Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #16890, Cape Town

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paraex79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 5:32am
Hi Sarge, please email me at ammheat@gmail.com thanks . Allan
Allan Montile
Sarge 46 CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2017 at 8:20am
The pace is about to pick up. This picture is not quite up to date. The motor is already finished and sealed up, and it's just about ready to join the gearbox and transfer case in the frame. Once that happens I will start connecting all the little bits and prepare for the first engine start. That will be a very stressful and exciting day! More to follow soon.

Greetings from Cape Town :)

1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 3:17am
Looks good.  Good luck on the first start!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Looks good.  Good luck on the first start!

Thank you very much :)
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2018 at 9:33pm
Hello everyone :) I am finally able to post some pictures that are up to date. The motor, clutch, gearbox, transfer case, axles, drive-shafts, and steering bits are all where they should be, and all seem to be holding their oil. This is a relief. I still have to make up the front brake lines, and then bleed the system. Now there are just one or two things on the engine side that still need attention before the first start can happen. Number one on that list is the radiator. I have since found out that mine seems to be from a later model that is mounted to the grill, and not to the frame like I understand it should. My grill had been restored a while ago, unfortunately before I found out about the later-style radiator, so at this point I can't use any mounting locations that would have been on the grill. Taking things back to stock in this project is definitely what has cost the most time. With this radiator situation I may have to make a compromise, but I'm still exploring the different options. Hopefully it won't cause too much trouble. By the time that has been taken care of, I should have everything in order for the first start! Hopefully not long now.

Greetings from Cape Town.

1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2018 at 9:43pm
Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 12:35am
Hats off to you! What a beautiful chassis. Keep posting pics for all of us to enjoy

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 1:50am
Nice work,the chassis is looking good.Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 5:37am
So, you need the tabs for radiator mounting that should be welded onto the front crossmember?  And then a radiator that mounts there?  Or would you be willing to make a frame-like structure to hold the radiator?  It wouldn't then count as a strict restoration, but it would get you going...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 10:26am
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Hats off to you! What a beautiful chassis. Keep posting pics for all of us to enjoy
Thank you so much jeeper50! I will certainly do so :)
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Nice work,the chassis is looking good.Thumbs Up
Thank you very much Gil :)
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 10:30am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Thumbs Up
Many thanks mbullism :)
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

So, you need the tabs for radiator mounting that should be welded onto the front crossmember?  And then a radiator that mounts there?  Or would you be willing to make a frame-like structure to hold the radiator?  It wouldn't then count as a strict restoration, but it would get you going...
Hello Ol' Unreliable! So the mounting tabs that are welded onto the front crossmember are actually present on my Jeep. It's just that the radiator that I currently have doesn't have the mounting points on its underside. Instead, it has a flange on either of its sides that would allow it to be mounted directly to a grill. My understanding is that the original CJ2A radiator mounts onto the tabs on the crossmember (I think they refer to it as "bottom-mounted"?), and I have been told that the one I have is from a later model Jeep that would have used a side-mounted/grill-mounted radiator. I'm unsure which Jeep that would be. I've been meaning to do some research in that direction. On top of that, its upper inlet/outlet is also on the wrong side (compared to the CJ2A's). Maybe it is worth posting a picture or two here. It will explain better than I can. This is my situation:

1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 2:35pm
The flatfender with the Grille mounted radiator was the late CJ3A.
You can't just bolt a CJ3A grill on and use that radiator because the CJ3A did not have recessed parking light like your early CJ2A grill does.

Besides not being bottom mount, the radiator in your photo has the wrong bottom hose fitting, the top hose fitting is on the wrong side,  and the whole radiator appears too wide overall. Your bet solution would be to get the correct radiator. (along with the missing fan shroud).

Edited by Joe Friday - 11 Feb. 2018 at 2:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

The flatfender with the Grille mounted radiator was the late CJ3A.
You can't just bolt a CJ3A grill on and use that radiator because the CJ3A did not have recessed parking light like your early CJ2A grill does.

Besides not being bottom mount, the radiator in your photo has the wrong bottom hose fitting, the top hose fitting is on the wrong side,  and the whole radiator appears too wide overall. Your bet solution would be to get the correct radiator. (along with the missing fan shroud).
Hello Joe. I've become aware of this as well, and my hope is definitely to find a correct radiator, and of course the very important radiator shroud. At least the shroud is something that could be fabricated, but it would be nice to find an original. It has been quite frustrating to discover that so many of the parts and such on this Jeep are not how they should be. I am trying to get everything back to as stock as possible. It was all designed to work together, so that's how it should be, and that is what I am aiming for. Though at the same time I have to remind myself that I am also still a student and that I can't let the financial side of this project get too out of hand. So I hope I'll be able to come up with a good solution. Which ever way it goes, I'll be sure to document it here :) Thanks for your comment.
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 2:59pm
I would just hate to see your beautiful handywork sitting by the side of the road in a steaming puddle of coolant because the previous owner didn't care as much as you do.
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 3:16pm
I went through the same issue, kind of.. I had found a nice CJ3A frame and had to weld the radiator mounts to use the 2a radiator.  For trivia, I believe your radiator is a ford, maybe mustang from the 60's. If its 3 core, you may be able to sell it to help finance a new radiator.

you can see images about halfway down the page.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 3:40pm
We all have our ways to do things. My brother gave me a radiator out of a V6 Jeep. Alright I had to cut into the battery tray and add some metal to mount it.
It does cool better. No more running both heaters on a trail in UT.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>