Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New in Washington state

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New in Washington state
    Posted: 05 Sep. 2018 at 5:56am
hi ya'll. New here. Names Michael from SW Washington. And if I've figured it out this here is my Willys. 

Edited by Mike F - 15 Sep. 2018 at 2:47pm
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2018 at 5:58am
well I don't quite have the hang of it.  Yet. Gimme time
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2018 at 6:11am
Welcome! I'm about an hour west from you in Astoria OR.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2018 at 6:21am
road thu there last Sunday.  Both ways.  
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2018 at 11:35am
welcome, Mike! Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2018 at 2:59pm
Hey Michael,
Nice looking rig!
Welcome to the forum.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2018 at 3:03pm
thanks to all. It's titled as a 55.  Was told it's a 49. Look good in a picture. 
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2018 at 7:13pm
Hi Mike

Love the looks of your hot rod...color is nice too...the radial tires look spot on...welcome to the craziness...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2018 at 8:13pm
thanks MikeC. It’s a pretty good 20 footer
Running gear need some tlc. But it runs and and I can drive it
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 5:04am
M-38 windshield frame.  Is that front bumper on upside-down?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 7:52am
Mike a great contact for you in SW Washington is Richard Darr at Washougal Classic Jeep he has used parts new parts is the source of rebuilt transmissions/Transfer cases for a couple of the BIG Willys parts dealers. He handled the machine work on my engine (he has some secret machine shop do the work extremely reasonable price. And he is a great guy.

You can find him on Face Book or at 360-513-9824 tell him Mark from Silverton recommended him.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 4:18pm
Good to know.  I had heard of him.  lucky to be so close to guys like him and Herm the OD guy.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 5:12pm
LOL, Maybe  there's a few things on her that are just wrong.  I have seen the term Bubba thrown around.  Kinda fits.
On myself, Dad had a jeep back I the 60's when I was a kid.  it was a ford that a sheet metal guy built a body for.  As a 8 or 9 year old I really wanted to drive it.  All I could do was mess with it. I wasn't supposed to be messing with it.  I recall having the front end jacked up in the garage one day.  I guess learning how use a jack.  I had it up there a ways but couldn't figure out how to get it back down.  Running out of time, if figure I would just push the start button and it would fall off the jack.  it did and kept going through the garage door.   It was sold off soon after before I could reach the pedals.  probably for my own safety.  No problem I would get me one when I grew up.  Fast forward some 50 years and here we are.

The Jeep.  The story goes that she came off a ranch in Rancho Cucamonga.  It wasn't titled until 55.  I don't know how long the PO had it but it looks like it went through a cleaning up and in the 70's maybe.  The PO passed 15 years ago and she sat ignored in a barn for a long while.  the PO's got her out and running.  New tank, Carb, Brakes, Steering, some wiring, etc.  Said He was going to restore her and his wife came down with some heath problems.  A wad of cash and 12 hours of driving with a borrowed trailer and now its mine.

I start digging in to it when I get it home and nearly everything that makes it go needs attention. Brakes work in that it will stop.  but after looking over some other things they need to be pulled apart.

The engine kind of runs.  pulling the dip stick the inside of the filler tube shows signs of water.  tests indicate its not from the cooling system.  reading the manual I got it turns out there is supposed to be a PCV valve.  according to the manual I would see the water signs I do with out it.  While going through this I took a compression test and its a solid 60 psi.  So, Its running as well as can be expected.  Better really.  While I'm looking into rebuilding this Henry J Supersonic shows up on CL.  the price is to high.  Couple weeks later it's less.  then its even less.  Long story short I bought it for even less.  it's story is that it had been rebuilt long ago and never run.  The guys dad was a HJ racer back in the day.  You pull the 134 out of a HJ and stick in 400 HP then you got something that'll keep up.  Dad had picked it up as a spare for a car he bought 20 years ago.  New the guy that built it, swore it was good.  I get it home and pull the head.  0.020 over outside of a little bloom from sitting for 20 years looks good.  Valves are new.  I'll pull it apart and look over the bearings build it back up and the Willys will have a new heart. 

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 6:54pm
It's your Jeep but don't get too crazy with the engine. I have driven a few that had too much under the hood. On one Jeep I had to rebuild the transmission twice and the rear axle once (not mine). If you want to get silly during WWII some guys put an Allison V12 in a Jeep. Talk about overkill.
uncamonkey
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 7:07pm
Must have not been clear the new motor is a Henry J L134 Kaiser Supersonic.  Or, at least the block is.  Head is a Willys that Someone has removed The J in Jeep and milled the head to Supersonic spec.  The 400 HP was what was put in the Henry J for racing.
I'm with you on flat fender HP.  To much is not a good thing.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 11:04pm
Love the seats, my engine is a 52 Henry J super sonic. 
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 11:26pm
Soft leather, tuck & roll.  They are a little nice for the intended use.  I need to find a head for it to complete the Supersonic package.  Right now its just got the supersonic tag on the block.  you can get those on eBay.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 2:00am
if the slots are for a license plate I would say yes it is. Thanks for pointing that out
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>