Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My needle in a haystack.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2018 at 6:04am
Awesome to see - congrats!!!
1946 CJ2A #75375
gemandsdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemandsdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2018 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Also, you should have eye protection on when driving with the windshield down.  You never know when a bug will fly right into your eye.  AMHIK... 

Agreed 100%, a lesson learned from a june bug to the forehead in a previous Jeep.  It was an oversight caused by eagerness...

How do you identify a happy jeeper?  He's the one with bugs in his teeth.

Edited by gemandsdm - 02 Oct. 2018 at 5:48pm
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2018 at 5:49pm

.... Also, you should have eye protection on when driving with the windshield down.  You never know when a bug will fly right into your eye.  AMHIK...

Motorcycles are often used as an example of how it's legal to drive without a windshield.  But at least in Minnesota the motorcycle driver needs to have eye protection of some sort to be legal.  A windshield on a bike suffices, but without a windshield they need to have goggles, or a helmet with a shield or something.  I see a lot of riders with just sunglasses, so that might be enough to stay legal too.

By the way, a motorcycle passenger does not need eye protection (last I looked anyway).  Which I guess makes sense.  The law makers don't much care if you blind yourself, but they don't want a vehicle speeding down the road suddenly going out of control and hitting others because the driver got hit in the eye.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2018 at 1:32am
Originally posted by gemandsdm gemandsdm wrote:

It was an oversight caused by eagerness...

I can dig that!  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
gemandsdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemandsdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 1:15am
So, after a carburetor kit, a new temp guage and a new thermostat she's chugging right along. Not perfect, but after a few miles around the neighborhood certainly drivable.  Brakes are adequate if a bit grabby. If I get a good weather day before fall really sets in I'm taking it to work.

cottonwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 2:06am
Oh what a sweet sound of the ages
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by cottonwood cottonwood wrote:

Oh what a sweet sound of the ages

Always reminds me of a sewing machine...from back in the day...

They even really smell like the engines from days gone by too...

Open the hood on a modern day car and all I smell is hot plastic...magical stuff right there

MikeC
I am the squirrel....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 12:59am
Open the hood on a modern day car and you can't see anything but plastic.  No wonder that's all you can smell.  I have to wonder if all those covers do anything besides hide the engine.  Will the car still run if you remove all that plastic??
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 1:34am
You have a nice Jeep! As others have mentioned, your body is in excellent shape. I agree with enjoying the Jeep as-is. It looks great, and it sounds great too. When are you hitting the trails?

Open the hood on a modern day car and you can't see anything but plastic.  No wonder that's all you can smell.  I have to wonder if all those covers do anything besides hide the engine.  Will the car still run if you remove all that plastic??

It's all sound deadening material. Without the plastic, the engine noise is significantly louder from the interior. Cars guys love it. But those with Camry's... not so much.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 2:16am
I'm not a car guy any more.  Not since about '74 or so.  All the new cars look alike to me nowadays.
gemandsdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemandsdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

You have a nice Jeep! As others have mentioned, your body is in excellent shape. I agree with enjoying the Jeep as-is. It looks great, and it sounds great too. When are you hitting the trails?

Well my plan to get it drive-able (running) has grown.  First "real" drive we took it to a football game last week, turns out the grabby front brakes are also get hot if you go too far brakes.  For now my plan is to work my way through it this winter, starting with the brakes.

Funny story, on the way to the game we passed a new Willys Edition JK.  We did the Jeep wave, they checked us out, and my wife said "That's right, this is the Original Willys!"

Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2018 at 2:49am
LOL
1946 CJ2A 14098
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123