Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my TC3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my TC3
    Posted: 28 Nov. 2009 at 12:04pm

I picked up this TC3 to use behind my custom jeep, I dont know what year the trailer is or what sacralige has been done to a collectors item ( dont shoot me I didnt do it) Other than Fixing a spring over conversion, fixing the coupler, the paint, and the rims and tires I picked this Bantam TC3 trailer up pretty much as you see it (this thing stuck up a mile high in the rear with a spring over conversion and 7.5 x 16LT tires). I will have to redo the paint some time next year, as the primer and topcoat (rattlecan) that the previous owner used wecked havock with the paint I tried to put over top of it. if anyone can tell me more about this trailer and what is what on it, I would apriceate it. The thing I am wondering about and I dont know if you can see it from the pictures is there is a removeable pannel in the front of tha pan that would allow you to carry longer items in the trailer. It has wing nuts and spring clips to hold this in place, and compared to some of the other "restoration" on the trailer, the removeable pannel doesnt jook jury riged.

The ideology of RADICAL Islam is very much like Nazism, except they don’t have the cool black uniforms.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2009 at 4:41am
William,

Very nice trailer!

You have one of the early Bantam T3-Cs noted by the 4 tarp hooks, the holes in the spring mounts, and the blackout lamp switch hole in the front right corner support.

The previous owner must have hauled something a little longer like you suggested but the mod does appear nicely done. I like your digital camo pattern you have used on the Jeep and carried it over to the trailer.

I'll guess your trailer to be a 45 or 46. might be able to get closer to determining if you can get the ACM number on the gusset beneath the left front spring hanger.

I'd also like to get a nice picture of the tailgate side and one showing the frontside straight on.

Send me your city and state as well for the database.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
fflintstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2009 at 3:16pm

My perminate address is in the rural flyspeck of a town called Rhodes, in Michigan 48652

I didn’t take shots of just the trailer, but I have these of the tailgate area.

I got what I feel is a pretty good deal on the trailer ( I am unemployed and consider myself a frugal sort of guy) I was looking for an M416 to tow behind my Jeep, and I found this one cheaper than what people wanted for M416's. I could tell it had enought things wrong from an originality stand point that I could do whatever I wanted with it. It had combat rims that I knew were worth some money. So I picked it up, towed it home behind my Jeep and have been tinkering ever since.

The first thing I did was to reverse the spring over conversion, that lowered the trailer a good 4 inches.

Then I sold the combat rims to cut my investment in half. I had plenty of plain 15" steel wheels from all the flat fenders I had parted out. I painted a set and got some new 7.00-15lt trailer tires for them and thats about it.

I will eventualy strip and repaint it, but the first thing is to make some light wooden benches for friends to sit on for parades and Woodward Dream Cruise.

If I get board and ambitious I will mount a set of brakes from my pile’o jeep axles and a hydralic actuator coupler.

The ideology of RADICAL Islam is very much like Nazism, except they don’t have the cool black uniforms.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2009 at 11:48pm
Looks like the early ex military tub to me, what do ya think, Art? Wonder if it has floor drains...I bet those were the original Combats.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2009 at 4:44am
here are some of the pics you wanted
front

rear

coupler, and swing down leg (this doesnt look like anything on this site)

this one shows why I cant look for drain holes yet.

and this one a buddy photoshoped to give me a chuckle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2009 at 3:06pm
anybody have opinions on this? anybody seen a front trailer leg like this?
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2009 at 3:26pm
The casting looks like the early type, the leg looks like a "homemade". 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2009 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

The casting looks like the early type, the leg looks like a "homemade". 
What would a "proper" leg cost? I am not a stickler for orignality at all, but the leg is the only thing left on the trailer that I dont like. it doesnt lock into any position, you just swing it past center and let gravity do the work. after getting rid of the tounge tool box, the grossly oversised tires and the assinine spring over axle conversion, this is the only thing remaining that I dont like. I do not think the coupler is orignal and it doesnt really have a safety latch to it. Since I will actualy use this trailer, It would be wise to either put a lunnete eye or a more modern coupler on it.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2009 at 11:02pm
That casting probably still has the hole for the locking pin, they can be fabricated, and the legs become available from time to time (someone may even make a repro). There's a lot of info herehttp://www.g503.com look in the trailer section. The military and civilian trailers are very similar. The early 3C's were converted military (minus the shocks and brakes, add the tailgateLOL)

Edited by bkreutz - 07 Dec. 2009 at 11:04pm
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2009 at 11:27pm
The drains (if it has them) will be in the front left and rear right corners. Just a small round pull ring that can be pulled down and turned 90* to open/close the drain.

Drain:

I did the spring over and big tires on my '46 M416, but did it in a way that everything is easily put back to original.

They are great little trailers! I like the theme you have, and the Rambo photochop is great!
5 Jeeps, 4 HAM radios, and not enough things that go 'BANG!' (no, not hammers!)

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2009 at 12:56am
Originally posted by HillBillE HillBillE wrote:

The drains (if it has them) will be in the front left and rear right corners. Just a small round pull ring that can be pulled down and turned 90* to open/close the drain.

I did the spring over and big tires on my '46 M416, but did it in a way that everything is easily put back to original.

They are great little trailers! I like the theme you have, and the Rambo photochop is great!
the spring over was the first thing I corrected and fortunatly it was easy peasy to reverse.
infact it was the first thing I did the very next day. I only have this one picture of what it looked like when I brought it home. dispite the poor angle you can see how high the rear end of the trailer is sticking up. bear in mind my jeep has a mild lift and is sitting on 33" tires and I am using a 2" lift drawbar/reciever. the rear end of the trailer is half way up the top!

I will crall under it tomorrow and check for drain plugs, but I am pretty sure I do not have them. I think I would have remebered seeing them when I threw on the desert tan.
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2009 at 1:17am
Wow, that is tall!!  Mine is just right for my '80 CJ7, which has 4" lift (3" spring and 1" BL) and has 33's.

I made fender extensions that bolt on, easy to do with the flat M416 fenders! Also made a bolt on landing leg extension, as well as parking brake relocation brackets.

It would take less than 2 hours to return back to original, which just mat happen, now that I have a couple of 2A'sWink  My dad has a stock M416 also. Unfortunatly, both of our trailers had the lunnette 's cut off, but at least the castings are fine.

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2009 at 1:21am
Just thinking, since yours has a tailgate, it wouldn't have the floor drains.

The ones without tailgates would need the drains. They also could float with 500 lbs of gear in them!

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2009 at 3:16am
Over the winter I plan on making some lightweight wooden benches so some people can ride in it during parades. I will make some bows/canopy that I can throw camo netting over. If I can get a few good pictures of the stock landing leg or find someone locally that I can measure theirs then I will try to fab something that looks more like the original. Doing research for that will keep me busy for a while.
I also really want to start working on my 9-slot grille. I think that will really be the finishing touch on my “flatfender Willys TJ”.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2009 at 4:31am
The original legs are a 2 piece affair, the upper portion is cast, while the bottom is formed flat stock, if you look at my project thread http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/t3c_topic9361_page2.html there are pictures of it on the second page, as well as a picture of someone else's. Might give you an idea of what it's supposed to look like. 

Edited by bkreutz - 08 Dec. 2009 at 4:33am
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2009 at 4:54am
Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

The original legs are a 2 piece affair, the upper portion is cast, while the bottom is formed flat stock, if you look at my project thread http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/t3c_topic9361_page2.html there are pictures of it on the second page, as well as a picture of someone else's. Might give you an idea of what it's supposed to look like. 
Thanks, I had allready looked at that post, and that was one of the factors that lead me to beleave mine was not right.  I have a person nearby with a GPW and an M100 so I am going to see if I can go over and take some dimensions and pictures. Assuming he still has it, he was laidoff before I was and people are leaving Michigan in droves.
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 4:00am
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by dmeyerrph dmeyerrph wrote:

There is a leg on ebay right now
WOW great picture of what I need to fabricate. money is too tight right now with being unemployed and christmas. I had seen one on ebay before, or in sombodys post or something.

Right now I have to fix what I think is a bad ground on the trailer lights. I have turn signals but the running lights are bright and I assume using the turn signal filaments to find a ground. I am taking the trailer up north today, unloading it, tucking it and the jeep away till spring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>