt an incredible amount just by reading some of the threads on this forum, and I am thankful to have access to this resource. Hopefully I can give this jeep a new start and get it looking half as decent as some of the other inspiring jeeps out there!

I will try to get up a few pictures soon :) 

Edited by Sarge 46 CJ2A - 05 July 2021 at 1:18am
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2013 at 11:26pm
welcome to the site. pictures are good. there is a lot of very good help , just ask and someone will know that.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
Sarge 46 CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2013 at 5:30pm
Hi dennis, thanks very much!

1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2013 at 5:37pm
Welcome! If you don't already know it there are a few of you SA flat fender enthusiasts on the forum. Hopefully you all can network with each other on parts and such. It sure would be cheaper trading amongst yourselves than having parts shipped over from the US.
Your project looks to be a fairly solid candidate----better than most.
Good Luck!Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2013 at 6:24pm
very nice ride.... lots of great info and folks on here, enjoy the journey! Your dog looks like a Willy fan too!
Jim
Rory Kew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rory Kew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2013 at 2:39pm
Welcome Sarge from another Cape Tonian. Nice looking rig!!

Whereabouts are you? I'm in Blouberg, with another member, there's a guy in Melkbos and one in Durbanville. One or two in Sourthern suburbs as well.
If you need any local help shoot me a PM as the other guy in Blouberg runs a fantastic business restoring old Jeeps and I'l hook you up with him. My starter decided to eat some of its innards last weekend so its with him at present. Hoping to get it back tomorrow night in time for some long weekend wheeling. 
We should create a local chapter and organise some runs when the weather warms up a little.
Rory

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 11:49am
Thanks for all the replies!

damar2yxr, thank you yeah it will definitely be cheaper and it looks like there are a cpuple of guys that have or can get parts! My frame and tub aren't in very good shape but the rest isn't too bad :)

Rory, thats great news!! I'm actually in Somerset West but I'll definitly be needing some help sooner or later so I will take you up on that thank you!! I saw a group of cj2's driving around the Chapmans Peak area a whille ago, maybe that was you or the guys you mentioned? But I agree! It would be very cool to get something like that going! (mines still far away from getting back on the road but it'll get there!) Hopefully you can sort out your jeep in time for the long weekend!

I'll put up some more pics soon
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2013 at 6:10pm
Finally have the time to upload a few photos of what's been going on with the jeep over the last year.

Taking things apart is always fun! until you get to the previous owners work and all the rusted bolts holding down the body.. 

Finally got it off though and this is what it looks like. 

I'm definitely going to have to do something about those floors but I want to get all the paint and crap off first to see what's actually going on! Is it safe to sand blast these body's or will the panels get damaged?

One of the cylinders had started rusting on the inside and under the head but this engine is going to get a nice rebuild one of these days!

The front brakes were changed to disk brakes. Not sure yet if I agree with that or not..

Been doing lots of cleaning! Hopefully I can start getting stuff painted soon.

At this point most of the jeep is in this little storage room Tongue gives me space to work in the garage at least!

So this is basically where I am now! 
The frame is rusted through in this way close to 3 out of the four leaf spring brackets and has made it quite weak in those areas.. One or two of these areas are quite a lot worse (last photo) and I'm not quite sure how I should go about fixing that.. I don't want to end up making it even weaker than it is now!
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
Fred Ashbrook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Ashbrook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2013 at 2:06am
Yes, you can sandblast the body, but use lower pressure & blast from a 45 degree angle & keep moving. If you're not doing it yourself, find someone who knows how to blast sheet metal without warping it. Looks like a great project!

F.
Fred A
48 Lefty
Virginia

48 Lefty
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2013 at 2:10am
you can blast with soda. it wont warp the sheet metal. it will take off grease and paint.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
Bobby Peyrot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobby Peyrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2013 at 8:26pm
There is a guy in Struisbaai building good bodys. I have his details somewhere, I'll find them.
JohnPiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnPiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2013 at 10:51pm
Nice work, just curious is that beer bottle on the top of the block stock??LOL!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2013 at 12:10pm
Thanks for the info!

John, thats a good observation haha I didn't even notice that! I'd say it's quite an important accessory LOL
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2013 at 10:45pm
I have been trying to find out more about my jeeps engine which has a strange serial number on it and what also seems to be a very late casting number. The serial number is V0120216084 (which must mean something else because I've never seen a serial number like this before), and the casting number is 908756. I've read that those casting numbers only appeared in the 50's and were on the M38 engines? The head casting number 640161 W2 which seems to be correct for 1946? If anyone could tell me more about what these numbers mean I would really appreciate it!!
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2014 at 12:45pm
So it's been a while and my jeep project has been standing still for a long time now but I recently picked up my restored frame and body parts from Reynier at CJ2A Engineering in Struisbaai. He did a great job on them and it's really exciting to have such a big part of the project done! Things have started picking up speed again so I thought I'd add a few pictures of the progress.

Very exciting to find what seems to be the original color under the firewall data plate :)

Work being done on the body tub:

All done :)

Bringing everything home with the Land Cruiser. I really didn't want to drive twice so the frame got to ride home on the roof :)

I couldn't resist getting a taste of what it was all going to look like once it starts coming together:

In the meantime I've started painting some parts in my DIY spray booth:

I decided to do the frame and parts in satin black:

I was a bit rushed and ended up not cleaning the front axle properly before painting it. Now the paint isn't sitting on it and I'm going to have to take it all off and start over. I was really disappointed but I guess that's how you learn! This is the result of my rookie error: 

Luckily everything else turned out perfect:

I still have quite a few parts and the frame to paint but I'm waiting on some fresh seals and parts and then it's time to start putting things back together! 

I'm definitely going to make sure I prep the surfaces properly for paint so that I don't make that mistake again!
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2014 at 7:43pm
I've been making slow progress on the jeep but recently the build has taken a few big steps forward! It's very exciting to be at the point where I can start to assemble clean and freshly painted parts! Now the fun starts!

Some more pictures of my progress for anyone follwing:

T-90 and T-18 before.

T-18 after being stripped, cleaned, painted, and ready to be re-assembled with new gaskets etc. Luckily everything was still in good order and nothing had to fixed or replaced.

T-18 assembled and ready to rock n roll!

Edited by Sarge 46 CJ2A - 27 Nov. 2014 at 10:35pm
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2014 at 7:58pm
After my paint screw up where it all chipped off the first batch of parts that I had painted, including the front axle, I tried again with a different primer in between the etch primer and paint. This time it came out great and is holding well.

New seals ready to go into my Dana 25 front axle.

I found something quite interesting. The inner seals that came out of my front axle have the same Ford "F" symbol stamped into them as the parts that come off of the army Ford GPW's. I wonder where these came from!

The yokes from both axles were in rough shape. Would be stupid to put them back like that so I had them re-sleeved.

Re-assembled with new seals and gaskets all round. Looks so much better than it did when it first came off Big smile

Now I'm just waiting on some more seals and then I'll be able to finish up the hubs and front brakes.
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2014 at 8:16pm
The rear axle was quite a process. Most of the effort went into removing a stuck brake drum (which eventually gave up and fell apart because we got sick and tired of it and went nuts with a hammer Confused). I managed to get hold of a good used drum after we got the old one off and everything worked out well!

Before.

The stuck drum giving us a headache..

Drum finally off and the guts disassembled. Before and after sandblasting.

Fresh satin black paint and inside of the axle nice and clean again.

Ready for assembly!

And done! Ready to be filled with oil, bolted onto the leaf springs and then onto the frame!

1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>