Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Project!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 2:16am
Diesel fuel will work to clean out all that oil and junk, used it once on a 83 diesel Volkswagon engine out of a rabbit once.  Didn't leave it in for a week though, just overnight will work great.  I have a parts list of who to buy parts from from cheepest to more expensive if you'd find that helpful. Some manufacturers actually sell to the general public as well as other distributors.  Also, some parts from a Ford tractor will also fit the Jeep too.  And if you need it I have a lot of measurments and pics on how to make body panels and whatnot in the same book if you need it.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 10:06am
Do you have info on making the front right corner panel?
dougc21032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Becca Becca wrote:

Diesel fuel will work to clean out all that oil and junk, used it once on a 83 diesel Volkswagon engine out of a rabbit once.  Didn't leave it in for a week though, just overnight will work great.  I have a parts list of who to buy parts from from cheepest to more expensive if you'd find that helpful. Some manufacturers actually sell to the general public as well as other distributors.  Also, some parts from a Ford tractor will also fit the Jeep too.  And if you need it I have a lot of measurments and pics on how to make body panels and whatnot in the same book if you need it.

A list would be great. I also have an old Ford tractor on the farm, might have to sort out what parts can be used.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2017 at 2:04am
So... interesting day.  Got the starter lubed up a bit and it engaged the flywheel!  Had very little spark though, the search for a "generic" 12v internal resistor ignition coil wasn't successful.  Stores near me will ONLY look for items if you provide the make/model of the vehicle and could not comprehend the idea of things being altered.  So, back home I went and I cleaned every component with a wire brush and had 4 new spark plugs... sparked looked decent.  hooked up the gas line via gravity and she chugged and glugged and ran for a few seconds... then stopped.  Shortly after, I realized the carb was continuously sending fuel and it was flooded.  And the fuel was dripping out of the carb and off the throttle linkage.  So, now I'm faced with the thought of rebuilding the carb, knew it was going to need to be done...  just really despise carbs.  Overall a decent day, glad to hear it chug for a few seconds.   
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2017 at 2:12am
Your carb. might just need the float adjusted, cleaned, or a needle valve and seat.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 12:25am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

Your carb. might just need the float adjusted, cleaned, or a needle valve and seat.

Jim

Quick clean and retry... She RUNS!!! ordering a rebuild cause after it was clean it leaks more gas out. Super excited right now. Time to replace brake lines, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and shoes to get the stop part of the process dialed in.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 1:18am
Congratulations! There is something very rewarding when you bring an old engine back to life.

Sounds like you don't need the coil, but if you have a NAPA near by, their 12v internally resisted coil is part number IC14.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Congratulations! There is something very rewarding when you bring an old engine back to life.

Sounds like you don't need the coil, but if you have a NAPA near by, their 12v internally resisted coil is part number IC14.

Thanks for that part number, no napa around here, but I might use it as a reference when searching online.  Up next fuel pump, carb rebuild then, brakes. 

*Edit:  Google tells me there is a napa around here, $36.99 for the coil.   

Edited by dougc21032 - 10 Apr. 2017 at 3:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:23pm
Got some new parts in the mail yesterday! Got the new shoes, springs and wheel cylinders on last weekend.  Tomorrow will be master cylinder, lines, hoses.  Then I get to deal with the front hubs which had some SUPER old grease in them.  They are going to need some sort of cleaning, inspection and regrease.  Also had the father in law fab up a seat for me so once the wheels want to turn, I can attempt to drive and see how the transmission and transfer case want to work.  (After the carb rebuild so I dont' leak fuel all over the place)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234