Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New body prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2017 at 8:23pm
Yeah, that ding doesn't bother me much. I thought about doing the hammer and dolly bit and back to Bondo and repaint. I have other things to worry about.
It's just a stinky old Jeep that my nieces and brother love to ride in.
uncamonkey
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 6:28am
I just painted my original hood and front fenders.  They looked much like what you have shown.  I think its normal for there to be some distortion around the wire stiffened edges.  Likewise, the "lip" of the front flat fenders had some wrinkle marks.

Anyway, I personally think the MD Juan replacement bodies are a great value, and of reasonable quality for the application.  I recently looked in to some replacement body sections for an FJ40.  The tub was like $8,000.  I picked my MD Juan tub up for like $2,200 shipped.  $8K would have blown up my budget :(

Then again, I'm the kind of guy that sprays it with rustoleum tractor paint...So my level of expectations are probably a bit different Smile
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 8:39am
Before you paint the tub, check the spot welds holding the rear top bow sockets, mine broke recently, the spots were tiny.

I cleaned it all up and mig welded the outside of the pipe for about 3/4 inch top and bottom.

Also check the fuel tank strap bracket near the trans tunnel end, mine was on backwards.

I put previous post up several years ago with all the issues, might pay to find it before painting much more, but perhaps some of the faults from MD Juan have since been sorted?.

Speedo hole also a tad too small.....there was heaps of issues that I only discovered after the Pasture Green went on.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 9:07pm
I put all those brackets on myself so I know they're solid and I hope I don't forget to check anything
(hope). This one is going to get the glove box from an M38 grafted into the dash, that may be interesting.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 9:35pm
Lee  if you decide to draft the m38 glove box, could you take some pictures I'm thinking of doing the same thing this winter with mind.

Edited by Gil - 14 Aug. 2017 at 9:37pm
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 10:32pm
This one is getting it, if it comes out good I'll probably do it to mine too. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks, haven't amounted to much for the last couple of months, lower back issues got some injections that seem to be helping. The hood and front fenders are all done, grill and tailgate are almost ready for finish and drivers side is almost ready for primer. After that I have to fit the windshield then tackle the glove box. My plan is to get the int. and ext. all ready for paint then flip it over, prep and paint the bottom then flip it back over paint  the int. then the ext. I plan on masking the whole bottom then the int. because I don't want any over spray.
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 3:02am
MD Jaun has competation coming over the horizon in the form of Joe's Motorpool. The same company that is marketing the new WO carb for about $300.00, is going to making kits and repair panels. From what I seen in Cleveland the quality is equal to or better than orginal WO!!! The prices I saw and was quoted is about 30-40% less than MD Juan and in some cases 50% less. 
They had a very wide range of high quality parts in their booth at MVPA-Cleveland show (i.e.-new high quality water pump @ $60.00). MD will either improve quality and lower the price or the market will change over to the innovatative competitor. Check with D&L or RFJP.  

Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 7:52pm
Any idea when they will be selling body parts?
nmbailey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by johnnybravo johnnybravo wrote:

MD Jaun has competation coming over the horizon in the form of Joe's Motorpool. The same company that is marketing the new WO carb for about $300.00, is going to making kits and repair panels. From what I seen in Cleveland the quality is equal to or better than orginal WO!!! The prices I saw and was quoted is about 30-40% less than MD Juan and in some cases 50% less. 
They had a very wide range of high quality parts in their booth at MVPA-Cleveland show (i.e.-new high quality water pump @ $60.00). MD will either improve quality and lower the price or the market will change over to the innovatative competitor. Check with D&L or RFJP.  

Or they just lose market share in the US but still sell internationally to other countries where CJ's can be found and vendors that already have some in stock slash prices to get rid of what they still have.
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ
1988 Mazda B2200
1947 CJ2a s/n 123737 - Soon to be in progress... for the last 6 years...
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2017 at 6:59am
hmm...when distributors slash prices to sell, manufacturers lose market because distributors don't have as much money to replenish inventory, reguardless of location. Manufacturers stay afloat by innovation, efficiency, quality and fair price. Loose or lag with any of these and you don't last long unless you have captive market. Even with captive customers the free market will eventually create your competition. Generally buyers want good quality at a fair price and this requires manufacturers to be creatative and efficient. 
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 10:41pm
Did some sanding and priming this morning and had to sand one of the tail gate chain brackets on the body. Underneath that nasty black primer was some rust and I could see that all of the mill scale was not removed, that always seems to cause a rust problem down the line. The square front top bow brackets came from the same dealer and one is bare steel and one has scale on it that I will have to blast off, no way to sand it all off. Make sure if you buy new fabricated steel parts that they are bare steel that stuff is a real pain to get off.

Edited by leecarr - 20 Aug. 2017 at 10:45pm
nmbailey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by johnnybravo johnnybravo wrote:

Even with captive customers the free market will eventually create your competition. Generally buyers want good quality at a fair price and this requires manufacturers to be creatative and efficient. 

Walmart disagrees. People want crap products at ultra cheap prices so what when it falls apart it's cheap to replace.

I still think that if better replacement parts come available at similar, even if just slightly higher, price that with word of mouth of the Jeep forums and communities that the demand of MD Juan parts stateside will drop and distributors will just try to get rid of them. On the other hand, other countries will still pick them up because they'll be less expensive than exporting US made bodies. I'd be willing to bet that a large portion of the price of a replacement tub is due to the cost of importing them, hence US made products can be of better quality for similar price.
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ
1988 Mazda B2200
1947 CJ2a s/n 123737 - Soon to be in progress... for the last 6 years...
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2017 at 12:24am
Better quality yes, cheaper price maybe. One big problem, labor rates. If we have to pay some moron $15.00/hr
To make french fries what will someone with enough skills to do it get paid. More trade schools less art history majors.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 11:18pm
I can't decide which one was a bigger pain to get ready to paint, spent a lot of time straightening out those hood sides and louvers.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 8:22pm
Finally got some more parts painted blue, a tiny bit orange peely but fine. Now on to the windshield, I've got it parallel to the cowl and by bending on of the arms I was able to center it. Now I have to put the weather strip back on and make the latches work. Part of the problem was that the weather strip was too long, I probably cut 3 inches off of it.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 10:34pm
Man that looks fantastic. I can only hope mine comes out half as good. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 10:51pm
Our first Jeep (MB) was a blue a few shades darker than yours. It was much better than the purple our mother had us apply the first time. (Keep Mama happy).
uncamonkey
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2017 at 2:34am
Looks  very nice. What material are you spraying?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>