Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member - New 2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2009 at 6:37pm
Nice 2A you found Opus. Do you think that is the original color? I like your intent to keep it near original as it looks to be in great condition. As long as you asked, I'd like to see an inside shot of the windshield and dash also the engine compartment. There is some real nice country there in NW Arkansas (Devil's Den) for trail riding. We have spent some time there and down to the Jack Creek area. There are many of us that had 2As or other Jeeps as teens and are now reliving that period.LOL

Welcome to the page, WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2009 at 9:02pm

WFB - I have found nothing that indicates the original color was anything other than black. And, yes you are right NWA has some great trail riding. The "westfork" in your screen name wouldn't happen to refer to a small town around here would it?

Currently Jeepless
Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2009 at 9:14pm
As promised, pictures:

Passenger side parking light:

From behind the grill:

Under the hood:

Gauges:

Dash & Windshield:

Passenger side floorboard repair:

Bottom side of toolbox lid:

Front license plate bracket:

Front license plate bracket again:

Handcrank:

Questions and comments welcome. Enjoy!  Smile
Currently Jeepless
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2009 at 9:21pm
Nice pics, thanks. Is that hand crank a 2 piece? If it is that's a great extra to have. (military was one piece, civilian was 2 piece so it could fit in the toolbox). Also looks like the windshield is a later 2A (could be wrong though, the dating of when the various configurations is still a bit murky). One place to look and see if the color is original is on the underside of the trans tunnel. Looks pretty good though. At least on the floorboard repair you can't read the letters from the roadsigns that I've seen used as donor material.LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2009 at 10:57pm
Gale - The crank looks like it's two pieces to me. But, I have not been able to get it apart. This is the first one I've seen, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I'm not sure about the windshield. But it does have the "lollipop" style braces, and the round washers on the bow retainer hardware.

The underneath of the body is all black, but different than the most recent paint job. So, as I said before, I have not seen anything to make me think this Jeep was any color other than black originally. As I spend more time with it, I'm sure I will get a better feel for that one way, or the other.

As for the repair material: you should see what the previous owner made the glove box out of. The door is sheet metal, similar to what the body panels are made from. But, the box itself is made out of a rectangular 1 gallon can like "Coleman Fuel" comes in. I can make out the words "Montgomery Ward", but that's all I have deciphered so far.

Currently Jeepless
rballagh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rballagh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2009 at 11:12pm
That looks like a great jeep Clap.  It looks like you have the handle for a governor to the left of the steering wheel.  Does it have a governor and/or PTO? 

Oh, and Welcome!

Ryan
48 CJ2A #176544 "Rodeo Red"
Mixed salad CJ3A mostly

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2009 at 11:12pm
Sounds like you have an original black one. Kinda rare I've heard it wasn't a popular color back in the day. I have a preference for it though. (I keep telling myself I'll never get another black one but when it comes down to buying a new one, or restoring an old one, I always end up with black somehowLOL) At least the PO was somewhat creative in using a square tin can for a glovebox. Looking forward to your discoveries as you progress along. (soak the crank joint with PB Blaster, that stuff is great).
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2009 at 11:38pm
Yes, this Jeep did have a governor and a PTO at one time. Unfortunately, both were removed before I ever saw it; a great dissapointment to me. Unhappy

I do have a can of PB Blaster in the garage. I think I'll spray that crank down tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion Gale!

Currently Jeepless
mogger7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mogger7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 12:08am
On the 48 2A the license brkt is spot welded . no visible weld . At least on mine
mogger 7
mogger7
Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 12:40am
Originally posted by mogger7 mogger7 wrote:

On the 48 2A the license brkt is spot welded . no visible weld . At least on mine
mogger 7

I am certain the bracket on my 2A is homemade, or at least home-repaired. The pictures were included here due to a couple of responses to my original post. I sort of get the feeling that a couple of members here have an ongoing 'discussion' regarding original front plate brackets. LOL
Currently Jeepless
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 1:07am
That front bracket looks like it's made up of pieces of 2 different brackets, The lower part is wider that the part welded to it. (and that is a pretty cobby weld, even by Willys standards.LOL) I don't have to be concerned with a front bracket, the "horseless carriage" plate that I have on mine only goes on the back. But I guess I could put one on so I could hang a "Honk if you..........." plate.LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 1:33am
Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

That front bracket looks like it's made up of pieces of 2 different brackets, The lower part is wider that the part welded to it. (and that is a pretty cobby weld, even by Willys standards.LOL) I don't have to be concerned with a front bracket, the "horseless carriage" plate that I have on mine only goes on the back. But I guess I could put one on so I could hang a "Honk if you..........." plate.LOL

I don't need it either. My state only requires plates on the back; regular or antique. I have this 2A registered as an antique. I'll probably take the front plate bracket off. If I can get the bolts loose from the weld.  LOL

Currently Jeepless
47goDevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47goDevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 6:44am
Nice images, thanks.
I now know how to mount that front license plate and the dash gauge positions .
 Those bullet lights look to be chromed , I'l go black as they were . 
Thanks .

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 10:58am
Nice jeep, I'd try to just polish it up a bit and don't worry about a resto! Again nice Jeep!

Maker of the Reedkini
Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by 47goDevil 47goDevil wrote:

Nice images, thanks.
I now know how to mount that front license plate and the dash gauge positions .
 Those bullet lights look to be chromed , I'l go black as they were . 
Thanks .

Glad I could help. Let me know if you need any more pictures.

Originally posted by trader_reed trader_reed wrote:

Nice jeep, I'd try to just polish it up a bit and don't worry about a resto! Again nice Jeep!

Thanks. That's the plan for now, just clean it up a bit and drive it. After I get the brake work done, and generator rebuilt, I'll probably keep it at our lake place just to ride around in.

Currently Jeepless
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 3:28pm
Opus, first I'd better welcome you too, cause second, I'm gonna ask ya to get more data and photos! Big smile.  You've got a real nice fairly original rig there!

Quote The motor number is J 76123.
Can you get more engine data for me?  Your engine is one which I'm trying to research.  All the data I'm looking for is here:
Engine Block Poll
And how about a good close-up photo of the rectangular decal (the upper one) on the oil filter?  Decals usually don't survive this long, and we're still not certain what they looked like.  Is there a decal on the filter lid?

And last, if you want to, add your rig to our research database:
CJ-2A Research and Data
Sean

Edited by sean - 24 Jan. 2009 at 3:28pm
Opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 3:50pm
Sean - Thanks for the welcome. I have time on my hands today, so I'll crawl around the Jeep and see what data and photos I can get for you. Do you want the images posted in this thread? Or, do want me to get them to you some other way?

I gotta run right now. But, I'll check back in later today.

Currently Jeepless
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 4:37pm
Opus:
Quote ... Do you want the images posted in this thread?
You bet, for all to see!  Don't really need photos of the engine pieces though, just the numbers.

Thanks!

Sean
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>