Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Build - 48 Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Build - 48 Lefty
    Posted: 01 Feb. 2016 at 3:49am
Well, I guess I'll start my build thread now.  I've wanted a flat fender Jeep since I was 12 or 13 years old.  At 46 years old, I was finally able to fulfill that dream.  It started with the CL add:

After making the first trip over to Detroit to look at it, agree on a price and leave a deposit.  I borrowed a truck, trailer and nephew and made the trip across the state again to pick it up.

Got it home and got it fired up, but quickly found some issues.  Had to replace a broken timing gear.  Also found one of the rod bearings bad.

We got the gear replaced and replaced the rod bearing for now, to get it running and see if there are any other major issues.  Got to take it on the first drive.

I've been able to drive it now and then, including a little snow wheeling a couple weeks ago.

My wife and I decided to take a shot at upholstering our seats.  We got both front seat bottoms done.

Well, the time has come to take the plunge and pull the motor for it's rebuild.  With a little (actually a lot) of help from my friends at The Jeep Armory and my brother-in-law, we got the motor out.

So now that the motor is out, I'll start tearing it down tomorrow night.  While it's at the Jeep Armory, I'm getting the front of the frame rails repaired.  I'm also getting the barge off of the front and having a bumper built that looks similar to original, with a winch plate and tow points.  I'm not building an off road beast, but plan on wheeling it.  So might as well prepare it.  :)

More to come...  

Edited by Freedom21 - 10 Mar. 2016 at 3:35am
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2016 at 3:25am
I finally found time to take the motor in for its hot bath and machining. Used the JK to haul the 2A motor.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2016 at 5:16pm
DOH!!  Found a broken front spring.  Would love to order a full new set of all 4 springs.  But with the motor in for rebuild and not knowing what that's going to cost...  Ouch

I could find two fronts and just use ladder shackles on the rear to level it out until I get new rear springs.  Opinions??

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2016 at 1:20am
I say buy new ones before you find out how much $$$$ the motor cost.
Other wise it'll be to late😜
But that's if I was spending your money. Lol
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2016 at 1:30am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

But that's if I was spending your money. Lol

I like the way you think.  LOL  
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2016 at 5:24pm
Ok, so I bit the bullet and bought all new leaf springs.  I bought replacements, not actual "lift" springs. But, mine we sagging so much that I did gain some lift from the new springs.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2016 at 3:35am
Sometimes it seems like baby steps.  Had a little time, so I cleaned up the air canister.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 5:35pm
Got the call yesterday, the motor is finally ready to pick up from the machine shop.  It took a while, but in their defense, they did warn me that there were several motors ahead of mine and they specialize in antique motors.  And actual cost came in lower than the estimate.  I'm pretty excited.  Now just to find the time to put into it.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 4:10am
Late, but cheaper,  sounds like a good thing.  :)

Hopefully you find time to get it running soon . .  keep us posted.
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2017 at 2:37pm
My Willys, like so many others got put on the back burner for quite a while.  After getting the motor back in June of 2016, it still sits on an engine stand.  About the time I got it back, my wife and I decided to sell our house and finally get out of a housing development and onto some property.  We bought an old farm house with great out buildings and 8 acres.  The prepping of the old house for selling, the moving into the farm house, daughter in soccer and volleyball, etc, etc.  Life got in the way.

Things have finally settled down for a moment and am excited to start spending some time working on the Willys again.  A fellow Willys owner and good friend stopped over for a beverage over the weekend.  While we were just hanging out in the workshop I told him I had trouble getting the windshield off the windshield frame.  So we grabbed a dead fall hammer, some magic spray (WD40) and proceeded to have the windshield out in about 20 minutes.

We then removed the windshield frame from the Jeep.  I'm planning on filling the old screw holes along the top from an old soft top and then blast and paint the frame.  I hope to do the fenders and grill as well.  There will be a little bit of patch work to do on the old steel to take care of some rust, etc.  With the front end off and the motor/tranny/transfer case/pto out, it's a good time to clean off the build up of gunk on the axle and running gear.  I'm not ready for a frame off restoration just yet.  One step at a time, but I'm excited about it again.  

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2017 at 9:09pm
Welcome back Pete,congrats on your new property and enjoy your jeep build ,keep the pictures coming.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 3:08am
The holes across the windshield top may be original.  Don't just weld them up without checking them out.  My Kayline top uses the originals; you may be able to use them too.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Welcome back Pete,congrats on your new property and enjoy your jeep build ,keep the pictures coming.

Thank you, sir.

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

The holes across the windshield top may be original.  Don't just weld them up without checking them out.  My Kayline top uses the originals; you may be able to use them too.

Good advice, thank you.  I'm not sure if I'll buy a new top, or have one made.  So now my dilemma is this...  I don't want to put the work into the frame and paint it.  Then end up welding the holes that don't match up, only to have to paint it again.  Not knowing what top I'll end up with, do I wait on stripping and painting the frame to keep the holes.  Or do I weld the holes all shut and paint the frame.  Then just drill and tap the holes to match whatever top I end up with?
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 3:38pm
Hey Freedom 21, New home (compound?) and new motor, life is good! eh?. Is the pic with all the jeeps your new home or the jeep armory? The guys in the pic pulling the motor look like guys I know only 20 yrs ago . Made a connect between an old friend(yeah I know all my friends are old ) and the jeep armory, guess He's into 4-wheel rangers ect. I'm looking forward to a good 2018 are jeeps will be 70. Flatheads and Flat fenders Forever! Joe    by the way my bike is called "Black Betty"
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Hey Freedom 21, New home (compound?) and new motor, life is good! eh?. Is the pic with all the jeeps your new home or the jeep armory? The guys in the pic pulling the motor look like guys I know only 20 yrs ago . Made a connect between an old friend(yeah I know all my friends are old ) and the jeep armory, guess He's into 4-wheel rangers ect. I'm looking forward to a good 2018 are jeeps will be 70. Flatheads and Flat fenders Forever! Joe    by the way my bike is called "Black Betty"

Life is good, Joe.  The pics are at the Armory.  I'm the one with the hat on.  It will be cool that our Jeeps are actually 70 years old.  But I'm just looking forward to being able to drive mine again.  LOL.  The "Black Betty" reference has me puzzled.  I admit, my memory is getting worse as I get older...
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 9:09pm
Don't mean to insult you but the guy with the hat kinda looks like me (20yrs ago) . I thought it was you that posted in the off topic area about the song Black Betty, thinking you where naming your jeep Black Betty. Got a wild story about playing that song at the Web bar on Richmond. But that can wait. That's what the reference was about. Good Luck Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 9:45pm
Not insulted at all. I had a bike I wanted to get "BLKBTY" as a license place for.  Also, my ringtone is Black Betty.  So there is a connection, I just don't remember talking about it here.  So you may understand my confusion.  LOL.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
cowboy64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 3:08am
personally i like the orange and yellow coupe in the parking lot picture...so much easier to keep running !!
mam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>