Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New leaf springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharptailhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New leaf springs
    Posted: 11 Apr. 2017 at 5:24pm
Howdy,

My sons and I acquired a 2a/3a mess to make into a project. It has some rather saggy springs. We'd like to have about an inch or two of lift, nothing crazy though. Any suggestions on what springs we should get for it? If swapping out shackles and bushings is required then that's ok. We're actually taking the body off and that should be a good time to get suspension, brakes, and steering all sorted out.

Thanks, Alex
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2017 at 7:44pm
I'm not sure if you're referring to the front springs, but mine were sagging badly to the point my fan blades would rub the radiator shroud when I hit a slight dip or bump. Replacing them with stock shackles, springs, and hardware added about 2-1/2" in height back and it sits where it should. I also replaced shocks as well.

Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

sharptailhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharptailhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2017 at 8:55pm
I'm thinking all four corners need to be replaced. Any advice on a particular brand of spring or place to buy them?
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2017 at 9:38pm
I purchased only the fronts from Walcks, my rear springs are still the 71 year old originals. I did replace all 4 shocks, as they were toast (the rear shocks were 71 years old as well). That being said, be warned that the pivot bolts that are out there are longer than stock and therefore put the cotter pin hole out past the castle nut. Not much you can do unless you find some NOS parts out there.

Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2017 at 12:37pm
I replaced all four on mine with crown springs from 4WD, but that was like 10-12 years ago, things could have changed. Mine had broken leafs, broken eyes, and was riding on the bump stops. I got like 5-6" of lift with the new stock height springs, after settling in it still rides at a nice height.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 3:24am
I put Superlift 1" springs under Ol' Unreliable in about 2001 or so.  The ride is still a bit rough unless there's a good load inside.  My frame is somewhat twisty, so no two corners sit at the same height.  I don't think the springs have sagged at all since installation.  I'm happy with 'em.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 3:48pm
When compared to old stock springs, my experience has been that new stock style springs will naturally give you 1" to 1-1/2" of lift and possibly more.  I purchased the Omix Ada stuff because they are 'economically' priced.  If you like a stiff, stout ride, choose the 10 leaf fronts and 9 leaf rears.  I can't give you a thumbs up or down on how well they hold up.  Both CJ3As have them, but both have less than a years worth of use.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2017 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I put Superlift 1" springs under Ol' Unreliable in about 2001 or so.  The ride is still a bit rough unless there's a good load inside.  My frame is somewhat twisty, so no two corners sit at the same height.  I don't think the springs have sagged at all since installation.  I'm happy with 'em.

Similar thing here. My jeep is stretched 24" right behind the front seats. I went with 2.5" lift Rancho springs and 5113 shocks, and stock shackles on all four corners. The ride is very stiff, and between the springs and longer frame, I get a LOT of frame flex.

I went with a taller, heavier spring because I'm planning on adding a full roll cage and six foot long roof basket. The cage should mitigate most of the frame flex. My plan is to be able to load the jeep down with hunting/camping gear and not sit below stock ride height.

I've had the springs installed for about a year and they've softened up a bit, but I suspect they're not as supple as the stock units.

Jpet has done some extensive research into springs for these rigs. I think it's in his 'Building a Universal Modified' thread. He goes into the science of springs, covering leaf thickness and leaf count, overall length, arch, all of it.  I wish I had waited to buy my springs until after he'd done the research. I would have made a different choice. I think he ended up running stock leafs from another style jeep on custom hangers, and ended up with a very good suspension.

With my Rancho springs, my jeep's normal load sits about 1.5" from full droop. This makes rough roads really harsh. I'm hoping that the cage, basket, and a bumper mount tire/fuel carrier add enough weight to drop it's height an inch or two.

We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, figuring out the 'right' springs really depends on knowing what you want to do with the jeep.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply