Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My new Koenig hard top!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new Koenig hard top!
    Posted: 24 June 2013 at 1:13am
Thank you Gale (bkreutz) for selling me your hard top!!!  I got it put together and just mocked up on my Willys as soon as I got home!  Thanks to this top, I've actually discovered that my windshield frame is actually bent back about 1 inch!  My Jeep might not run, but it sure looks cool sitting there!  lol.

Sean Kelly

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2013 at 1:44am
Looks good, nice to do business with you.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2013 at 12:20pm
That looks way better then mine was.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 1:45am
Do you have any photos of the interior of your top? I have a similar top that also has rubber gasketed side windows of a different size and shape. In your photo, it looks like there is some sort of horizontal bracing or ribbing that mine does not.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 1:50am
That bracing adjacent to the side windows is a channel for the glass to slide in so you can open the window. It looks like his windows were permanently fixed into place with a rubber weather seal making the channels defunct. Don't mind me butting in this picture, although you can see the driver's side window channel as how it came originally.

[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/154br2j/]

Edited by Clone421 - 25 June 2013 at 1:55am
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
banjoguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 2:49am
Yeah, Kyle is correct.  A previous owner in the past had replaced the sliding windows with a permanently fixed window.  Not sure why, maybe they broke.  I'm not too excited about the glass being fixed but at least it'll be a little more weather proof.  I live in the Seattle area and I've been told it rains here a little bit.  So the dryer I am, the happier I'll be.  Thumbs Up
Sean
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 3:14am
Thanks for posting the photo, that clarifies it very well. The sliding windows look like a nice feature to have. The top I have has gasketed windows of a larger size and no evidence of having those horizontal strips or them being removed. Banjoguy's photo shows the Koenig tag on the passenger side which I don't have either. Maybe I got a cheap knock-off.

Should help keep the PNW weather off of you, Banjoguy! Sorry for the threadjack.

48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 3:15am
On my build thread I have videos and photos of the inside of the top and doors if that helps.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
banjoguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 3:22am
Yeah, your window holes are MUCH bigger but the supports seem to be identical.  I wonder if someone modified yours so the back passengers would get a better view?  As for the Koenig tag, there's only 4 screws holding it on.  Someone might have unscrewed it?
Don't worry about the thread jack, I'm just excited to be getting this much attention on a thread I started!  LMAO!
- Sean
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2013 at 1:08am
Hi Banjoguy

So how do you like your Koenig Steel top in a traffic situation? I put mine on and it seems really really dark...also how does it fit?...Mine I had to reassemble on the Willys Jeep tub and I also had much yanking and prying to get it to fit the top rim on the tub and I still have huge gaps around the top lip where it wont settle down....not sure what is going on with mine...

thanks for any insight....

MikeC
I am the squirrel....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2013 at 4:09am
For me I assembled my top then put it on the jeep. I used clamps to hold it in place as well as my dad and wife. The doors were the most pain to line up but overall it was fairly easy. Maybe my top and body are both equally twisted.. Lol
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
banjoguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2013 at 6:27am
Yeah, I did the same thing as Mike Gardner.  Bolted the whole thing together on the ground, did some bending and twisting to get all the channels to come together.  You can still see some daylight through it.  I'm gunna just sandwich some rubber strips between the seams to help weatherproof it some.  I live in the seattle area, falling water happens a lot here... so I've been told.

I think from people grabbing the windshield frame when jumping out over the last 70 years has bent my windshield frame back about an inch.  So I'm just gunna bend it back.  Haven't taken it out for a test drive yet since I don't have a running engine in it yet (trying to sell my Jeep Grand Wagoneer to fund this money pit).

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2013 at 12:46pm
I used a clay like sealer to seal mine. I think in my build thread I posted about it. Worked great!
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2013 at 5:49am
My top was bolted to the lip of the body, and screwed to the windshield. If its dark inside the cab why don't you install a dome light or two to brighten things up?

Edited by Clone421 - 30 June 2013 at 5:51am
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1984 Honda VF750F
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 3:59am
I'm in the process of repainting my top (the one shown above) and plan on painting it white to lighten the interior. It was very dark inside with it painted black.

On another related topic: there were small remnants of vinyl or similar material left behind the screws remaining in the roof ribs. What kind of headliner was used in these tops? 

If the white paint can't keep the inside temps down, I was contemplating attaching a large piece of sheet aluminum to the roof and space it up an inch or so. I've seen this on older Land Rovers, I think its called a safari top.
48 CJ2A
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 6:24am
I don't know if my top had the original headliner material, as it would have to have been removed in order to paint the inside of the roof pink. My headliner apeared to be a fibrous material most similar to particle board. It had the strength of waterlogged particleboard that was dry to the touch, needless to say it snapped apart pretty easily. 

Edited by Clone421 - 01 July 2013 at 6:27am
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1984 Honda VF750F
banjoguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 7:26am
Would there be any problems with using thick plastic panels as a headliner?  Would be easy to cut in the shape needed, could be easily covered with spray adhesive and cloth, and wouldn't absorb moisture like the old particle board stuff did. 

Sean
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 7:56am
I don't see any problem with using a thick plastic sheet as a headliner, however you might have issues cutting it to fit if the plastic isn't flexible enough as the sides and rear of the roof are curved. Additionally the headliner slopes downwards towards the windshield.

Edited by Clone421 - 01 July 2013 at 8:02am
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1984 Honda VF750F
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>