Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New guy questions and intro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:34am
For those who asked for pics. As you can see some disassembly required.  I'll post more pics in the other section as I make progress.

I'm still unsure of the direction the jeep will go. I might remake the body out of heavier metal. Or I might buy an omix body. As for the drive line... i still don't love the idea of fixing the wiring then getting the engine running only to find its underpowered. I admit I've never driven an original l134. But it's a lot of work to get it going and the "rare" 3 on the tree shift setup also doesn't sound so interesting. I really think I want to go with at least a 225 dauntless and preferably and overdrive or the 4.3 with some totally custom setup. 
Plenty of time to think about that and see what becomes available.  Today I decided to stop when I removed the wheels that I really hoped to reuse and found 3 rims had 9 lug nuts completely stripped or rusted. I spent over 3 hours trying to carefully remove them, then finally had to break out the blue tip wrench and cut them off. Of my 4 rims 2 got the holes melted and 2 were simply too rusted through to reuse.  I'll be searching the want adds for 5 rims in the future as well. Such is the joy of jeeping.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:02am
Thought I would mention there are left and right hand lug nuts(it will be stamped on end of lug nuts. Most busted studs you see are on the left side......turn rt. to loosen Joe wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 12:55pm
hmm probably would have been good to know last night but half of the nuts on both sides were stripped and rusted before I ever got near them.  I'm not sure that detail would have saved all my wheels but it might have left me with at least one good spare. Either way good to know for the future.  thanks.
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 2:22pm
Not to be to negative here but you are right, in some places especially near large city's the Hp/speed can make driving one of these jeeps unenjoyably to drive for some . One member here ran into that https://thecj2apage.com/forums/this-is-the-pile_topic29127_page1.html and sadly after spending a lot of time bringing it back he sold it because it wasn't enjoyable to drive on the roads where he lived.
Its going to be hard to build something that can safely maintain 55-60 mph, these jeeps were never meant to do the driving we do every day.
But all that being said, I drive mine mostly on the road with very little off road, and the HP/ speed doesn't bother me much. I can average 45 most of the time and if I need to get on a primary road I can run 50-55 with the overdrive with little down shifting. I also drive it the 10 miles to work (2 mile of primary road 55mph) and most of the time I can do it without holding up traffic. I've also driven it in small towns such as Mount Airy,nc without any trouble. After driving my YJ w/2.5 it really doesn't seem that bad for a 70 year old truck .
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 3:29pm
Mike,

After seeing the pictures and reading what you want to do with it - I can understand our hesitation.  48willys is right.  If you want to drive it in traffic it will be a disappointment as a stock vehicle.

Stock has its limitations.  You might read Jpets Universally Modified post in the Modified section of the form.   He has built quite a machine with the old jeep flair.

Edited by Stev - 02 May 2017 at 6:37pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 4:36pm
First, congrats and welcome! Thumbs Up

Second, no doubt... it's yours...you do you.  

My only input is personal opinion, so read it and immediately forget it, lol.  I don't like the earlier iterations ('45, early mid '46) where changes were being made getting restomod'd to replace functional original equipment. Nuances like the three on the tree, or floating hubs, etc. get watered down and lost.  Yes, selling these items helps others return theirs to (near) what they were.  There are plenty of late 46-48's and 3A's out there screaming for or already sporting swaps and lifts and tires and... without removing an original column shift because it's inconvenient.

My issue to deal with...you should have forgotten it by now Wink

As for life under 45mph, I'm constantly amazed (amused?) by the line of cars one can collect up behind while speeding.  The vehicle doesn't matter, only the context.  I can be going all get out in my 2A to maintain 42mph in a 35mph zone and have cars up my arse, or left laning in my Tacoma cruising 75-80 passing every car on my right and there is always someone that feels trapped behind me.  In the 2A I try to pull over at intervals and let folks by... in the taco they can rot back there.  YMMV.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:53pm
Oh I'm not one to be upset by anyone's opinion. I find different views are most important and certainly welcomed.

Personally this jeep is far from mint condition so a true restoration is going to be costly. For my needs I'm not sure it's what I want either. I have no interest in a museum  piece. I could have easily bought a near perfect jeep and saved myself the effort. I just want something to drive around from April to October that's fun and makes me happy.  

Not to mention I live in nj where if your aren't doing 70 you will be killed or at least pulled over and beaten. It's nj. It's our way. Even the local roads here 50 is about the minimum. 

Sure an original willys putting around is pretty cool but only at the county fair and maybe a parade.

So to me it seems like a lot of effort to rewire the jeep, rebuild the carb and fuel system, only to find out I have a top speed of 44 mph. I'd be working that poor little engine to the red line just to get a cup of coffee on Sunday morning. I'd almost call it abuse to the poor thing. Even if I go with the v6 I'm going to be working those gears pretty hard to do 55.As for the 3 on the tree. it just doesn't hold my interest. I prefer 3 on the floor. or 4 on the floor. or if anyone can tell me how to fit it under the jeep I'd love a 5 speed from an s10 or something. I'd also love to be able to stop with better brakes as well .   yes I've owned jeeps from the 60s to the 80s and even my cj 7 was far from a modern vehicle. I have plenty of smooth quiet powerful vehicles. My tacoma has a modified 4.0 v6 that produces close to 300 hp. My tundra can has a 6 speed automatic and we'll over 430 hp. They are everything I'd want in a moder car. I'm not looking for the jeep to be that either. I just want it to be fun and somewhat road worthy at least for around town at 50 mph.

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:17pm
As for a very bias view,.....read on... I like original and its a shame to see another rare Jeep chopped up.

What you have would be very desirable to a lot of people and what your wanting is a lot that the Willys never had, speed being the main one.

You are in for a lot of work what ever way you.

How about a later model, with a repro body sat on top.

That way you get the look and the original gets to survive another day.

My opinion and your more than welcome to print it off and flush it down the toilet

Edited by Adrian - 03 May 2017 at 6:32am
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:35pm
I actually wouldn't  object to that. I know I wanted a flat fender cj with low hood. Purely  for looks. I've done too many cj5 projects and find the high hood cj3b unappealing. Nothing  against  them. I just liked the look of the 2a more.   I browse  the local jeep listing more than I should and noticed classic jeeps are way overpriced in nj for junk bit once they are restored they seldom go for more than 10000. Jeeps that are in far worse shape than mine have asking prices of around 3000. Once I became serious about buying a new project I started looking nationally. You guys in the south west have no idea how good you have it.  North east winters eat jeeps.  Anyway  after two months I found a cj2a in Arizona  with a dauntless  225 and overdrive  and a good body. The guy was asking 3500. I must have called him a dozen times. He couldn't  believe I was a serious buyer and really did want to ship the jeep to nj. I offered check. Certified check certifed transfer, paypall, even offered to send western union. In my final effort I offered to send payment  to my towing company and have the driver physically hand him the cash in person if he agreed to sell me the jeep at asking price and wait till the next week when the transport driver could get there with his rig. The guy decided to sell the jeep for $1000 less to a local buyer.

Anyway that afternoon my jeep popped up on Craigslist.  it was 45 minutes away and I had an early afternoon  at work and an open trailer. The guy was asking 1500 for my little basket case. I got him down to 1300 which is still 3 to 400 more than I thought  the jeep was worth but it was close. The frame is solid and it has a title. The title alone was worth half the price of the jeep. In nj a clean title makes all the difference  in these projects. Without that piece of paper you could spend months rebuilding only to have the state tell you you can't drive it because it's not documented.  with a title I could put a 500 cu motor and a turbo charger on it and it's a legal 1946 jeep.  without  a title I could restore it to exact factory specs and nj would then spend 3 months thinking it over then decide no the parts are aftermarket so we're going to classify it as a 2017 special purpose vehicle.  now go put airbags and emission controls and every other modern saftey feature in or its for off road use only.  I've banged my head against that wall before.
So I have my classic little basket case jeep filled with parts a collector needs but I don't want.  life is odd. if I find a different jeep or a different drive line I'm happy to trade. the "rare" parts have no value to me.  I just want to get a jeep looking thing on the road and running well to enjoy it. My goal was 4th of July but looking at the jeep in detail as I start to fix the body I'm thinking I'd be lucky to get this jeep out of the garage  on its own by labor day and probably  another year before it looks or drives decently.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:56pm
Paperwork is definitely key, shame it has a marketable value.  As for the 3-400 you think you overpaid, lol, amortized over the project you'll never feel it Wink...

These things all started their lives as tractors, and over 75 years lots gets changed/bubba'd/removed/etc., so just figure out where you need to get and don't throw anything away without researching it and at least getting fair market value for it. It can help offset.  You'll be doing you, and helping another jeepnut finish or upgrade their rig in the process.

IMO, get it running, steering, stopping before you worry about changes... That'll give you time to stumble across something else, may give you time to fall in love with what it is, and at worst the parts you remove if you go that route will be more saleable in working order.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Paperwork is definitely key, shame it has a marketable value.  As for the 3-400 you think you overpaid, lol, amortized over the project you'll never feel it Wink...

These things all started their lives as tractors, and over 75 years lots gets changed/bubba'd/removed/etc., so just figure out where you need to get and don't throw anything away without researching it and at least getting fair market value for it. It can help offset.  You'll be doing you, and helping another jeepnut finish or upgrade their rig in the process.

IMO, get it running, steering, stopping before you worry about changes... That'll give you time to stumble across something else, may give you time to fall in love with what it is, and at worst the parts you remove if you go that route will be more saleable in working order.
X2
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 4:59am

IMO, get it running, steering, stopping before you worry about changes...

For maximum safety, first get it steering, then stopping, THEN running. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

IMO, get it running, steering, stopping before you worry about changes...

For maximum safety, first get it steering, then stopping, THEN running. 
Wrong, stopping, steering and then running....in that order.

If done backwards you will go at a very nice speed into something that wasn't in the way in the first place.
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 11:28am
Oh no we are getting into the philosophy  questions. What came first, the chicken or the egg... what to fix first. I don't think I've ever owned a jeep that initially  had brakes. I've driven some that just used the plow and low gears quite effectively for a decade or more. 

As for me I'm starting with the frame and suspension.  I want them solid then I'm going to decide on axles. My stock ones will probably  be left in place once they are given new bearings.  Then I might fix my lack of wheels problem or my lack of body problem .... who knows ... i work on a little bit here. A little bit there and in theory I'll have it all together  again soon enough then I can see what's going to break next.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 12:15pm
Ok, so in my world its self evident that you dont go joyriding with no brakes or steering any more than while blindfolded.  My bad, lol.  Honestly, I start with the engine because this has the largest potential for money out put, and if the block needs too much work there's decisions to make.

If you're self control is abnormally low, or  you're stupid enough to drive while blindfolded, stupid should hurt...ymmv
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 1:21pm
Haha in the north east everyone with any land has an old plow jeep or something. They usually run well enough to move but seldom have brakes. It's the first part to rust out and if your just pushing snow or playing around in an open field brakes as odd as it sounds aren't needed much. I'd probably  fix them rather quickly if the vehicle  were to go on the road but just messing around in a field or up and down a long driveway yea I've run jeeps for years by stopping in low gear or dropping the plow blade.  probably  not the best choice but hey it works. I agree normally getting any motor running is first on my list when starting a project but in the case of the jeep there is no electrical system so I'd have to wire up an ignition. I might do it anyway but if the engine is really under powered I'm not sure it's worth the time to build an ignition system, clean up the carb and all that. it's probably  a days work since I don't know what a 46 willys  actually needs to run. engines I know well  I could probably start in 2 hours.  I know it's a simple motor. Maybe I'll look at it tonight or tomorrow  just for fun. But I'm a little concerned by the 6 volt system. Do I really need a 6 volt battery  to start it? I have plenty of 12 v. I'd have to go buy a 6 volt. I could at least put an impact driver on the engine and run a compression test. I know it spins. If it has compression it will probably  run.
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 1:41pm
Just to see if it runs shouldn't take much time or money. Only really need two things, power to the coil and fuel. You will be ok cranking it with 12 volt, only thing you may need is a 12v coil but I have run a 6 volt one off 12 volt with a resistor for a short time and it may be ok without a resistor just to see if it will start.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 1:59pm
ok I'm curious  now. I'll make it my mission to start the jeep before the weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>