Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My needle in a haystack.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2018 at 3:18am
Originally posted by gemandsdm gemandsdm wrote:

This site's data table seems to indicate that is common by 1948.

There is no vin... and the gap between your sn and body tag don't fit the gap in the database.  it's observational, nothing more.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
gemandsdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemandsdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2018 at 3:49am
Originally posted by Batjac65 Batjac65 wrote:

Nice! I see you’re from AR, where? I’m in LR. We’ll need to get together, I’ve got a needle also. 9800 original miles on mine, and no rust. Welcome. 

I'm in Farmington.

Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

I'll be the first to say to you that real jeeps don't have carpet and A/C so that leaves out the two in your driveway.  Wow will she buy you the next one too?

Just kidding and welcome to the mix!

Thanks for the welcome. The TJ is my daughters and would fit your definition.  Don't need AC in a soft top.  The JK is my 3rd Jeep, it has a radio too, I like my comforts in a DD...
gemandsdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemandsdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2018 at 4:08am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

This site's data table seems to indicate that is common by 1948.

There is no vin... and the gap between your sn and body tag don't fit the gap in the database.  it's observational, nothing more.

The VIN on my title matches the SN on the Jeep(194019).  I did notice that the Body Tag didn't match (192906). A difference of of 1113.  I didn't think much about it because a number of the 48s in the table didn't match either.  For example the first one in the screenshot has SN 189673, BT 180859, different by 8814, far more than mine.  Every other one in the screenshot is off by 10,000 or more, and they're all in the same SN/VIN range as mine.

That being said, is it a concern?  Should it match?  What does the number difference mean?

Looking to learn.
gemandsdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemandsdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2018 at 4:22am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

The wheelhouse length is definitely 2A.

Good to know, thanks!

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I would advise making sure the steering and brakes work before making the engine run.  It does no good to go if you can't steer and stop.

Good advice.  Steering works great.  Brakes work but will need some work before I drive it much.
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2018 at 4:39am
you’ll have to join one of our drives up around Oark. 
1946 CJ2A #75375
gemandsdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemandsdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2018 at 5:20am
Originally posted by Batjac65 Batjac65 wrote:

you’ll have to join one of our drives up around Oark. 

That sounds awesome!
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2018 at 1:07pm
Cool jeep. I wish I could have found one that nice in the beginning. Your project will be devoid of most of the really bad headaches. The serial numbers all seem to jive pretty well. They all fall within the norms of numerical differences. I can understand the perplexity in the seat frames since the 2a seat frame is shorter because the wheel well is positioned closer and you have a frame designed for the 3a/m38 body. Who knows? Get that baby running and have fun.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2018 at 1:28am

Don't need AC in a soft top.

I beg to differ.  When it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity out, it doesn't matter if your top is off or on, it's still TOO DARN HOT!!!  Think about it being 95/95 and you're stuck in traffic.  Still think you don't need AC?  Dead
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
gemandsdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemandsdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 5:55pm
It's alive!!!

After many hours of research, including this forum, many hours of cleaning checking and adjusting, including redoing some Bubbaness in the wiring, last night I followed the directions here:
and couldn't resist.  I poured a little gas in the carb and hit the starter.

It only ran for seconds til the gas ran out, but smooth and quiet, I am happy!  Except I'll be out of town for a week and the waiting is gonna suck!

Thanks to this forum and all it's members.  You have been, and will continue to be, a tremendous resource!

Edited by gemandsdm - 20 Sep. 2018 at 6:28pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 6:07pm
That was fun. Congrats!!  

Just FYI, if you click the little icon that looks like a strip of movie film, you can paste your youtube url into the designated spot and it will show as a picture like this below rather that just the clickable link.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
gemandsdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemandsdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

That was fun. Congrats!!  

Just FYI, if you click the little icon that looks like a strip of movie film, you can paste your youtube url into the designated spot and it will show as a picture like this below rather that just the clickable link.

Thanks!
gemandsdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemandsdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2018 at 9:07pm
Eugene is alive!  

Only runs full choke, and after several minute the radiator overflowed, but I'm one giant step closer.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2018 at 10:18pm
Great news! Keep the videos coming.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

gemandsdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemandsdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 7:24pm
First drive...

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 7:36pm
You really see how small they are when side by side with a newer one. Cool that you got it running so soon.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
gemandsdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemandsdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

You really see how small they are when side by side with a newer one. Cool that you got it running so soon.

Thanks, I am super happy.  I need a new temp gauge, and a carb rebuild before it's really "drive-able".  I figured out the choke/idle, the carb is sucking air when it's running, and dripping gas when it's shut off. Rebuild kit ordered this morning.
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 11:21pm
Another one rides again-congrats!

Keep the old iron rollin!Smile

Mike

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2018 at 4:20am
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

You really see how small they are when side by side with a newer one.

More like you see how BIG the JK is when it's next to the CJ.

Also, you should have eye protection on when driving with the windshield down.  You never know when a bug will fly right into your eye.  AMHIK...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>