Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member here
    Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 5:37pm
Hello Group !

I am very excited as I just purchased some new Yard-Art !

The new piece is a 1946 Willys CJ-2A with original chassis and running gear.
Now, I was so happy to find it in "unmolested" state, and didn't even ask if it ran. It was seeping water out of the head gasket on the passenger side, so I figure I may have a cracked head.   I will refurbish the little 4-banger L134 to run like a Singer sewing machine once again, and can't wait.

So, for a quick introduction of myself - Leonard Shaw
I grew up in an engine machine shop and loved watching those old machinists rebuilding engines and grinding crankshafts. My father was a parts-man at the business, and showed me the "Interchange-Book" for the world of automotive parts.

Just retired from work 8-months ago, at age 66, as a California highway engineering surveyor for the last 20-years. My area was from the Calif. / Oregon border, south to the Butte County line near Chico, California.
Now I can work on My projects .. the Willys, but not yet.

In 1985 I bought an old but original 1946 CJ-2A and did a complete Frame-on rebuild to run the Willys on the famous Rubicon Jeep trail, near me.
I rebuilt the entire drive-train ( it popped out of 2-nd gear ) everything was in a state of dis-repair, so I punched out the old valve-guides and installed new guides and valves. hand lapped the stems to guides with valve-lapping compound. Deglazed the cylinders, on and on......
   i stitch-welded a GM smog air-pump pulley to the face of the L134 crank pulley to run my added AC Delco power-steering pump, and using an Advance Adapters power-steering box mounting plate i installed a Saginaw PS unit, and i modified a '76 Corvette tilt-teloscopic column to the Jeep.
   Worked great with one finger turning in the rocks.

I drove the little '46 Willys through the Rubicon trail 2-years, and sold it when the 3-rd child ( the boy ) came along. :-(

NOTE - there were places on the Rubicon where the little Jeep chugged to a halt, and could have used the 6:1 granny gear of a T-18A or SM420 transmission.
   I used my 8724 winch to pull me on through.

Now i have renewed my passion for that terrific machine that i parted-company with so many years back.

I am looking forward to some good exchange of ideas and knowledge learned in my years of driving Jeeps. I grew up driving a '53 Willys pickup ( Dads ) and always had some sort of Jeep.

I recently picked up a T-18A 4-spd transmission to maybe couple up to the little L134 engine. ( i know there will be sacrifices )

I have visited the Overdrive-guy's webpage, but i Just don't have $$$$$.

Is there any other Adapter out there which will mate the T-18 to the L134 ?

For the time being, my new Willys CJ2A will be "yard-art" until my schedule opens up by summer.

Len ( Greaser007 ) .... yes my nails are always black from grease.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 5:46pm
Welcome aboard Len!  I'm a newbie here too, but I'll tell you, there is a ton a great info in the archives, get familiar with the search function. Lots of great guys here too that are always helpful.  

Lets see some photos of your new yard art!
Steve
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 6:00pm
WelcomeEmoticons to the page.  Lots of help and information here.  Always something to learn about old Jeeps.

Tom
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 6:30pm
Hey Len,
Welcome aboard!
Let's see some pictures of your "yard art."

A group of us ran the Rubicon last year with our flatties.
Lot's of pictures and videos in this thread. 

We're going to do it again this year if you managed to get y our new acquisition put together by the end of July.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 7:13pm
Welcome to the forum Len! Look forward to your friendship
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 7:54pm
Len,

Welcome.  Post some pictures!

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 7:59pm
Welcome, Len... great bunch here, tons and tons of info... THE best forum I haunt, lol.

Looking forward to some pics!  You'd think "ya seen one flatty, ya seen 'em all", but in 70ish years they all have a different story to tell.... and a picture is worth a thousa-  well, you know...

Thumbs Up

MB
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 8:02pm
thanks guys !

Steve, Tom, Stan and Jpet.

It is so wonderful when our equipment works !

My first year throught the Rubicon, gulp .... I met up with an "old-guy" in the prettiest black CJ2a with chevy small-block and Granny trans.
   He was crawling up and over the side-trail around the Little Sluice, and this was 1983. He had silver gray hair and looked ancient.
   I asked him how he was able to keep his jeep so clean and straight.

His words of advise -

Do your wrenching at home and make sure everything is at its Best.
DON't listen to your buddies when they tell you to "hit it harder next shot."
Let your Pride-go, and stack a few rocks to save damage to your vehicle.

I'm now that Old Gray Guy ......... it happened quick.

I still have my trusty '77 CJ-7 with the T-18A transmission.
Except for the 2-years that I ran my CJ2A, I ran the CJ-7 into the Rubicaon each summer from 1983 thru 2001.

I listened to that Old-Guy, and had my Jeep prepped-for-race-day best, and stacked lots of rocks. After putting that T-18 in that jeep in 1984, I don't think I spilled my beer ever-again, and had no need to slip the clutch either.
I pulled it down summer of 2002, to check my clutch. Other than normal wear, it looked perfect after all those runs through that trail.
    My Preference, I run in from the spillway on the west end of the trail, at Loon Lake, and drive in as far as Buck-island Reservoir, and then camp out then turn around and climb back up the granite slabs back to loon lake, which is on my side of the trail.   And I thought the trails were tough around my home town in northern California. how wrong I was.

I have seen so many nicely built jeeps on the Rubicon.
The group which impressed me the most was a Willys Wagon group out of Colorado back around 1995 maybe. Those were some Nice Willys !

And yes .... reminiscing ....
i'd better run outside to look at the CJ2A Yard-art
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

....And I thought the trails were tough around my home town in northern California. how wrong I was.....
Have you run Fordyce Creek?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 8:27pm
Welcome to this great forum!  Second step is to master the picture posting function! Keep the posts and questions coming

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 3:24am
Oh YES !! Jpet ........ I have a great story of Fourdyce.

I convinced my wife that we need to go "in-search-of" the Fourdyce trail.

So we departed Home, which was Red Bluff, California at the time, 1986, and we had a our first daughter with us in a home-made child carrier wedged inbetween the bucket seats. We were in my '77 Renegade CJ-7.
   Let's find Fourdyce !

We had no idea how to find the trail, and wound up climbing straight up a boulder-ridden trail until I broke the front driveline. I crawled underneath and unbolted the driveline, then the hill was so bloody steep, it was a real booger to attempt backing-down to find a place to turn-around.
   We finally got back down to the fork in the trail that i had missed, and drove on down to Fourdyce creek, which was much Too Deep to ford.
   And, had i could-have, it would have been fruitless to climb up the Meadow-lake side of the creek. This was not on a sanctioned weekend, and the Utility Company had the creek flows way-up high.

I have never yet been on the Meadow Lake ( north side ) of the creek.

Another interesting California trail is the Dusy-Irshim trail up in the Sierra's east of Fresno. And below that trail is the Swampy-Lake trail, which a local down there in a Rock-Buggy told me was like a mini-Rubicon.
   Swampy-Lake trail ..... i have not been on it yet.

Now, back to the Dusy-Irsham trail, it is a 3-day trail from Courtwright Reservoir 30-miles up to Kaiser Pass.
   It snowed on my dad and i up there in August !!

We were running solo, and yes i take a spare battery for welding.
Anyway, there were two other groups of 4x's up there during our journey, and with my T-18 tortise gearing, we played Leap-Frog with the two Groups for the 3-days, very fun.
   The Highlight of the Dusy-Irshim trail is the gate-keeper "Chicken-rock" and "Thompson Hill". There are granite Domes that are Breath-taking.

I ran the Dusy-Irshim with my fiberglass top on. watch those trees !

In visiting with people on the Rubicon trail, there were some fella's who told me "you have to run the Dusy-Irshim trail". ... so i did.

And yes, the two groups were a bunch of jeeps out of the lower San Francisco bay area, and a group of Landcruisers from Los Angeles.
    One of the Landcruisers broke a Pitman arm, and i voluteered to offer my welding services with my 2-batteries. We had the pitman arm back together with two bolts welded to the arm and they were back in business.
   I have never had to use it, But .. i carry "Super-Missle" welding rod. You can weld broken leaf springs with "super-missle".

Ok, i'll quit writing .............. for now ...... ha

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 5:38am
Welcome aboard,  sounds like you bring a LOT of experience to the forum. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 2:14pm
Hahaha ....... oh dear me, I can see already that I will be spending way-too much time on here digging for info.

I am not sure exactly how to sort this all out, and surely one of you (oldtime) can lead me in the right direction for mating a T-98 / T-18A to the L134 / F134.

here is what I have found this morning.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/wanted-t98-to-l134-1-iron-adapter-plate_topic20419.html

I am curious of which input shaft I should be looking for.

This transmission is the only real modification to my new '46 2A that I would like to retro-fit ....... well, if probably power steering.
   The newer Cherokee PS boxes are a dime a dozen as with the steering linkage.

The '80's GM smog AirPump Pulley fit nicely onto the front of the L134 engine pulley when stitch-welded for providing a pulley to drive the AC Delco PS pump.

The two-years that I drove my '46 through the Rubicon, we drove in from the west end at the Loon Lake spillway all the way to Rubicon Springs and on through first year. Second year went into Rubicon Springs turned around and climbed back up and out. I like climbing back up the Big Old Sluice, which circumvents climbing up the Slabs between Spider Lake and Buck Island lake.
   I always tagged the same rock each year with my right rear corner while climbing up the Slabs, no matter which path I tried, the rear would always get kicked over into that same rock, even with my CJ-7.

Let the Good Times Roll ........ crunch crunch .... oh Ouch, dangit .....

There is one spot mid-way up the slabs where is gets so slick with trail dust that you must hit it in sheer momentum to launch up high enough to get a grip, when the tires screech and scream burning through the dust to firm granite.   Hahahaha ........... gas it, but very carefully in desperation.

Are the palms of your hands Sweaty yet ! ...... darn tootin.

I am not too fond of the Lake Tahoe side of the trail, so I tend to stick to the "California" side of the Rubicon River ( the Springs ).

Good God that Rubicon Trail is punishing on vehicles.

1985, we were coming out of that trail easing our way down the slabs on the Wentworth Springs side of Spyder Lake, and came across a VW engine sitting on the ground. Where did that come from ? Then later on about a half-mile on down the trail we came across the baja-bug body ( minus-engine ).
    Darn the luck ...............

Punishing trail, and a half-**s rig will surely fall victim.

Any link to follow for the L134 / F134 to T98 / t18 would be helpful.

I am going to spend way-too-much time scouring the threads ......

Should I start a fresh Thread in the area for Mods, or should I add to and revive the older link for discussion on the Adapting of the L134 to T98 ?

....... thanks guys !

and I am hoping to attempt loading a photo !
   I was not able to paste a photo link to this message ..... hmm ?

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 2:25pm
Once you get past the basic T90 you've completely exhausted any knowledge I may have had and forgotten LOL

Just chiming in to remind you if you're using the search function at the upper right, always use the advanced search.  The basic search is useless, IMO.  I've also had decent luck with the recently added google search bar at the top.

M

ETA: and also note that clicking the "go to the cj2a home page" link at the upper left takes you out to where there is a link to the "old message board archive"... a previous forum iteration.  There is no search that I'm aware of, but I'm an information sponge so I don't mind scrolling Wink.  You can also frequently find information on the 3A, 3B, G503 sister pages...  so long as you end up back here, lol.

Edited by mbullism - 17 Jan. 2018 at 2:31pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 1:56am
Welcome to the page!

The easiest way to hook a T-98/T-18 to a Go-Devil is with the bell housing that came attached to the front of the T-98 when it was taken out of the CJ-3B/5 whence it came.  That's what I hope to do some day.  I've had the T-98 for a couple years and just haven't been able to make the swap yet.  Some day......

Oh, I actually don't know if the T-18 can use that bell housing.  Someone will know.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 4:01pm
Glad to have you on the forum Len. My experience to wheelin in your part of the country has been limited to running the Rubicon last year with the great group of guys here on the forum. We have a CJ-3B project to start and finish before we will likely be out to run some California trails again. Hopefully the next time we venture your way we can run the Rubicon again along with Fordyce, and a couple other trails with you. I am looking forward to seeing the pics of your 2A and CJ-7. Brian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 5:41am
   Ok Guys ....... i'm back !

I do have some good news _____ I guess. My frame tag number 59219 matches the body tags in the upper pass side firewall.

Butt, I could not make out the numbers stamped into the body mount brace.

And I don't think it matches the frame tag.   Hmm

____ maybe someone had changed out bodies at one time but switched tags to go with the new body ?

Good News !! ...... this is unrelated, but some of you may be in a similar quandary. I have volunteered to trouble-shoot the transaxle of a Ford YT-16 Lawn Tractor. It is a 5-speed box made by Peerless. After spending 3-afternoons cleaning and shimming (with what shims I had, nothing correct ) and finally in desperation I decided to check the "clocking" of the shift-detent ball holes in the shift plate, in relationship to the shift-fork in all gears.
   I had to re-clock the shift fork in my Vise with big Crescent wrench.

It WORKS !! ___________ we do win a few battles, and no broken nails.

So, I have been reading up on some info I found in the search bar for mating the T98 / T18 to the L134, and haven't yet found a link to which input shaft to use ? out of which application for L134 clutch spline.

One thing that AMAZES ME - while on the Rubicon in low-gears creepy-crawling along in the rough stuff, I cannot belief hubs and axles don't break just from the Ratcheting front-to-back while inching along.

I'm sure that you other guys also encounter this, and it is simply amazing that things don't break just from the stress of the torque implied by the Ratcheting front to back.

I did read the link to Pirate 4x4 where the fella was working on installing a T-98 into his L134. He didn't mention which input shaft to use.

Now, I have been fortunate that in my 16-times running the Rubicon in my '77 CJ-7 ( with Novak T-18A ) I never did break anything.
   But, I would perform some major service on some drive component each year in preparation for the gruesome punishment that trail inflicts.
   Yes, I have lots of little dents all around the jeep, painted over with brush until next time. Oh, in 1988, I ran through with my fiberglass hardtop on, and tagged that big boulder that you must crawl around at the top of the slabs into Buck Island, and it pushed the side glass out of my hardtop, leaving a 5-inch long gouge in the window glass.
   When I got home, I had a glass shop engrave "RUBICON 1988" above the scratch.

You guys outside of California have a Looong drive to get to the Rubicon.

I want to share this little thought - when in search of the Rubicon back in 1983, my wife and I, and a buddy with a 6-cyl Landcruiser and his woman, we drove around in the dark all night looking for Wentworth Springs. No Luck !
   We finally bedded down for the night at the end of a logging road. When awakening in the morning, we were in about 2-inches of logging dust. Yuck.
   And we found our way back to the Ice House Restaurant to get Directions.
That First trip through was a Big-Eye-Opener ! ... my knuckles are still white.

The enjoyable part of the wheeling is when everything works as Planned.

Is that possible ........... hahaha

Len
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 8:17am
The numbers on the SN, body and frame tags should all match.  These will not match the stamped engine number.  The  stamped ACM number on the toe board gusset will usually match the ACM number on the tailgate (mine are off by two) but will not match the engine or tag numbers...  

Basically, the L134 was produced for more than just the 2A and were taken off the engine line as needed.  The bodies early on were produced by ACM, their numbers stamped on the body, and delivered to Willys where they were renumbered with tags to match the SN.

It's neat if the tag numbers match, but  kind of indicative of nothing as they are reproduced and easily swapped.  There are loose relationships between the tagged, engine and ACM numbers but nothing direct.  My frame has been bubba'd and the tag missing.  I have a clean frame and a new matching tag waiting to go in.  Sometimes tags get swapped to get a jeep on paper.  

Edited by mbullism - 19 Jan. 2018 at 8:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>