Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New CJ2A owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2017 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by danover321 danover321 wrote:

Looks like your tub is a repro from MD Juan. The seat rest spot welded in the incorrect location is a dead give away. No matter, you have a nice rig to play with. Could you possibly post the body serial number from the front driver side toe board gusset?

If its a repop tub would it even have a ACM number on the Gusset? Also if its a late 48 Tub made by Willys then no Gusset number either. If it is a repop tub then his only hope for a number (unless the firewall plates were transferred would be a Frame number near the Left front Bumper Gusset.

I also notice it either didn't come with (as in a repop) or has had the Top Bow and rear corner pockets shaved off.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2017 at 11:27pm
Very nice 2A!

Originally posted by stugiv stugiv wrote:

One thing that doesn't appear to have gone together well is that the passenger seat rubs against the wheel tub. Not sure what the best option is to stop that from happening.

You could try to bend the front legs on the passenger seat. If you can increase their arch a small amount, the seat will miss the wheel well and reach the seat perch. It's not a super easy approach...and would probably require repainting the seat frame.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
stugiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stugiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 2:16am

Looks like your tub is a repro from MD Juan. The seat rest spot welded in the incorrect location is a dead give away. No matter, you have a nice rig to play with. Could you possibly post the body serial number from the front driver side toe board gusset?

I had it out for a spin today & looked for it. I was wondering why I couldn't find it until checking the message now & realized I was looking on the passenger side. Embarrassed  It's not at my house, so I'll look again prob tomorrow.

I'm not sure what you mean by the toe board gusset though?
stugiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stugiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 2:21am
Originally posted by Doodledad Doodledad wrote:

I was derailed by the floor mats..... The knob you need has a brass thread insert in it. Appears someone tried intalling a "push on" style. The crap on the threads of you lever will come off with a die. I believe 5/15 Fine. Walck's are great to deal with.

Ha, are there some strong opinions about floor mats in the forum?? Smile  I was doing some forum searching about rolls bars (which I'm considering) & found quite a few deeply held opinions.

Thanks for the thread info. I was going to just keep trying different sizes until I found the right one, but this will make it easier.
stugiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stugiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

If its a repop tub would it even have a ACM number on the Gusset? Also if its a late 48 Tub made by Willys then no Gusset number either. If it is a repop tub then his only hope for a number (unless the firewall plates were transferred would be a Frame number near the Left front Bumper Gusset.

I also notice it either didn't come with (as in a repop) or has had the Top Bow and rear corner pockets shaved off.

The original firewall firewall serial # tag was transferred to the new body. It's held on by screws & I'm hoping that won't be a problem when I get a VIN check done. I recall reading in the past that they like to see them pop riveted on. I don't see a tag on the frame, but it's possible it was painted over.
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 1:49pm
These are toe board gussets:

Look at the driver side for a number. Also, MD Juan tubs do not come with the top bow brackets attached, the new owner must install them upon arrival.

Edited by danover321 - 10 Apr. 2017 at 1:55pm
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 6:27pm
MD Juan tubs do have a number stamped on the leading edge of the driver's side toe board gusset. It will give you the date of manufacture and the size and style of the lettering is very similar to the ACM number on 48 and earlier 2A's.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

stugiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stugiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 4:19am
I believe this is the front of the toe board gusset as seen from the engine compartment? I don't see any numbers on it, though I feel some dimples under the paint.

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:06am
Those dimples are the MD Juan numbers, they have just got a thick coat of paint over them.

There is a link here somewhere that you can date the tub, the newer ones are better, older ones took a hell of a lot of work to get them fitting well.

I have one and am happy with it, hunting for another VEC body was not an option when I have the only one in the country
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 6:57am
Repro or no, it looks like someone put a lot of time and money in to it.  Perfect for a driver.  Working on 
them is OK once in a while, but driving is better, especially if you have some nice country two lane roads.

You can get a threaded shift knob.  If the threads are too messed up, you can cut the head off a bot and weld on. If done right, you won't even be able to tell its there.
Jasonkusel1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonkusel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 10:54pm
Can you tell me how to post pictures? New to the forum and haven't figured it out yet
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 11:08pm
How to post pictures is covered in the Suggestions, Comments, and Testing section under the Forum how To's. It will be the first thread under the Forum Topics.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12