Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Project!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by dougc21032 dougc21032 wrote:

... we decided to pull that blue one out since that one turned super easy.  

"super easy" gives me pause, lol... and my order of operations would also typically involve buying a bag of chips, and then eating them one at a time, if you know what I mean LOL

(pick one thing, do it very well, and then move on to the next... rinse, repeat.  People that take on too many projects at once end up with multiple jeeps rusting away in the weeds while their son in law harasses them about fixing one of them up Wink )

LOLOL.  Too true.  "super easy" relative to the two that were completely locked up.  Also, to whoever asked earlier, this jeep apparently does have a title... somewhere.  
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 9:08pm
" this jeep apparently does have a title... "   That's a good thing, how good depends on where you live. Here in Colorado, when I evaluate a jeep (Or any other old vehicle) towards making an offer, I figure a good title is worth $300.00.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

... we decided to pull that blue one out since that one turned super easy.  

"super easy" gives me pause, lol... and my order of operations would also typically involve buying a bag of chips, and then eating them one at a time, if you know what I mean LOL

(pick one thing, do it very well, and then move on to the next... rinse, repeat.  People that take on too many projects at once end up with multiple jeeps rusting away in the weeds while their son in law harasses them about fixing one of them up Wink )
I have 4 daughters and apparently they have all clued their husbands about how sensitive I am about "ol Red"...none of them have even asked for a ride when I get her put back together this spring...let alone the possibility of getting to drive her. They have all helped some on the resto and my SIL that welds pipeines for a living did quite a bit of TIG welding for me. I will give them rides but the chances of them actually driving it are slim as I am the only one insured under a comprehensive policy. Maybe offroad...but then one SIL doesn't even drive a stick.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 9:12pm
Mike, I think you just made a reference to my many projects. Don't be a hater
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 1:36am
Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

Mike, I think you just made a reference to my many projects. Don't be a hater

Lolol...guilt much?  I never even (M)ade (A)ny (R)eference to ya,  o.(K).?

LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 10:17am
Doug,
Not sure where you are in MD, but I am in White Hall (northern Baltimore County) and would love to help any way I can, if you need it.  There are a lot of experts in this area and southern PA that do a lot of work on these old Jeeps and it always helps to have people that have been there done that.  There are tons on this page so that is a great start!
Jay
dougc21032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 4:49pm
Jay, 
I'm south of the city, closer to Annapolis.  Right now i'm trying to read w/e I can find and gather up info, how to's, and such and get things lined up to move forward.  Still in tear down mode physically.  Trying to sort out and decide if I will purchase pre-made patch panels (floor) or if I want to be adventurous and try things on my own.  
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 11:39pm
For tear down, take lots of pictures. Get a parts and a mechanics manual, they help a lot for putting it back together. Many videos for transmission and transfer case rebuilds. Get your body parts from either classic enterprises or walcks. Most parts from walcks, great prices, they know their stuff! Plus they have 10% off sales and free shipping all the time so make a list and wait for one. Plus carl has an awesome all original '46. As far as Specific questions, don't be afraid to ask. Save everything!
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 2:24am

[/QUOTE] ...but then one SIL doesn't even drive a stick. [/QUOTE]

that's why my daughter drives a stick!  She'll never be intimidated by any dude anywhere when it comes to cars... oh, and she can back a gooseneck trailer too Smile
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 3:41am
Just a "most-safe" tip for working order:

1) Make it steer
2) Make it stop
3) Make it go
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 1:30pm
Got the steering wheel off!!  What a pain.  Father-in-law ended up messing up the threads on the top cause he didn't listen and put the puller in the center without the nut or a washer on there.  LUCKILY, i have other steering columns I can steal.  But now once I get the gauges and linkages off, the body will be free and can start being cleaned up and repaired.  Then i'll have access to the trans which I assume has the clutch plate froze up... we MIGHT be getting into that this weekend!  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 5:54pm

[QUOTE=athawk11]Nice new/additional project.  Can you post a few more photos from other angles?

Gil has a good eye.  Frame gussets are 2A/MB/GPW features.  The grill looks to be modified. Either late 2A or 3A with M38 headlight rings.    Hard to tell from this photo if the windshield is M38 or 3A.  If the vent is bolted shut...M38.  If the vent has hinges and opens...3A.

I was able to take some more pictures of the red jeep that I haven't technically started working on, but would like to.  If someone can help identify it, awesome.  I am going to assume its a hodge-podge setup, but was told M38.  Also, pretty sure there is a heater under the dash on the passenger side, took a quick photo of it if anyone wants to try and identify that.  And just for fun, took a photo of the navy jeep that is still back in the woods.  

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 7:23pm

You’re still teasing me a little with the photos of the red Willys.

I see a 3A hood and Grill.  M38 style windshield.  The headlight rings are M38.  The tub is likely a reproduction 3A.  The engine compartment screams M38, but the carburetor is a civilian Carter WO. Possibly a 2A frame??   How about some photos of the tub interior, inside face of the tailgate, dash area, a shot of the front frame horns and a couple full side views?

From the one view of the gray and yellow Willys, it is an M38.

Edited by athawk11 - 22 Mar. 2017 at 7:28pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 7:47pm
I have a few more on hand that I held off on posting cause it's in such rough shape, lol.  Here they are, nothing of the tub interior from a door POV, or of the inside of the tailgate, but I will be there again today and can walk over and get them.  Anything specific I should be looking for?  

Edited by dougc21032 - 22 Mar. 2017 at 7:49pm
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 9:14pm
By the look of the hinged grill and shackle mounts the yellowish one seems to be at least part M38.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

By the look of the hinged grill and shackle mounts the yellowish one seems to be at least part M38.
...and if you look very carefully under the trash in front of the windshield you can see the lid on the cowl battery box.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 11:23pm
I never noticed that, I was too caught up on the giant heater and crazy looking hand made roof, can't see it in that photo.  I'll be working on the blue jeep this Friday for a little while, gotta get the rest of the gauges and linkage disconnected so the tub can come off.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 12:07am
Those extra photos did help. I can say with some certainty that the tub is an early MD Juan reproduction. It has a mix of features from the M38 and the CJ3A. Much of the sheet metal could be reproduction components. Maybe 1970s vintage. What is shocking is how deteriorated it is. I almost wonder if the red paint is actually the original primer finish from when the tub was shipped...and the PO didn't bother to paint it with a real top coat. Although, there is some green paint there too.

Edited by athawk11 - 23 Mar. 2017 at 12:10am
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>