Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Grandfathers CJ2a also

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 5:51pm
Lets see some examples of your welds.
What issues are you having welding?
I've been learning as I go while working on my CJ but have welded enough now to try to help.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 8:59pm
What type of welder are you using ?
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 9:25pm
Here is a pic of my welder.. and the gage it had in it..

46 CJ2A 17573 Sioux Falls SD
Link to Photos of Restoration
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuQgE9e
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 10:00pm
So my questions are so basic...I have obviously never done this before..
I am not even sure how to prep everything before welding a new panel in.

and what too do you use to cut out the old and to use to cut the new panel?  someone said a zipdisk.

Would this be the right places to cut out the old?

and where the old under body panel is welded to the body on the side, is the a special too you use to cut that away from the body or special way to grind it out?

Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 10:05pm
And some terrible welds.. These are my very first attempts...I have never done this only watched a few videos and read a few articles here.
I know I need lots of help..these are awful and just testing the welder..for about 30 minutes.. I know I will need to do lots more tests..

some burned through , some the wire went through the crack.
the closest were at minimum voltage and speed 5 about 1/2 inch away..

but it is not pooling up.. still mostly sitting on top..

Save

Edited by Rod - 30 Apr. 2017 at 10:13pm
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 10:59pm
Sheet metal is tricky and does take practice. You're not getting good weld penetration. My first suggestion would be to slow the feed to about 2...and turn up your amps. 3/8" of wire at the start. On sheet metal, weld in small runs. 1/2" or less, then let it cool.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 11:08pm
Additionally, the metal must be spotless. Shiny and clean.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 12:04am
Here's some quick tips from my Dad when he first started teaching me. Notice on the drawing that you do a cork-screw pattern as you are putting down a bead.
Prep your metal by grinding or sanding all the paint and rust off.
Check out my build thread "Patches" I've put in quite a few photos of patching similar areas to yours.
For that thin sheet metal I tend to keep my machine at 2.5, when the weld is burning through the sheet you are too hot.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 12:20am
If your welder has the option to use shielding gas do that and use normal wire. It's a little more money but the end result is way better. I use 030 ER 70S6 wire, and like athawk11 said everything has to be clean on both sides. Make sure you cut all the rust out or you'll spend forever chasing holes.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:16am
great ideas.. I like the idea of keeping a record.. of different settings etc..  I will run a line of different settings and keep notes... til I get a line of welds that look right.

I turned it the voltage and slowed it down the feed 2.5-3 ..cleaned that scrap metal piece and the welds are getting better.. they still have a little top hat on some of them..with a volcano hole in the center on a couple of them. and still popping ..

Thanks for your advice Here are a few more tests i just finished a few minutes ago..

2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:24am
Hey are using an Auto-dimming helmet? It helps (I use a Harbor freight one and it works fine).

I see some of your welds have "whiskers", those come off when you hit them with the angle grinder. Try to keep about 1/4" of wire as you are welding... it seems to work best for me. It takes some serious practice but your welds will slowly go from "chicken sh*t" to a steady nice head. My Pops is a retired Boilermaker and when he retired from Chevron they retired his weld stamp which they only do for some of the best welders there. He even cusses out the flux core MIG machines we are using.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:45am
I am using an auto dimming helmet

I have a long way too go

Thanks for the info
Do you have a recommendation for a welder?
I am just borrowing this one to try it out wasn't sure it would work for this project

Edited by Rod - 01 May 2017 at 2:49am
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 4:31am
I'm just using a cheap Chicago Electric that my Uncle gave me. It's nothing special but it works for me.

ETA: I've used four different brands of flux core wire and this so far has been the best for me. Note this is a 10lb spool, you can get em in smaller spools.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003XKIS6M/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_6?colid=3OST6GONRFHPQ&coliid=I3GLAKPJ9CGC3

Edited by 2t2-crash - 01 May 2017 at 4:34am
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 1:35pm
Practice is good. Wire speed, heat setting, and gas pressure need to be adjusted for the welder to work right. All told me that the sound tells you when you are right. A steady bacon frying noise. No sputtering. There should be a start setting for different thickness metals on your welder or in the manual. Start here. If the weld builds up high and doesn't penetrate, turn up the heat. If it sputters, turn up the speed. Little welders you buy at sam's club work marginally. I have to run my little 125 wide open on heat to get it to work at all. Clean clean clean. Wire feeds hate rust, grease and brass. Do not breath the vapors off galvanised metal. It's poisoness. It can kill you. 

Welds pull and warp if you weld too long and too far. They makes air tools that will flange (step) the metal and make a ledge, or a hole punch for "plug" welding. Butt welding needs to have the piece lined up and flat with the main metal. Control the heat. Weld a little and stop and cool the piece. You spot the repair in place. Stop and grind these spots nice and even before you do it again. Space out the spots. Patience. A little at a time, always grinding the spots before proceeding. Hold/clamp, bolt the piece. Sheet metal screws work good where you can't clamp it. Then just weld up those holes. Plan your access to grind the weld nice. don't "paint yourself into a corner".  A friend answered me one time when I was complaining about my weld appearance---------------He said "that's what they made grinders for". LOL

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 01 May 2017 at 1:37pm
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 1:50pm
Awesome information, thank you!
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:04pm
If you have air, buy yourself a die angle grinder. They make a small quick screw on disc. I buy 36 grit discs made by 3M. You can grind like a pro with them. I usually use a 4 1/2 inch stone grinder  to knock big stuff down, then a air die grinder with a cut off disc in it to get close to the metal surface, and finish with the small angle grinder disc. The big grinder will get things very hot, so take it easy. The die grinder with the cutoff disc doesn't get near as hot.  I'm 63 and wear the safety glasses with the 2 power bifocals.  Very cool. Wink Foam ear plugs and a mask. I drive Jeeps in the summer and do this hot crap in the winter. The older you get, the smarter you get. At least you're supposed to. So then, why  Jeeps??????LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:40pm
Rod if you are to buy a welder I would buy one that can use shielding gas they much easier to work with.That my opinion and John that was good information .

Giles
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 3:09pm
I do have air.. looks like that will same some headaches and time.
Thanks ..  Great info!

I see you are from the scenic side of our state.. Smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>