Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #16890, Cape Town

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2015 at 2:48pm
I have really enjoyed following your posts, you are doing a great restoration.
Keep up the good work.Clap Looking forward to seeing more of your project.

Sarge 46 CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2015 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by bundu jeep bundu jeep wrote:

Your work done so far is looking really great - I think Stellenbosch University should give you "special credits" for your engineering degree!!
Well done.

Clap

Thank you!! I wish they would! Tongue I must say though that the mechanical understanding I have gained from doing this work will no doubt come in handy in some of my future engineering subjects. In fact it already has.
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2015 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Olive Olive wrote:

I have really enjoyed following your posts, you are doing a great restoration.
Keep up the good work.Clap Looking forward to seeing more of your project.

Thank you! That's great to hear :) I'll try my best to keep it up!

1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2015 at 7:34pm
So the transmission, transfer case, and bell housing finally went on! Now I just need the motor and then I could almost go for a drive already!

1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2015 at 4:14am
You will want to up grade that original brake master cylinder if your putting disc brakes on the front. both for safety and to be better able to adjust the bias on the brakes so your not skidding the rear brakes everytime you apply the brakes.

I strongly suggest you look into one of the Master Cylinder upgrade kits that is designed for front disc's
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2015 at 4:42am
I was actually talking to Mike at Kaiser Willys today about brakes. He told me for my stock master cylinder I needed a 2 lb. risidual valve for running the disks, and 10 lb. for a stock drum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2015 at 7:44pm
Thanks for the advice. I thought of installing a proportioning valve to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes which would solve the problem of the rear brakes locking up before the front. But if the standard master cylinder isn't strong enough to run disk brakes off of then that changes things.

The disk brakes were on this Jeep when we got it so my plan was to put it back together and see how it works.. I do want to get rid of the disk brakes and replace them with standard drums in the future just to make this cj more original so that's also why I went with the standard master cylinder.
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2015 at 5:19pm
I received my self-made master cylinder tie bar back from the laser-cutter and to my delight it's fits perfectly!

I've also finished rebuilding the top cover of the T90 so now the transmission completely done.

1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2015 at 5:36pm
Nice! Good job, It looks fabulous.

Let us know how the brakes work out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2015 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Nice! Good job, It looks fabulous.

Let us know how the brakes work out.

Thank you, Sir! Will do Thumbs Up
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
Frans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2015 at 6:51am
Looks good!! Thumbs Up
Frans
Smithfield, South Africa
Tel 0794317256

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:45pm
I haven't done too much work lately but the motor is currently at the engineering shop which is quite exciting! I will post pictures and info about that when I get it all back. 

I also had lots of help finding some rims that will suit the CJ better. Now I just need to make them the right colour and get the NDT tyres! No update on the brakes yet except that the new rims don't fit over the big calipers of the disk bakes very nicely so it looks like I will have to find some original drum brakes for the front after all.

I've also had to move things back to the other garage so now everything is together in one room again and this is how it looks at the moment :)

1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 5:10pm
Disk brakes are nice. Would a spacer fix your interference problems? Might be a cheaper and easier solution, especially way down there on the bottom of the world.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 1:03am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Disk brakes are nice. Would a spacer fix your interference problems? Might be a cheaper and easier solution, especially way down there on the bottom of the world.

Hi smfulle,

That's a fair point and a spacer could probably fix the problem but the front wheels already stand wider than the rear (probably because of the disk brakes) so I don't want to go even wider. I'm not sure if the front are actually supposed to be wider than the rear but either way I would rather go back to original if I can get hold of the parts.

1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2016 at 8:31am
Happy new year everyone!

It's been a really long time since I've been able to make progress on the jeep Cry but fortunately I'm right in the middle of our summer holiday at the moment and I have had some time to get things done! 

I've had to take some things off the frame again for various reasons. The steering box and column have come off because the bushes in the steering box are worn worse than I predicted. So while I'm waiting for new ones the steering box has to come apart again but I'll feel better after having done it properly. I'm also hoping that it will get rid off some of the play in the steering system, even if it's not much.

I have been able to add something small to the frame though! I recently got my rims back from powder coating and the jeep is finally starting to get some colour! When I first picked them up I was shocked at how bright the orange was that they came out in but after putting them onto the frame and looking at them for a long time they seemed alright Tongue I've also found more of what seems to be the original harvest tan colour on the hood, in between the WILLYS lettering and under the cocktail of other colours that this jeep seems to have worn during its lifetime.

The transmission came off after I test-fitted the body tub and noticed that the hole in the floor doesn't line up with the gearbox as well as it should. That killed the excitement that I had for getting the body painted in the meantime but the plan now is to finish the engine, mount it in the frame, attach the transmission, bolt it all down, fit the body again, and then go from there. 

Speaking of engines!

It's come a long way since I first opened the rusty mess. Everything is finally back from the engineering shop and I've had time to paint everything and get my hands on all the parts I needed. I couldn't resist laying all (most..) of it out! After laying it all out and stepping back to take a look, my first thought was 'what the hell have I gotten myself into..'. Ah well, let the fun begin! Tongue
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2016 at 8:38am
Looking real good, keep it up....there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Adrian
NZ
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2016 at 5:44pm
I don't know if it because you have to wait so long for parts delivery or what, but you people down there in South Africa sure do some beautiful detail work.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2016 at 5:41pm
Thank you Adrian! I'm slowly starting to see it!
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>