Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Grandpa's jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Grandpa's jeep
    Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 5:28pm
Here's a pic of my grandparents in the Missouri River Breaks country of north central Montana.  This jeep left the family a long time ago.  :(

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 5:31pm
What a fantastic photo!   
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 6:03pm
Thank you kind Sir!
Montana codes license plates with a prefix "county number".  Fergus County is #8 and Lewistown is the county seat.  I couldn't make out a date on the plate - it was just too fuzzy.  I'm guessing it was sometime in the late 50s.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 6:08pm
just awesome Clap
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 6:24pm
Nice!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 6:24pm
Montana Highway 200 runs east-west through the north central part of the state and in my humble opinion is a fascinating drive.  You'll pass through the general country in the pic above.
From the west, get off I-90 at Bonner, just south of Missoula.  You drive up a watershed that Merriwether Lewis explored on his return from the coast, and was part of the story setting for Maclean's "A River Runs Through It".  Lincoln is the little town where the Unabomber was caught.  Eastbound from there you'll go over Roger's Pass and transition from the Rockies into broken prairie country.  The views on the east side of Roger's Pass, looking northwest toward the Rocky Mountain Front, must be almost exactly what Lewis & Clark saw in 1804-1805.  No fences, no roads, no power or comm lines - that view is untouched by us humans and it's well worth stopping to take in.
Stay on 200 east of Great Falls.  Belt's history is Anaconda Copper Company history, which is interesting!  It was an important coal source for the company.  Copper in general and Anaconda in particular seemed to basically own the state for a number of years.

I grew up in Lewistown, which is the next stop and a good place to spend the night.  The country in the pic is east and north of there, along the Missouri river and its watershed.  Lewis and Clark passed by here when heading westward and Lewis returned this way.  (Clark returned via the Yellowstone River.)  It's a very sparse part of a sparse state.  Beautiful!  Dinosaur bone and possible oil country.

Remember Montana's "Freemen" story?  The guys who hated taxes to the point that they refused to pay any? That played out in this general area, east of Winnett.  My dad told me a different story of a rancher there damming up the local creek that crossed his property without first discussing the matter with his downstream neighbor.   Water access is a big deal in this area.  The neighbor retaliated by sneaking over and blowing up the dam one night, and that was apparently the end of the matter. 

You next hit Glendive where I94 is available.  You're now near the North Dakota border.

Edited by tamnalan - 06 Dec. 2018 at 12:35am
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 9:10pm
I have relatives in Great Falls and Missoula, my Grandpa worked at the local tannery back in the 50s and 60s. Mom graduated from Great Falls High School, my Aunts and Uncles live in Missoula and Helena. I recall visiting them in GF one summer and we sleep in his basement under a buffalo shoulder mount on the wall Wow was that thing huge and a buffalo hide for a blanket as a 7yr old. I am an Air Force brat so we moved all over the country and settled in TX. Thanks for the cool pic and the memory relapse

Edited by jeeper50 - 05 Dec. 2018 at 9:16pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 12:39am
Well there you go jeeper!  We share a common USAF history and Montana background.  I have the honor of returning to the Polson area next month to reunite with my jeep!  I'm retiring in a few weeks from USAF civil service and moving out west.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 2:22am
The only time I was ever in Montana was in Jan. of '75. I drove north out of Idaho Falls during a blizzard in a Jeep with no heater and a big hole in the firewall.  It was cold!  I didn't do much sightseeing.

That's a great pic of that Jeep!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 5:16pm
Great picture.  I love Montana.  I was stationed in Great Falls for a couple years in the early 90's.  Such a beautiful place.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 1:42pm
Cool picture Alan.
So you are storing your Jeep in MT?

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 2:21pm
Yessir.  My brother and I share a place near Polson that has a big garage.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2018 at 1:29pm
Love Montana

I have a large bunch of family in the town of Malta Montana (250 miles North of Billings), it was the first place I have seen quads/ATV's running right down the roadways...the whole state is beautiful...friendly folks...lots of horses still being used.

The ranch I was at was 7 miles off the town roadway...so peaceful there.

And who doesn't love that big sky?

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
 Post Reply Post Reply