Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 7:13pm
I pulled the crank and pistons out last night and can't find any obvious cracks. I even filled the block back up with water and found no leaks but that doesn't mean they aren't there. I think I am going to walk away from this block and swap the internals out in to another new block. 

The body is a bit of a mystery, a large portion of the floor is removable and it has gauges (mounted upside down) that look military and the hand brake is left of the steering wheel. I don't know what it is. The fenders have been repaired many times and are full of bondo and aren't even screwed down to anything but the grille and tub. The window frame isn't too bad but it has no inner frame, brackets or glass. My favorite part though is the gearshift knob, it was glued in place. I tried to unscrew it and it popped right off. 
tfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 7:15pm
tfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 7:16pm
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 8:41pm
I'd go for an M38 Repro body, exactly what mine had when I go it.

Its got that poor fit look to it.

Its looks quite sound though and could be traded for a more accurate one.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
tfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 9:11pm
If the budget allowed I'd do something like that but for the Jeeps intended purpose a knock-off body will do. Besides, the frame rails are all cobbled up too. This Jeep is not a good candidate for restoration but it will make a fine trail rig. 
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 9:31pm
In that case, drive into rocks often and then it will be perfect
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 4:12pm
The tub is an early vintage MD Juan reproduction.  It has a combination of CJ and M38 features.  

I am guessing that in the early years of MD Juan,  M-38 tubs were readily observable in the Philippines but CJs style tubs were not.  To offer a CJ style tub to the civilian market, they did just enough research to learn that the M-38 was the most similar to the CJ.  Remembering that there was no internet in the 60s-70s, they mostly saw outward photo views of CJs. They were able to duplicate the gas filler portal, and no battery box in the cowl, etc...but the internal stuff was a mystery.  So, they just made them like the M38 with the removable gauge cluster, removable floor pans and glove boxes. 

Again, just my theory. 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
tfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 5:00pm
Vintage. That's a good word. It implies that, like a fine wine, my tub has matured and has gained sophistication with age. It may not be true but let me believe it for a while before you go and burst my bubble.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 5:24pm

LOL

Definition of vintage

1. 1a (1) :  a season's yield of grapes or wine from a vineyard (2) :  wineespecially :  a usually superior wine all or most of which comes from a single yearb :  a collection of contemporaneous and similar persons or things :  crop

2. 2:  the act or time of harvesting grapes or making wine

3. 3a :  a period of origin or manufacture a piano of 1845 vintageb :  length of existence :  age

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

The tub is an early vintage MD Juan reproduction.  It has a combination of CJ and M38 features.  

I am guessing that in the early years of MD Juan,  M-38 tubs were readily observable in the Philippines but CJs style tubs were not. ....
Rommel was actually telling us about this at the reunion a few years back.  When MD Juan started making tubs, it was not for "restoration" purpose like we think of in the hobby.  They were simply making tubs to put on rusted out old jeeps so that they could be driven and used.... not to be picked apart at a car show  They had an M38 tub to start with so that is the one they reverse engineered.  As jeep restoration became a hobby they started making more variations.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 5:51pm
My favorite old vehicle word is PATINA. If you point it at my pile of rust it makes is sound classy.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

That is not an MB body. I would guess it is an MD JUAN replica.
Welcome to the madness, Troy...

I agree with Terry, the body looks to be a MD Juan body. They are supplied without top bow storage pockets or the pockets for the bows when you have the top in place. They are available separately if you want them at places like Walck's or Kaiser-Willys.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 12:49am
Originally posted by tfee tfee wrote:

A-10 Warthogs flying right over the cabin. Some may find this unnerving but I love it and run outside every time we get strafed by an A-10. The guns on those planes have a distinct sound and if you'd never heard it you might think it was coming from an alien invasion. Camp Grayling itself is open to the public on days when they aren't blowing things up and it's 147,000 acres of forest, plains, lakes and rivers. Should be loads of fun.
     In the 1980's I worked for a company that won the contract to build a "gas diverter" for the rotary cannon on the nose of the A-10, the 4200 rounds per min.(that's 60 rounds per sec.) of cannon fire, produced so much gun powder that it could stall the above wing mounted turbofan engine. We got to see a movie of the A-10 in action destroying tanks Awesome! Your very lucky to see it in action. My first thought was what a great place for a jeep party! Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 12:57am
Made a slight error in my math it should be 70 rounds per sec. Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
tfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 1:05am
That's 70 of these a second. The bullet, not the beer
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 1:56am
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Originally posted by tfee tfee wrote:

A-10 Warthogs flying right over the cabin. Some may find this unnerving but I love it and run outside every time we get strafed by an A-10. The guns on those planes have a distinct sound and if you'd never heard it you might think it was coming from an alien invasion. Camp Grayling itself is open to the public on days when they aren't blowing things up and it's 147,000 acres of forest, plains, lakes and rivers. Should be loads of fun.
     In the 1980's I worked for a company that won the contract to build a "gas diverter" for the rotary cannon on the nose of the A-10, the 4200 rounds per min.(that's 60 rounds per sec.) of cannon fire, produced so much gun powder that it could stall the above wing mounted turbofan engine. We got to see a movie of the A-10 in action destroying tanks Awesome! Your very lucky to see it in action. My first thought was what a great place for a jeep party! Joe Wadoyado
...and the Air Force wants to put them all in the graveyard at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base at Tucson. Greatest close-in troop support weapon since the A-1E Skyraider ("Spad") during the Vietnam era. If the Air Force doesn't want the A-10 then they should hand it off to Army Aviation. The "Warthog" gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Support our Troops".

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 21 Apr. 2017 at 2:00am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 7:44am
All those Air Force generals who didn't want the Warthog because it wasn't pointy and couldn't do Mach 2+ needed to be slapped.  The ground pounders and the Warthog drivers love 'em.  'Nuff said!

Oh yeah--that early MD Juan body is likely made of some crappy steel.  I bought one of them in '78 and I should have instead just thrown $1,000 away.  I'd have been better off, living in oh-so-humid Ohio as I did then.  Rust Belt, indeed!

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 22 Apr. 2017 at 7:49am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2017 at 10:33pm
You know, the Soviets didn't nickname that plane "the Devil's Cross" for nothing. It's a well-earned reputation.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>