Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New here
    Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 7:50pm
I thought I'd introduce myself quickly before I start hammering you guys with questions. My name is Todd and I live just outside Detroit and I've had a number of CJ-7's but I now have my first CJ2A and it needs lots of work. I bought it sight unseen from 6 states away thinking I was getting a good deal. The former owner said it had a cracked block and was ready to get rid of it for a discount. He also stated it had a new body on it but when it arrived I discovered it had a newish MB body on it. I'm pretty sure that what I bought is a collection of parts resembling a 1948 Jeep CJ2A.  Anyhow, moving forward I will be replacing fixing every single thing that is wrong with it and I will probably need some assistance from this excellent forum.
Thanks
Todd

P.S. I also have a hot rod model T and am working on a 1930 Packard
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 9:16pm
Welcome in.  This is the BEST and most HELPFUL board out there.  Really great people here.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Welcome in.  This is the BEST and most HELPFUL board out there.  Really great people here.
2x. Always good to see fellow Michiganders on the form("institution of higher jeep learning") Use the search engine to find in depth info on any part. Keep us posted. Joe Wadoyado, in the Grand Rapids area.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
tfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 9:38pm
Thanks guys

willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 10:50pm
I bought it sight unseen from 6 states away
-----------------------------------
An often said story, why do the ones in our own state never look good?
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 11:24pm
Welcome aboard... some of the best dogs are mutts ;)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2017 at 2:32am
Welcome Todd. Looking forward to seeing your project.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2017 at 2:54am
Welcome Todd.  Handshake
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 3:59am
Welcome aboard tfee. You'll find answers to all your questions here. The folks here are fantastic! Post up some pics for us.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 6:13am
Welcome aboard Todd!

What are your plans for this "Jeep Salad"? Is it going to be a Daily Driver,(DD), or a "Trailer Queen" taken to shows on a trailer, (preferably enclosed), or is it going to be a "Trail Jeep", used exclusively off road? I am guessing a combination of some of the above.

Again, Welcome to the madness, Cpt Logger.

PS. We need pictures!
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 11:40am
Todd,

I'm in Troy, not too far away. There are a handful of guys about an hour's drive around you.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 1:26pm
Todd,
Welcome to the group.  It is always great to see another Willys being saved.  If you get a chance you should try to come to the 25th Willys Reunion Anniversary celebration. May 19-20, 2017. This year’s show will be held in centrally-located Columbus, Indiana should be a great chance to see a lot early Jeeps.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
tfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 2:21pm
My plans for the Jeep are to use it on the trails around our cabin in Waters MI. We have an old 1950's log cabin on the AuSable river right next camp Grayling which is a huge military training base in the upper part of lower Michigan. We often have blackhawk helicopters, F-16's and most frequently, A-10 Warthogs flying right over the cabin. In fact we are only about a mile away from the bombing range and on weekends the air is often filled with the sounds of machine gun fire and bombs going off. Some of them rattle the windows. Some may find this unnerving but I love it and run outside every time we get strafed by an A-10. The guns on those planes have a distinct sound and if you'd never heard it you might think it was coming from an alien invasion. The Jeep is going to live at the cabin and it's going to get used so it has to be as reliable as it can be. There are thousands of miles of trails in northern Michigan and I plan on doing some exploring. Camp Grayling itself is open to the public on days when they aren't blowing things up and it's 147,000 acres of forest, plains, lakes and rivers. Should be loads of fun.
tfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 2:30pm
tfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 2:37pm
Here's a pic of the Jeep as it looked in the previous owners garage

tfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 3:14pm
And here is what it looks like now:

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 3:16pm
That is not an MB body. I would guess it is an MD JUAN replica.
BOULDER 48 2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 3:24pm
so, did you find that the block was cracked?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>