Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My new Koenig hard top!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 1:10pm
So I think someone here has my orig door skins. The head liner is the same material. I went a different way on my top. I do have the orig brochure for the koenig top. It's a nice book and not just the 2 page flyers like I see most of the time. This was the book for the dealer to use and train from.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 1:24pm
On page 36 of my build you can see some of what I did to my top to insulate it and kill some of the noise. They pop, knock, rattle ans squeak. I used lots of insulation as well as a Jk soft top.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/7-years-of-work-a-lifetime-of-fun_topic6702_page36.html

My jeep isn't and was never a restoration. I need it usable and as comfortable as possible. So some of the stuff I did to my jeep my not fit your needs but I think it turned out awesome. I just wish it wasn't so heavy.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Coldwater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2013 at 10:12pm
Kyle is correct about the fibrous original headliner. I have an all original Model 350 Koenig full cab on my 1948 CJ2A. In the mid 60's when I was a teen, I removed that original fibrous material as it was crumbling and used it as a template to make a new headliner out of a single sheet Masonite then covered that with vinyl and attached it with adhesive. As a kid when we went into the rough stuff, that Masonite was decent to hit your head on and did no damage to it what so ever, however, I wonder at times what it did to my brain....ha!

I also mounted a dome light (I think it was a 60's Buick) in the center of the roof with a light switch mounted in the knock out of the dash just to the right of the steering column. I have always thought that putting insulation in between the headliner and the top between it's support pieces would make a lot of sense for noise and for keeping outside temps out of the cab.

Like Sean, I live in the Seattle area as well so the insulation would make good sense. I am doing a frame off and plan on using rubber strips on all areas where the top rests on the body so when removed, it would not show damage to the paint.

PM me if you would like any pics of what I did and I will dig some up.

Coldwater.
Coldwater
Zuma58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2013 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by banjoguy banjoguy wrote:

Would there be any problems with using thick plastic panels as a headliner?  Would be easy to cut in the shape needed, could be easily covered with spray adhesive and cloth, and wouldn't absorb moisture like the old particle board stuff did. 

Sean
Sean, I know that with polycarbonate, ie; Lexan, you can bend form it with a good heat gun. I believe there are methods of 'welding' it too. You can get this stuff in a variety of thicknesses as well
Steve
Long May You Run!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2013 at 5:00pm
This is how I mounted my head liner. It's not orig but super warm and looked awesome.

Jk Unlimited Softop using period correct fasteners.

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Coldwater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2013 at 6:17pm
Mike that does look awesome and with the material over it looks more Jeep like than most. I must correct my previous post, I just looked and my top is a Model 330 and not 350 as I originally posted. Bad memory there. Attached is a pic of what I did with Masonite as a teen back in the 60's then glued the Naugahyde over it. I am replacing the hex headed brass screws I used back then to hold it up there....really tough on your head when you bounce up against them!!!resized_100_3824.zip
Coldwater
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2013 at 6:59pm
Sean, before you go bending the windshield, check where the hinge at each side is located.This is where the pivit bolt is located so the  windshield can rotate forward on to the hood.  The bracket on later Jeeps was slotted so you can tip the windshield forward and back by loosening the bracket so it will go up and down allowing the tipping action. I have both the half and full Koenig cabs now, and plan on painting them a cream white inside and out. The white lets you see much better inside. Light grey or tan works too. Dynamat makes a stick on insulation you can put on for sound deadening and more cool/warm. I planned on light colored masonite for the coverings.  Take some time and mock up the whole top on the tub . By adjusting the windshield brackets you should get a better fit side to side. That includes the doors at the same time. John ( PS.  if your brackets are not slotted, you can either use later ones, or slot yours)
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2013 at 7:49pm
I'm not home so don't have the brochure with me. Here are some tech pages from it.

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Coldwater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2013 at 8:26pm
Really helpful Mike, thanks. My top is stamped "Model 330" (see pic) not 330L and yet it has the original locks. Maybe back then all the 330's were stamped as such but it would be invoiced as a 330L if you wanted locks installed? Looks like the brochure is dated 1955, does Mike or anyone know when they first started making these tops for the 2A's?resized_100_9882.zip
Coldwater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 2:14am
Coldwater, your photos aren't coming up. (Well at least not on my iPad or iPhone). If you use photobucket.com it posts them very easy.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Coldwater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 4:27am
Here are the pics of my headliner uploaded as images:

Coldwater
Coldwater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 4:30am
Mike, thanks for letting me know about the images. Here is the pic of my Model number off the cab uploaded as an image.

Coldwater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 5:17am
The plate was nothing like that. It was brass and had no numbers.

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Coldwater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 5:45am
Interesting...we bought our Koenig top new in 1955 and have been the original owners ever since. All door handles, locks, channel, head liner, door liner, etc. has matched up exactly to any and all that I have seen since. Here is a pic of the top on the Jeep and the interior of the top showing the original lead based primer they were shipped with. Man, that stuff really resisted the rust!
Coldwater
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2013 at 5:01am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Sean, before you go bending the windshield, check where the hinge at each side is located.This is where the pivit bolt is located so the  windshield can rotate forward on to the hood.  The bracket on later Jeeps was slotted so you can tip the windshield forward and back by loosening the bracket so it will go up and down allowing the tipping action. I have both the half and full Koenig cabs now, and plan on painting them a cream white inside and out......................

It was great meeting you John!!

Glad to see the Koenig 1/2 cab go to a good home and get used!

Best of luck with everything coming up!
Randy
5 Jeeps, 4 HAM radios, and not enough things that go 'BANG!' (no, not hammers!)

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2013 at 4:03pm
Neat thread guys!  Mine has the 335 half cab, I guess, looking at the catalog. My ID plate resembles the second one show, ie without a model number stamped in it.  My 'headliner' material was the same as you described, hardened and badly warped.  I threw it away when I painted the top and drive without it.   One comment on the steel top:  it sure is a lot louder inside than without!  lots of squeaking.  Its a different experience than driving my 3A with no top.
Coldwater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2013 at 11:51pm
I noticed the same noise so as I am presently restoring mine, I plan to reassemble it using flat rubber strips every place that metal meets metal. Might limit the squeaks and limit water leaks as well. Just putting in a Masonite headliner reduced the noise drastically, I plan to insulate mine like others have done here also since that should limit noise as well along with providing more of a barrier from the outdoor temperatures.
Coldwater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2013 at 12:58am
I used a clay/putty type house window seal between all panels . It can go almost paper thin and will conform and purge out and into every void. My top was very quite and insanely warm. I used foam padding for a YJ hard top that I ordered from Quadratec.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>